I've only gorn and done it.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger for
    a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

    I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options for
    payment including escrow arrangments that mean you don't
    need to take such a risk. You may be alright but there is
    many an Ebayer who's never seen the goods they paid for and
    you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
    Practice safe payment

    TOny

  3. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

    So your the bloke that has bought my deluxe Asda Special,
    top of the range 'racer' - £99.99 at the bigger Asda stores.

    Snigger, snigger.

  4. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    >>Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    >>for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon
    >

    > I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options for
    > payment including escrow arrangments that mean you don't
    > need to take such a risk. You may be alright but there is
    > many an Ebayer who's never seen the goods they paid for
    > and you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
    > Practice safe payment
    >
    > TOny

    Thats sound advice, but be careful with escrow, there have
    been many scams involving these services. They are starngers
    after all.

    Fingers crossed for Simon, hope it works out OK.

    --
    Reply To is checked rarely
    http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > > for a bike on
    e-bay.
    > > Gulp!
    > > Simon
    >
    > I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options
    > for payment
    including
    > escrow arrangments that mean you don't need to take such a
    > risk. You may
    be
    > alright but there is many an Ebayer who's never seen the
    > goods they paid
    for
    > and you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
    > Practice safe payment

    Agreed, but I can't activate paypal until I get my next
    credit card statement which could be another couple of
    weeks. I put his postcode into upmystreet and was
    slightly alarmed at the area he lives in, but then told
    myself not to be such a snob. Some of the kindest most
    honest people I've met have lived in "bad" areas and I've
    been ripped of by moneyed affluent people, so it
    shouldn't be an issue, but it's still a worry. Luckily I
    got more bonus than I thought, so if I lose it, it's not
    the end of the world. Simon

  6. Hello,
    I buy and sell regularly on Ebay. No real problems, just the odd slow
    delivery or payment Worldwide.
    I hope you get a nice bike.
    John.
    http://www.pbase.com/john28july
    news:[email protected]...

  7. Simon Mason wrote:

    > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

    I've bought quite a bit of expensive (ish) camera equipment
    on eBay and never been ripped off once in over 40
    transactions.

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

    It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you are
    "lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral feedbacks
    selling bike stuff including at least one complete bike for
    more than you paid. The neutral is a "not as described"
    rather than a non-delivery. It looks like a nice bike.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Jo

    Jo Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <dk[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > > for a bike on
    e-bay.
    > > Gulp!
    > > Simon
    >
    > It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you
    > are "lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral
    > feedbacks selling bike stuff including at least one
    > complete bike for more than you paid. The neutral is a
    > "not as described" rather than a non-delivery. It looks
    > like a nice bike.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...
    Glad there have been a few more positive responses.I realise
    it is always a risk, but I buy on ebay regularly and have
    never had a problem. Jo

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
    > > for a bike on
    e-bay.
    > > Gulp!
    > > Simon
    >
    > It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you
    > are "lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral
    > feedbacks selling bike stuff including at least one
    > complete bike for more than you paid. The neutral is a
    > "not as described" rather than a non-delivery. It looks
    > like a nice bike.

    lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried to
    get it with 45
    seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
    500 quid limit.

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete
    > > > stranger for a bike on
    > e-bay.
    > > > Gulp!
    > > > Simon
    > >
    > > I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options
    > > for payment
    > including
    > > escrow arrangments that mean you don't need to take such
    > > a risk. You
    may
    > be
    > > alright but there is many an Ebayer who's never seen the
    > > goods they paid
    > for
    > > and you will find that Ebay will not accept any
    > > liability. Practice
    safe
    > > payment
    >
    > Agreed, but I can't activate paypal until I get my
    > next credit card statement which could be another
    > couple of weeks.

    Then he could put me up on e-bay as a poor payer.

    Simon

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:08:32 -0000, "Simon Mason"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried
    > to get it with 45
    > seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
    > 500 quid limit.

    Indeed. He was attempting to snipe but doing it
    incompetently. If he was prepared to pay £470, or even £520
    he should have bid it first time. Again I would suggest that
    if you had sniped you might have won the auction for
    considerably less. It's impossible to say for sure of course
    because the lower bidding might have encouraged someone else
    to come in. The bidding history is at http://offer.ebay.co.-
    uk/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3663373808 for anyone
    who's interested.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
    Mark Twain

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn wrote:
    >On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:08:32 -0000, "Simon Mason"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried
    >> to get it with 45
    >>seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
    >> 500 quid limit.
    >
    >Indeed. He was attempting to snipe but doing it
    >incompetently. If he was prepared to pay £470, or even £520
    >he should have bid it first time. Again I would suggest
    >that if you had sniped you might have won the auction for
    >considerably less. It's impossible to say for sure of
    >course because the lower bidding might have encouraged
    >someone else to come in. The bidding history is at http://-
    >offer.ebay.co.uk/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3663373808
    >for anyone who's interested.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=366337-
    3808 says "Listed in category: Sports > Sporting Goods >
    Cycling > Bike Parts > Frames" but the description has fork,
    wheelset, groupset, saddle, bars??