I've only gorn and done it.



S

Simon Mason

Guest
Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger for
a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
Simon Mason wrote:
> Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options for
payment including escrow arrangments that mean you don't
need to take such a risk. You may be alright but there is
many an Ebayer who's never seen the goods they paid for and
you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
Practice safe payment

TOny
 
N

Nobody760

Guest
So your the bloke that has bought my deluxe Asda Special,
top of the range 'racer' - £99.99 at the bigger Asda stores.

Snigger, snigger.
 
M

Mseries

Guest
Tony Raven wrote:

> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
>>for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon
>
>
> I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options for
> payment including escrow arrangments that mean you don't
> need to take such a risk. You may be alright but there is
> many an Ebayer who's never seen the goods they paid for
> and you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
> Practice safe payment
>
> TOny
>
>
Thats sound advice, but be careful with escrow, there have
been many scams involving these services. They are starngers
after all.

Fingers crossed for Simon, hope it works out OK.

--
Reply To is checked rarely
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> > for a bike on
e-bay.
> > Gulp!
> > Simon
>
> I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options
> for payment
including
> escrow arrangments that mean you don't need to take such a
> risk. You may
be
> alright but there is many an Ebayer who's never seen the
> goods they paid
for
> and you will find that Ebay will not accept any liability.
> Practice safe payment

Agreed, but I can't activate paypal until I get my next
credit card statement which could be another couple of
weeks. I put his postcode into upmystreet and was
slightly alarmed at the area he lives in, but then told
myself not to be such a snob. Some of the kindest most
honest people I've met have lived in "bad" areas and I've
been ripped of by moneyed affluent people, so it
shouldn't be an issue, but it's still a worry. Luckily I
got more bonus than I thought, so if I lose it, it's not
the end of the world. Simon
 
Z

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Simon Mason wrote:

> Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

I've bought quite a bit of expensive (ish) camera equipment
on eBay and never been ripped off once in over 40
transactions.
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> for a bike on e-bay. Gulp! Simon

It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you are
"lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral feedbacks
selling bike stuff including at least one complete bike for
more than you paid. The neutral is a "not as described"
rather than a non-delivery. It looks like a nice bike.

--
Dave...
 
J

Jo

Guest
"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> > for a bike on
e-bay.
> > Gulp!
> > Simon
>
> It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you
> are "lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral
> feedbacks selling bike stuff including at least one
> complete bike for more than you paid. The neutral is a
> "not as described" rather than a non-delivery. It looks
> like a nice bike.
>
> --
> Dave...
Glad there have been a few more positive responses.I realise
it is always a risk, but I buy on ebay regularly and have
never had a problem. Jo
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete stranger
> > for a bike on
e-bay.
> > Gulp!
> > Simon
>
> It is a risk but I think you'll be alright. Assuming you
> are "lonecyclist" he's got 6 positive and 1 neutral
> feedbacks selling bike stuff including at least one
> complete bike for more than you paid. The neutral is a
> "not as described" rather than a non-delivery. It looks
> like a nice bike.

lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried to
get it with 45
seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
500 quid limit.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Simon Mason wrote:
> > > Posted off a cheque for 500 quid to a complete
> > > stranger for a bike on
> e-bay.
> > > Gulp!
> > > Simon
> >
> > I'd cancel it right now. Ebay offers plenty of options
> > for payment
> including
> > escrow arrangments that mean you don't need to take such
> > a risk. You
may
> be
> > alright but there is many an Ebayer who's never seen the
> > goods they paid
> for
> > and you will find that Ebay will not accept any
> > liability. Practice
safe
> > payment
>
> Agreed, but I can't activate paypal until I get my
> next credit card statement which could be another
> couple of weeks.

Then he could put me up on e-bay as a poor payer.

Simon
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:08:32 -0000, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried
> to get it with 45
> seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
> 500 quid limit.

Indeed. He was attempting to snipe but doing it
incompetently. If he was prepared to pay £470, or even £520
he should have bid it first time. Again I would suggest that
if you had sniped you might have won the auction for
considerably less. It's impossible to say for sure of course
because the lower bidding might have encouraged someone else
to come in. The bidding history is at http://offer.ebay.co.-
uk/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3663373808 for anyone
who's interested.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain
 
A

Alan Braggins

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:08:32 -0000, "Simon Mason"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>lonecyclist was indeed me. Did you see the guy that tried
>> to get it with 45
>>seconds to go? He ran out of time before he could beat my
>> 500 quid limit.
>
>Indeed. He was attempting to snipe but doing it
>incompetently. If he was prepared to pay £470, or even £520
>he should have bid it first time. Again I would suggest
>that if you had sniped you might have won the auction for
>considerably less. It's impossible to say for sure of
>course because the lower bidding might have encouraged
>someone else to come in. The bidding history is at http://-
>offer.ebay.co.uk/ws3/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=3663373808
>for anyone who's interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=366337-
3808 says "Listed in category: Sports > Sporting Goods >
Cycling > Bike Parts > Frames" but the description has fork,
wheelset, groupset, saddle, bars??