Jacaranda 94.2

G

Is there anybody out there doing the Jacaranda 94.2 Cycle Classic in Pretoria over the weekend?

When I initially tried entering for the race on-line, there were all sorts of problems i.e. the distance was indicated incorrectly, then I could'nt select the Open/Seeded category etc. etc., so I left it. :mad:

???
I've entered for the event but haven't collected my no's yet. There's so much negative hype going around I wonder if it will be worth all the effort. Now if I were a pro, that's another story - plenty of R's.

I was a spectator at last year's event and wasn't too impressed with the organisation. Hope it'll be better this year.

:) Hi Roadster. Sorry, no, I won't be doing the Jacaranda. Was there something you needed to know, or did you just want to discuss it in general with the other riders?
I'll be doing a ride in the Vaal (95km). How long is the Jacaranda?

VO2, you can still enter if you really want to, but like Big-Mig said, there's so much controversy going on, that I wonder if it will be worth while.

Elsa, just thought there would be someone else also doing this race. The distance is 94.2km and the route is nearly similar to the 94.7 (according to me) ;)

Nah, thanks Roadster. Not this year.
Elsa, what race are you doing in the Vaal?

VO2 - it's the NHK Vanderbijlpark-Suid "Fietswedren" on 2/2/02 (Sat.)
Starting Point - Old Vaaltonians Sportsfields, Vanderbijlpark. Enquiries - Hennie van Rensburg at Tel. 082-894-3394.
95km starts at 07:00 and there is also 45km and 11km.
Want to know the prize money? ;D

Thanks Elsa, might just join you there. Home-ground advantage! ;)

???
I've entered for the event but haven't collected my no's yet.  There's so much negative hype going around I wonder if it will be worth all the effort. Now if I were a pro, that's another story - plenty of R's.

I was a spectator at last year's event and wasn't too impressed with the organisation. Hope it'll be better this year.

Hi, Big-Mig,
How was your race on Sunday? Did the 94.2km in 3:06. The organisation wasn't all that bad this year, but I think the medals suck!

:) VO2 - did you do the NHK VDBP (95km) ? I believe the winning time was 2:25. I came in at 3:16. Wasn't that downhill awesome? I wasn't aware how much we had been climbing, until that mega downhill! I didn't expect it, so when it presented itself, I took advantage! ;) Great training was had by all, I'm sure. It was also nice to see new faces winning for a change, due to the serious pros being at the Jacaranda! Apparently the guy that won the 95km was at the front from the start of the race, all the way through! wow

Nope, missed out on the race. I left for Newcastle at 2am on Saturday morning to go and support my sister. She did a 42km qualification marathon for the Two Oceans.

Tell me, what route was the VDBP race run on? Did you guys go over Ertjiesberg, near 'Paris'?

2am! :eek: and I thought us cyclists got up early sometimes! Did your sister make it? 8)

The route started off at Old Vaaltonians, over the bridge, down the Ocumed road, and right at the robot. Onto the R42, and kept going until Loch Vaal. Turned right there (at the hotel) and down that road, then left again.
--- from there onwards, I have no clue where we rode (typical girl) because I just made sure to follow the bicycle in front of me... all I saw was their butt... and the big bunch that came alongside, then slowly passed with a whoooshing sound... and at some point, someone said how beautiful everything was, and for the first time, this ostrich put it's head out the sand, and I did acknowledge that it looked beautiful - SUNFLOWERS for miles on left and right hand side of the road. Wow - it looked like that picture of the Tour de France! Soon there was another uphill, and again, I stopped looking at the scenery and concentrated on the work at hand, thinking am I going to be ready for Argus!!!???!!! :eek:

Yep, she qualified well!

I know that route. Pretty nice! Thats not a bad time at all!

Merci! :)

Things are real good at the moment - there is a ride every weekend until Argus! I love this way of life! ;D

Roadster, sorry we're off the topic of Jacaranda... although I heard from someone the Jacaranda was poorly organised, that some people went off at 9:00am and felt it was so late. Did you experience that?

Our race Sat. was off at 7:00am. The great thing about a "one-bunch" start for a particular distance. It has it's pros and cons I guess... c'est la vie! :)

I believe many cyclists that did the 94.2 are unhappy? Was it that bad?