Jack Bobridge breaks pursuit WR

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Jack Bobridge breaks pursuit WR Jack Bobridge's 4,000m individual pursuit time of 4:10.534 seconds in qualifying at the national championships in Sydney broke the previous world record of 4:11.114 set by Briton Chris Boardman in 1996, a time previously thought to be untouchable.

Bobridge, who rides with U.S.-based Garmin-Cervélo UCI ProTeam, was a member of the Australian 4,000 meter pursuit team that won gold at last year's Track Cycling World Championships, and won the individual pursuit at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

He went so fast that he still had time to change skinsuits mid-ride!

Awesome.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

He went so fast that he still had time to change skinsuits mid-ride!

Awesome.
One wonders how Chris Boardman's record stood for so damn long /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

I think it could possibly have been beaten earlier if the Individual Pursuit was still in the Olympics. Riders like Wiggins & Geraint Thomas would then also be doing this event far more often. Also I think Taylor Phinney is up there pretty close to Bobridge in terms of ability

Originally Posted by Mattcreed .

I think it could possibly have been beaten earlier if the Individual Pursuit was still in the Olympics. Riders like Wiggins & Geraint Thomas would then also be doing this event far more often. Also I think Taylor Phinney is up there pretty close to Bobridge in terms of ability
Come on, man. When you take someone else's comments, at least give them credit...
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/former-holder-talks-down-bobridge-world-record-20110203-1ae8j.html

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Come on, man. When you take someone else's comments, at least give them credit...
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/former-holder-talks-down-bobridge-world-record-20110203-1ae8j.html

Unless you spend a bunch of time reading the Oz press, are you gonna give Jono props for first posting that link over in the Australian forum ;)

As has already been pointed out elsewhere, Wiggo never got close to riding a 4.11, wasn't 4:15 his best and that was quite a few years ago when he was in "full on pursuit training" Thomas - maybe we'll never find out what he's good for in the IP. That and the fact that the British Cycling money is set to dry up after the London Olympics...

Rather than wondering what could have been with regards to Wiggo and Thomas, I'm more interested to see how Bobridge found a way to chop about 4 seconds of his normal times.

Originally Posted by Mattcreed .

What a load of ****.

All the brits focussed on it pretty damn hard and never got near it.

Reactions: steve
So Jono, Any inside scoop from Oz as to how Kid can take his already world class times and shave almost 4 seconds off?