I've lost my fear of the road.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Well, almost. I think I have an appropriate respect for the potential dangers. There are certain roads at certain times I just wouldn't ride. And I am used to the random ahole who has to shout some idiotic babble about "get off of the road" or whatever. But I find a lot of advantages to riding the road versus the safety paths. Better flow, no curbs/transitions as are found on paths/sidewalks (it IS legal to ride on sidewalks here). It is just .... faster.

The ability to carefully judge 'which' roads to ride and 'when' to ride them is an important tool for every rider to develop and employ.

Ride safely, MBB and enjoy every mile!

Reactions: Jcycle
Thank you, Campy. I keep having these moments on rides, going around a lake with the full moon shining on the water at 4 in the morning, no one stirring anywhere in sight in a county of well over a million people; having breakfast on a pedestrian overpass over an Interstate Highway at sunrise; seeing an osprey on a nest at sunset - awesome moments I never would have had if my life had not taken this turn. I do enjoy almost every mile, save those last few at times when I am so tired I just want to get home. But even those I am proud of. Proud of myself, proud to have gotten to know others both online and in real life with this passion. Very much loving what I do - it is still an incomparable sense of freedom.

Interesting... I am starting to re-develop a phobia for certain roads.
big-smile.png

When I started cycling alot again a few years ago I was riding anything... Including some long hauls to camping grounds for overnight rides. (Isn't being unemployed great?
big-smile.png
)

But lately I started being a bit more cautious about which routes I go unless commuting (or even when commuting).

I just don't enjoy riding bad roads anymore with traffic debris and lots of fast traffic.

At least there are a few 20km segments that I can go for a workout without worrying about too much except the babies in trikes... Hate them!
big-smile.png

That's good to hear. It's important to reduce fear and anxiety of cycling on the road, particularly those that have consistently high traffic. This way, your enjoyment of riding increases while you gradually improve as a cyclist. But as you've already pointed out, you're aware of the potential dangers and therefore stay cautious when you hit those roads. It's perfectly okay to become confident, but avoid becoming too over-confident as it's easier to misjudge traffic and commit a fatal error.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Well, almost. I think I have an appropriate respect for the potential dangers. There are certain roads at certain times I just wouldn't ride. And I am used to the random ahole who has to shout some idiotic babble about "get off of the road" or whatever. But I find a lot of advantages to riding the road versus the safety paths. Better flow, no curbs/transitions as are found on paths/sidewalks (it IS legal to ride on sidewalks here). It is just .... faster.
It's not the random asshole who is going to kill or seriously hurt you. because if he's yelling at you, it means that he's seen you, and stone sociopaths aren't that common. It's the nice guy who is distracted, in a hurry, blinded by the sun, or is just being careless. Or the nice guy who, for the first time in his life, accepts some other nice guy's invitation to stay just a little bit longer, and have "just a couple more" at the local VFW on his way home from work.

I still have a bit of that fear, especially on the rare occasion I'm in heavy traffic.

In a way, I think it's good to have a bit of that because, at least in my case, it keeps you extra aware. Like you said, it's good to have an appropriate respect for the more dangerous aspects of commuting by bike. If you end up getting too nervous about it, it can definitely work against you.

I feel like it's importance to ride with a decent amount of confidence because once you start hesitating and second guessing your line it works to everyone's disadvantage. Obviously it's important to adjust to the traffic around you, but the more predictable your route and behavior, the easier it is to give you the necessary space. At least for the drivers who actually pay attention.

I have had some bad experience on the road cycling and these would somehow get in the way for me to cut short my ride. Maybe if I were able to forget about the trauma and or heal from it I might be able to enjoy again the ride. Sometimes I can deal with the thought although there are times that I feel like being paralyzed