Jackets again

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Clinch, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wee while ago I was asking around for a windproof with pockets on the front that was visible from
    orbit: various suggestions but nothing quite right...

    I now have what I was looking for. Mardale (http://www.mardale.com/), a small British outdoor
    clothing firm, do a jacket that looked the part aside from not being *YELLOW!*, but remembering
    they'd done a bespoke fleece pullover for a 6'8" friend a few years ago at nominal extra cost I
    thought I might as well ask if they'd do a custom colour on their Bike Jacket model. Yes, and for
    just an extra fiver. And since their usual colours did include a reflective finish and the fluo
    yellow didn't, did I want reflective tape? And where, exactly? (across the yoke seam back and front
    and down the arms, please!)

    It arrived this morning, and it is indeed visually loud and basically just what I was looking for.
    The Visa receipt in with it tells me they didn't actually charge me the extra fiver either. Not
    absolutely perfect for me: I prefer chest height pockets to belly height, and I should've said not
    to bother with the back pocket (and there's a wee belt in it so if you turn it inside out into the
    pocket you can wear it on its own belt, which might fall prey to some scissors), but really no
    complaints and it was a pleasure doing business with them. Good product from good people, well
    worthy of your consideration.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Those jackets look quite nice, I eagerly await a road/off road test report. Is there a price list
    available on line somewhere ?

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > It arrived this morning, ............Good product
    > from good people, well worthy of your consideration.

    Have you tried cycling in it yet?

    Tony

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > Those jackets look quite nice, I eagerly await a road/off road test rep=
    ort.
    > Is there a price list available on line somewhere ?

    There's an online store at=20 http://www.outdoorclothingonline.com/store/store.htm The Bike
    Jacket is =A350.

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Have you tried cycling in it yet?

    No, landed in the post this morning and since I walk to work it hasn't=20 had a pedalling test.
    It's a bonny day though, so I might find an=20 excuse to go down to town at lunchtime on one of
    the bikes.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > No, landed in the post this morning and since I walk to work it hasn't had a pedalling test. It's
    > a bonny day though, so I might find an excuse to go down to town at lunchtime on one of the bikes.

    Ah, what's known as a "magazine endorsement" then - "Looks nice, not tried it, no idea whether its
    any good but we'll pretend it is" ;-)

    Tony

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Ah, what's known as a "magazine endorsement" then - "Looks nice, not tried it, no idea whether its
    > any good but we'll pretend it is" ;-)

    Not really! there's a rather large difference between having something in one's grubby mitts and
    trying it on to looking at paper specifications and a picture! Certainly good enough for checking
    the quality of the stitching, whether the cut was set out by someone with a Clue, if the pockets are
    deep and big enough to be useful (good, yes and yes respectively, btw) and so on.

    But now it has about 8km cycling under its belt. Hardly exhaustive, but enough to further verify the
    cut seems good and though the tail drops enough to give some extra bum protection it's not so long
    as to get caught under the saddlebag hooks on the Brooks. As for general performance in various
    weathers, I can't see it being much different to my pertex windshirts since it's made of the same
    stuff but in a horrible colour with reflective trim and pockets. They work, I don't think I'm
    assuming *too* much to think a jacket made of the same stuff will do similarly. Sitting on the 'bent
    it's clear that the back pocket, while useless, won't actually be a nuisance, and there's not much
    else to worry about for now AFAICT.