Jackrabbits top speed.

Bill Baka

Guest
I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new
housing development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I
clocked him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way
they run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up
about half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as
long as they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?
Bill Baka

A flat-out sprint for a quarter of a mile --440 yards-- is no mean
feat. You must have scared the daylights out of him.

I've never seen a jack rabbit, but there's a dog on one of my routes
that's big, aggressive, and fast. He can run, snarl, bite, and bark
all at the same time. I clocked him at 20 mph for maybe twenty or
thirty yards before he gave up. He obviously intended to kill me.

Has anyone encountered deer? Two times this summer a deer has darted
in front of my bike--no more than ten or twenty yards in front of me.

--
Rodney Dunning

Bill Baka wrote:
> I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new
> housing development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I
> clocked him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way
> they run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up
> about half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as
> long as they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?
> Bill Baka

"Rodney Dunning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A flat-out sprint for a quarter of a mile --440 yards-- is no mean
> feat. You must have scared the daylights out of him.
>
> I've never seen a jack rabbit, but there's a dog on one of my routes
> that's big, aggressive, and fast. He can run, snarl, bite, and bark
> all at the same time. I clocked him at 20 mph for maybe twenty or
> thirty yards before he gave up. He obviously intended to kill me.
>
> Has anyone encountered deer? Two times this summer a deer has darted
> in front of my bike--no more than ten or twenty yards in front of me.
>
> --
> Rodney Dunning
>

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new
>> housing development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I
>> clocked him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
>> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way
>> they run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up
>> about half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as
>> long as they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
>> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?
>> Bill Baka

The main route I ride has deer on it, but I haven't seen one yet this year.
Two years ago my van got charged by a buck with a pretty good sized rack.
He hit the side just behind the front door.

Charles of Schaumburg

>I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new
>housing development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I
>clocked him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.

Sounds slow to me.

I routinely clock the squirrels around at ~ 20 MPH.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"Rodney Dunning" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone encountered deer? Two times this summer a deer has darted
>in front of my bike--no more than ten or twenty yards in front of me.

There are gobs of deer in the park where a long trail I ride ends and
are rather fond of being ON the trail at the bottom of hills or around
corners. Probably payback for the MTB path that goes straight thru
their bedrooms and living rooms in the woods.

I was cresting a hill at the end of a ride and there at the top was a
deer. He couldnt see me approaching because of a tree. When he got
scared he tried to zoom off but his hoofs couldnt get traction on the
asphalt so he was doing a cartoon character foot action. When you are
used to where they are likely to be you can call out to warn them and
they scurry off.

In this case I was calling out 'get out of the way, you turkey!'. By
time he got traction I was maybe 5-6 feet away from him/her. When he
moved off along with his family a bit further off, I could see behind
him was -- wait for it -- a turkey also crossing the path..

Once out along the trail I turned a corner and 2 adolescent deer were
off the trail by maybe 10 feet. They bolted to dash off, but to get
to the safety of the woods, they had to cross the path. Since they
wanted to cross ahead of me, it seemed I was chasing them. It only
took them 25 yards or so to get far enough ahead to cross, but I am
not sure they were going full out. What I found weird was that they
both made the turn at the same time as if on signal.

Chris Neary wrote:
>> I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new
>> housing development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I
>> clocked him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.

> Sounds slow to me.
>
> I routinely clock the squirrels around at ~ 20 MPH.
>

> Chris Neary
> [email protected]
>
> "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
> you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
> loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Really?
You got squirrels doing crank or something?
I have never seen one that fast in California.
The rabbit I found was kind of smallish,so maybe a young one.
I can only clock the ones that want to run on pavement.
Dogs have chased me faster than that, had one at about 27 MPH that
almost got me, what with being on a mountain bike and almost died from
the effort before the dog ran out of steam.
Bill Baka

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new housing
>development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I clocked
>him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way they
> run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up about
> half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as long as
> they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?

Bill, that wasn't a jackrabbit and/or he was just playing around.
Jackrabbits in a hurry have a long cheetah-like lope and can run at 40 mph
or so for a mile.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:45:48 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>
wrote:

>"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new housing
>>development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I clocked
>>him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
>> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way they
>> run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up about
>> half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as long as
>> they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
>> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?

>Bill, that wasn't a jackrabbit and/or he was just playing around.
>Jackrabbits in a hurry have a long cheetah-like lope and can run at 40 mph
>or so for a mile.

It was a a jackrabbit on Planet Baka.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new housing
>> development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I clocked
>> him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
>> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way they
>> run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up about
>> half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as long as
>> they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
>> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?

> Bill, that wasn't a jackrabbit and/or he was just playing around.
> Jackrabbits in a hurry have a long cheetah-like lope and can run at 40 mph
> or so for a mile.

It was a definite California jack rabbit, maybe young, but not a
household bunny rabbit. Kind of small and skinny, but what other kind of
rabbit with long straight up ears would anyone call it. I did register a
23.5 MPH max speed on that chase but that was me catching up to him.
Bill Baka

"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:45:48 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>I was out riding on Monday when I flushed out a jackrabbit in a new

housing
> >>development by accident. Giving chase for about a quarter mile I clocked
> >>him at 17.5 MPH before he wore out and jumped into some bushes.
> >> The thing that almost had me laughing instead of chasing was the way

they
> >> run. They take 3 normal cat/dog type runs then bounce straight up about
> >> half a foot, then run again, repeating this 1, 2 , 3, bounce as long as
> >> they run. Dumb as a rock but fun to chase.
> >> Anyone else get one stuck in front of them on the road?

> >Bill, that wasn't a jackrabbit and/or he was just playing around.
> >Jackrabbits in a hurry have a long cheetah-like lope and can run at 40

mph
> >or so for a mile.
> >

> It was a a jackrabbit on Planet

jackrabbits are unmistakeable. long tall translucent ears almost as long as
their body sometimes that look like they could pick up as skip from tokyo
radio or wifi from the starbucks 20 miles away! how do you clock a squirrel?
bored policeman with radar gun?

greggery peccary wrote:
Bill <snip> These things are getting too long.
> jackrabbits are unmistakeable. long tall translucent ears almost as long as
> their body sometimes that look like they could pick up as skip from tokyo
> radio or wifi from the starbucks 20 miles away! how do you clock a squirrel?
> bored policeman with radar gun?

I was riding behind him and looking at my computer on the left
handlebar. Just pacing him about 100 feet back. If he had been able to
run at 40 MPH I would have been in trouble since I just plain can't
attain that speed on a mountain bike. I don't know if I could even
sprint that fast on a road bike.
Bill Baka

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:52:42 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>greggery peccary wrote:
>Bill <snip> These things are getting too long.
>> jackrabbits are unmistakeable. long tall translucent ears almost as long as
>> their body sometimes that look like they could pick up as skip from tokyo
>> radio or wifi from the starbucks 20 miles away! how do you clock a squirrel?
>> bored policeman with radar gun?
>>

>I was riding behind him and looking at my computer on the left
>handlebar. Just pacing him about 100 feet back. If he had been able to
>run at 40 MPH I would have been in trouble since I just plain can't
>attain that speed on a mountain bike. I don't know if I could even
>sprint that fast on a road bike.
>Bill Baka

I only you had saddled up the tricycle that day.