Jail for 172mph Porsche motorist

Martin Dann

Guest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm

"The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check
in the UK has been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.

Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex,
pleaded guilty at Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.

Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a
70mph zone on the A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.

He was banned from driving for three years and will have
to take an extended driving test to get another licence."

If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
race track or airfield?

Even our friend Paul Smith agrees that the driver was irresponsible.

So he denied another charge of aggravated vehicle taking, having
"borrowed" the car from the hire firm he worked for. Is that charge
still waiting to be tried?

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm
>
> "The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check in the UK has
> been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.
>
> Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, pleaded guilty at
> Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.
>
> Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a 70mph zone on the
> A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.
>
> He was banned from driving for three years and will have to take an
> extended driving test to get another licence."
>

> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a race track or
> airfield?

What stuck out to me was the fact that he's gotten rather more than a lot of
people who manage to actually kill or hurt someone.

On 24 Sep, 17:50, "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm

> > "The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check in the UK has
> > been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.

> > Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, pleaded guilty at
> > Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.

> > Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a 70mph zone on the
> > A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.

> > He was banned from driving for three years and will have to take an
> > extended driving test to get another licence."

> > If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a race track or
> > airfield?

> What stuck out to me was the fact that he's gotten rather more than a lot of
> people who manage to actually kill or hurt someone.- Hide quoted text -

Very true and utterly nauseating

Doki wrote:

> "Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm
>>
>> "The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check in the UK has
>> been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.
>>
>> Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, pleaded
>> guilty at Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.
>>
>> Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a 70mph zone on
>> the A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.
>>
>> He was banned from driving for three years and will have to take an
>> extended driving test to get another licence."
>>

>> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a race track
>> or airfield?

> What stuck out to me was the fact that he's gotten rather more than a
> lot of people who manage to actually kill or hurt someone.

I think the judge was trying to set an example.

TBH I am not sure that a jail term is right (even thought
it is short). Much better would have been a large fine,
and a longer ban, with lots of points on his license when
he does get it back. e.g. nine points, with another
automatic ban if he commits another motoring offence.

Martin Dann wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>>
>> "Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm
>>>
>>> "The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check in the UK
>>> has been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.
>>>
>>> Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, pleaded
>>> guilty at Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.
>>>
>>> Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a 70mph zone on
>>> the A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.
>>>
>>> He was banned from driving for three years and will have to take an
>>> extended driving test to get another licence."
>>>

>>> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a race track
>>> or airfield?

>> What stuck out to me was the fact that he's gotten rather more than a
>> lot of people who manage to actually kill or hurt someone.

> I think the judge was trying to set an example.
>
> TBH I am not sure that a jail term is right (even thought it is short).
> Much better would have been a large fine, and a longer ban, with lots of
> points on his license when he does get it back. e.g. nine points, with
> another automatic ban if he commits another motoring offence.

I'd be inclined to agree.

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Even our friend Paul Smith agrees that the driver was irresponsible.

I wrote to the BBC to complain that they even quoted from him. Although he
agreed it was irresponsible, it was equally irresponsible of the BBC to give
him any credence at all as an expert witness. It was akin to getting a quote
from Pol Pot that ****** was a bad lad.

Ric wrote:

> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Even our friend Paul Smith agrees that the driver was irresponsible.

> I wrote to the BBC to complain that they even quoted from him. Although
> he agreed it was irresponsible, it was equally irresponsible of the BBC
> to give him any credence at all as an expert witness. It was akin to
> getting a quote from Pol Pot that ****** was a bad lad.

He was on the box the other night waffling on about (probably against)
some change in the law to stop people getting off speeding tickets by
claiming they can't remember who was driving at the time. I wasn't
paying too much attention to the subject matter as it doesn't apply to
me. However, it was the first time I had seen the man. He could benefit
from some grooming and styling advice.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

Martin Dann <[email protected]>typed

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7009923.stm

> "The fastest driver ever caught in a routine speed check
> in the UK has been sentenced to 10 weeks in jail.

> Timothy Brady, 33, of Earls Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex,
> pleaded guilty at Oxford Crown Court to dangerous driving.

