J.S. Dean. Murder most foul: a study of the road deaths problem.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Howard, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Hi folks,

    Anyone interested in the history of the current debates on
    speed, 'road safety' and driver attitudes should take a look
    at a classic book written in 1947 by a J.S. Dean, a former
    Chairman of the Pedestrians' Association. The most amazing
    thing is that most of it is as relevant today as when it was
    written almost 60 years ago.

    This book is almost unknown nowadays. Like Robert Davis's
    'Death on the streets; cars and the mythology of road safety
    (which was influenced by Dean's work) it seems many in
    society would rather just ignore the messages of such
    writers. The page below looks at Dean's ideas and provides a
    link to a full transcript of his book.

    It is worth checking it out just to see the first
    formulation of what has come to be known as 'risk
    compensation'. It also gives some very interesting material
    on the history of the recording of crash causation, the
    notorious 'attributed to' figures of the 1930's. His insight
    into the tyranny of 'road safety' education all but brings a
    tear to the eye.

    http://www.motorcarnage.org.uk/motorcarnage/JSDean.html

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Anyone interested in the history of the current debates on
    > speed, 'road safety' and driver attitudes should take a
    > look at a classic book written in 1947 by a J.S. Dean, a
    > former Chairman of the Pedestrians' Association. The most
    > amazing thing is that most of it is as relevant today as
    > when it was written almost 60 years ago.

    I have heard of it but cannot find a copy. Any leads?

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  3. Howard

    Howard Guest

    > I have heard of it but cannot find a copy. Any leads?

    Just download the .pdf of my transcript!

  4. Mike Sales

    Mike Sales Guest

    "Howard" wrote in message >
    > Anyone interested in the history of the current debates on
    > speed, 'road safety' and driver attitudes should take a
    > look at a classic book written in 1947 by a J.S. Dean, a
    > former Chairman of the Pedestrians' Association. The most
    > amazing thing is that most of it is as relevant today as
    > when it was written almost 60 years ago.

    The page below looks at Dean's
    > ideas and provides a link to a full transcript of
    > his book.
    >> http://www.motorcarnage.org.uk/motorcarnage/JSDean.html

    Thanks. I have been trying to get hold of a copy for years,
    ever since I read "Death on the Streets"

    Mike Sales

  5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Howard wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone interested in the history of the current debates
    > > on speed, 'road safety' and driver attitudes should take
    > > a look at a
    classic
    > > book written in 1947 by a J.S. Dean, a former Chairman
    > > of the Pedestrians' Association. The most amazing thing
    > > is that most of
    it is
    > > as relevant today as when it was written almost 60
    > > years ago.
    >
    > I have heard of it but cannot find a copy. Any leads?
    >
    > --
    > Guy

    A few years ago I reserved a copy from my library (Chipping
    Barnet library, London Borough of Barnet). They found a copy
    via inter-library loan, and I xeroxed the book before
    returning it.

    Jeremy Parker

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:53:24 +0100, "Jeremy Parker"
    <[email protected]>:

    >A few years ago I reserved a copy from my library (Chipping
    >Barnet library, London Borough of Barnet). They found a
    >copy via inter-library loan, and I xeroxed the book before
    >returning it.

    I think I might be able to find a copy in the libray of Bob
    Davis, but I'm not sure. Yes, library is good.

    --
    Guy
    ===