I've found my coaster uni!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by hell-on-wheel, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. 'The Green Machine!'
    (http://www.huffybikes.com/products/greenmachine.html)

    Chances are it's the same hub used by 'SWAT'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT) on their 'coaster uni'
    (http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/nymw2004/coaster.avi) (right click/save
    target for video), except this one has a 20" tire and brake. I'm going
    to Toy's R Us tonight to check it out. I'd have to either modify or get
    a new frame. Though if it's from the same company as the SWAT coaster,
    the main caps/bearings will probably be too wide for, say, a Yuni
    frame.

    Someone from SWAT - what exactly did your wheel come off of?

    Looks like retail price is $100 USD, but I found one on 'ebay'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6osr7) for $65.

    I'm so excited!

    --
    hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  2. in the fifties (my! how time goes by!)
    we, kids, used to have such machines (whose name could be losely
    translated to "rowing-cycles")

    they went out of fashion .. probably because they proved dangerous for
    kids.
    (may be this model succeeded in being more innocuous
    but may be it's just an illustration of the principle "if you wait long
    enough the same error will pop up again")

    bear

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  3. It was something very close to that, but it had more of a traditional
    handlebar system.

    Ours had brake bosses, but I decided to be totally retarded and cut them
    off.

    I believe it was called a "mirco mini spin" or something like that.

    I found it in the trash...so I can't really remember.

    (Build cost tally- $1.09) :D

    --
    digitalattrition - Hand Signals are Key

    "Ok, I think if you just pull off of that guys bumper, we'll be ok"
    --Tim to ShadowUni after parallel parking.

    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    OH the Green Machine is -great-! A friend of mine has one, and it's much
    fun! We ride it down his extremely steep driveway, then turn really
    sharply at the end and either do a 180 and keep going, or just flip
    over.

    --
    James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

  5. They're a store, so I imagine they have more than one. But now I see
    that they only ship through Greyhound, plus charge $11 to package it.

    --
    hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    The one that Nick made had a fork and just stuck a seat post in it. That
    one you would need a fork to put on it.

    --
    Tim - Thread Killer

    You not that evil Nick... I think that dog is more evil then you. - me

    "The dog is my apprentice." - Evil-nick
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

  7. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Does anybody remember a pedal vehicle called the X-15? These came out
    probably in the late 1960s and were probably common in neighborhoods
    across America, named after the rocket plane of the same name.

    They had pedals on the front wheel (a precursor to the Big Wheels of the
    70s), and also the two sticks for steering the rear wheels. Who knows,
    these new toys might be made using the same old tooling from back
    then!

    I do not know if the old X-15s had a freewheel or not. Just wondering if
    anyone else remembers them.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  8. johnfoss wrote:
    > *Does anybody remember a pedal vehicle called the X-15? These came out
    > probably in the late 1960s.....*

    No.

    --
    hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    So are you speaking for everybody? Because I still remember it...

    Or should everybody who doesn't remember chime in as well, like "posting
    'Me too' like some braindead AOLer?"

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  10. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    Toys R Us has it for $80.

    I called Huffy Replacement Parts and they have just the front wheel (no
    cranks or pedals) for $32 total (includes shipping), however, they won't
    sell it to you unless you actually have the item already.... but you
    could go to your nearest toy store and get the part number and serial
    number off it and claim that you had it.

    --
    Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  11. johnfoss wrote:
    > *So are you speaking for everybody? Because I still remember it...
    >
    > Or should everybody who doesn't remember chime in as well, like
    > "posting 'Me too' like some braindead AOLer?" *

    Ouch, point taken, sorry. :(

    --
    hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  12. Tim

    Tim Guest

    EDIT: Misunderstude post

    If any one get gets those numbers to order just the front please post.

    --
    Tim - Thread Killer

    You not that evil Nick... I think that dog is more evil then you. - me

    "The dog is my apprentice." - Evil-nick
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

  13. The_SkunkMan

    The_SkunkMan Guest