> Brady was clocked at 172mph in a Porsche 911 Turbo in a
> 70mph zone on the A420 in Oxfordshire on 27 January.

> He was banned from driving for three years and will have
> to take an extended driving test to get another licence."

> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
> race track or airfield?

They'd have to PAY and plan ahead. Roads are 'free'...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Ric wrote:

> "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Even our friend Paul Smith agrees that the driver was irresponsible.

> I wrote to the BBC to complain that they even quoted from him. Although
> he agreed it was irresponsible, it was equally irresponsible of the BBC
> to give him any credence at all as an expert witness.

Did they introduce him as an "expert witness"? Did you make similar
complaints about comments from representatives of other "safety" groups
being reported?

Presumably you understand the difference between opposing certain
ill-conceived measures, and opposing the goal of making our roads safer.

--
Matt B

spindrift wrote:

> Best to write to the Press Complaints Commission and copy in the BBC...

Have you managed to find any evidence to support your assertions yet???
I seem to remember that previously when you made similar accusations
you failed miserably when challenged.

Have you learnt the difference, in road safety consequences, between
"exceeding the speed limit" and "going too fast for conditions" yet?
Ah, I thought not.

--
Matt B

Adrian Godwin wrote:
> spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Or just ignore the geeky git, his irrelevance is highlighted by the
>> fact that he's usually a rent-a-quote gobshite in the Mail, where he
>> belongs.
>>

> Not just the Mail :
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2175761,00.html

You must admit - he is correct though. Six points for a non-motoring
offence is a travesty. What happens if you don't have a driving licence
- do you get a bigger fine? Probably not. It is another law where
those holding driving licences are treated more harshly than those who
don't, even though the offence is not related to ability to drive safely.

It may well lead to less, rather than more justice. Vehicle keepers may
be tempted to guess who was driving, or point he finger at someone,
rather than risk the consequences of not knowing, or having forgotten.

--
Matt B

If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
> race track or airfield?

When I used to fly at North Weald, the glider winch wire (bit like a
1kilometre long cheesecutter) took the roof off a Ford Escort driven by
someone doing just that. Airfields arn't racetracks either. They are
airfields.

In article <[email protected]>, Jackbike
me@somewhere says...
> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
> > race track or airfield?

> When I used to fly at North Weald, the glider winch wire (bit like a
> 1kilometre long cheesecutter) took the roof off a Ford Escort driven by
> someone doing just that. Airfields arn't racetracks either. They are
> airfields.

I suspect he was referring to the fact that some airfields occasionally
allow the use of their perimeter track.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Jackbike
> me@somewhere says...
>> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
>>> race track or airfield?

>> When I used to fly at North Weald, the glider winch wire (bit like a
>> 1kilometre long cheesecutter) took the roof off a Ford Escort driven by
>> someone doing just that. Airfields arn't racetracks either. They are
>> airfields.
>>

> I suspect he was referring to the fact that some airfields occasionally
> allow the use of their perimeter track.

Silverstone airfield has since 1947.

Matt B wrote:

> Ah! It confronts your prejudices. Do you agree that someone who is
> thought to be attempting to "discredit Government policy" should be
> treated with contempt by the police, or just those whose views conflict
> with yours?
>
> You never did tell us the background to your obsession with him, and
> your continued futile attempts to smear him. Did he get the better of
> you sometime in the past - in a seriously BIG way?

What's your point in this thread Matt? That we need 'beyond reasonable
doubt' evidence that Mr Smith is a whacko whose anti-road safety
rantings have no basis in fact? I'll go with 'balance of probabilities'
on this nut-job as I suspect most reasonable people will.

But why defend him anyway? To further your argument against the new
imposition of six penalty points for withholding the identity of an
offending driver? There's been a deafening silence in terms of coherent
arguments against this policy, I expect because the evidence and
arguments that stack up so heavily against the pro-speeding lobby are
becoming more widely understood by the public.

Or perhaps you're questioning the sanction against the delivery driver
turned F1 wannabe? Do you want someone to post the verified radar
telemetry data here before you'll accept he should have been nicked for
his masturbatory 172mph stunt?

