Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Jagwire Ripcord - color me impressed

Started by JG · · Last activity · 2 posts · 522 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 July 2007
Last activity
26 July 2007
Original author
JG
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
522
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just bought and installed a set of Jagwire Ripcord cable and
    housings for simple reason they were orange...

    I've decided to dust off my 25 year old Ritchey touring frame. I
    bought a honey Lepper Voyager saddle a couple years back (yes I know,
    you don't buy a Voyager, you rent it, but the price was right) and
    this year I replaced my venerable, racy and creaky Cinelli bars and
    stem with a gentleman's extended stem Nitto setup, with Velo-Orange's
    honey stitch-on elk skin bar wrap. Have got that done, I stepped
    back, looked at the dark blue frame, and said, "What this bike needs
    is orange cables!"

    That proved to be more difficult than it might seem, except that
    Jagwire offers an orange set in their Ripcord range. It was more than
    I thought was right for wires and housing (living in the past retro-
    grouch-wise) but I knew the alternative, scrounging around, trial and
    error, would cost almost as much and consume more time.

    Anyway, they arrived yesterday, and, not wanting to have to repurchase
    anything, I spent a long time carefully sizing, cutting, and finishing
    housing, adjusting ferrules, and clipping, heat shrinking, and capping
    wires. When I got to the brakes, I was startled to realize they were
    longitudily bundled cable wrapped, just like the derailleur cables. A
    quick check on the web revealed that was how they were supposed to be,
    with a kelvar casing that kept it all together.

    I put on the back brake cable, made it through the tricky straddle
    cable anchor adjustment (the brakes are cantilevers), tightened
    everything up, and gave the lever a good squeeze.

    WOW.

    It was like hitting the rim with a hammer. I really wasn't expecting
    that much reduction in mush. The front brake was similar, although
    with less housing, it wasn't as noticible. And while I do need to try
    it out on the road, I must say it's the first new-fangled stuff that's
    impressed me in quite a while...

    (Only irritation is that my inline cable adjusters, which I'm pretty
    sure are Jagwires, have a odd i.d. on one end, which doesn't work well
    with their ferrules.)

  2. JG said:

    I just bought and installed a set of Jagwire Ripcord cable and
    housings for simple reason they were orange...

    I know someone who likes to deck out himself and his bike in
    as much orange as possible. Thanks for the tip!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.