Ian

7@m3 G33k wrote:
> Matt B wrote:
>>
>> Ah! It confronts your prejudices. Do you agree that someone who is
>> thought to be attempting to "discredit Government policy" should be
>> treated with contempt by the police, or just those whose views
>> conflict with yours?
>>
>> You never did tell us the background to your obsession with him, and
>> your continued futile attempts to smear him. Did he get the better of
>> you sometime in the past - in a seriously BIG way?
>>

> What's your point in this thread Matt?

To understand the source of the PP's contempt for SS.

> That we need 'beyond reasonable
> doubt' evidence that Mr Smith is a whacko whose

Not at all. Some of the accusations made are very serious indeed, and
go way beyond the normal "acceptable" banter. It is not unreasonable to
expect /some/ evidence for those.

> anti-road safety
> rantings have no basis in fact? I'll go with 'balance of probabilities'
> on this nut-job as I suspect most reasonable people will.

Are you a speed camera supporter? Are our roads significantly safer
since the speed limit (+10% +2), at accident black spots, became the
centrepiece of our road safety policy?

It took several years for the powers-that-be to admit that much of what
"he" said about the justification of speed cameras was, in fact, true.
They have now acknowledged that regression-to-the-mean accounts for much
of the reduction in casualties at camera sites and that exceeding the
speed limit is a factor in only a very small percentage of collisions.

> But why defend him anyway? To further your argument against the new
> imposition of six penalty points for withholding the identity of an
> offending driver? There's been a deafening silence in terms of coherent
> arguments against this policy, I expect because the evidence and
> arguments that stack up so heavily against the pro-speeding lobby are
> becoming more widely understood by the public.

Who exactly is the "pro-speeding" lobby? Do /you/ understand the road
safety difference between "exceeding the speed limit" and "going too
fast for conditions"?

The latter is /always/ dangerous, and very risky, and should be avoided
and prevented as far as is possible. The former is a technical offence
which may, or may not be dangerous, dependent on how accurately the
speed limit reflects the prevailing conditions.

Those who understand the dangers of ignoring the latter, whilst
ignorantly concentrating on the former, should not be characterised as
"pro-speeding" rather as "anti-dangerous-speed" (or even
pro-safe-speed), especially given that most casualty collisions occur
within the speed limit.

The speed limit philosophy relies on drivers being able to judge when
the actual speed limit is too high for the prevailing conditions, which
assumes that they have that skill. If they have that skill then why are
speed limits required?

Additionally, speed limits, especially where they are enforced with
speed cameras, actually legitimise speed which is too fast for the
conditions - so long as it is technically within the speed limit.

> Or perhaps you're questioning the sanction against the delivery driver
> turned F1 wannabe?

If the speed limit was 172 mph, or higher, would he have been driving
perfectly safely - as he would have been within the limit?

> Do you want someone to post the verified radar
> telemetry data here before you'll accept he should have been nicked for
> his masturbatory 172mph stunt?

What do you think his /real/ crime was - "exceeding the speed limit" or
"going too fast for conditions"?

What do you think the maximum speed is that could be _safe_ (even if
technically illegal) somewhere on our roads?

--
Matt B

Jackbike wrote:
> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
>> race track or airfield?

> When I used to fly at North Weald, the glider winch wire (bit like a
> 1kilometre long cheesecutter) took the roof off a Ford Escort driven by
> someone doing just that. Airfields arn't racetracks either. They are
> airfields.

There are a few airfields that allow parts to be used for
things like this, and I think that there are a few disused
airfields around where you could use the main runway.

I did not mean just drive to the nearest airfield, and
race a jumbo down the runway.

Martin.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:49:41 +0100, Jackbike wrote:

> If people want to drive like that, why can't they go to a
>> race track or airfield?

> When I used to fly at North Weald, the glider winch wire (bit like a
> 1kilometre long cheesecutter) took the roof off a Ford Escort driven by
> someone doing just that.

I hate it when that happens - nicks the wire, usually.