Jail for 172mph Porsche motorist

On 28 Sep, 16:58, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> None of those?

> >> One that eliminates all reasonable likelihood of a collision.

> >> I don't think you can say that a specific absolute stopping distance is
> >> too great. It depends on the present circumstances - just as daft as
> >> absolute speed limits really.

> >> 30 mph is often way too fast in many 30 mph zones, yet when did you last
> >> hear of a conviction based on using inappropriate speed which was within
> >> the posted 30 mph limit??? Contrast that with the number of convictions
> >> for using a possibly safe speed which happened to be above the posted limit.

> >> I'd rather we concentrated on the dangerous, not the safe, use of speed
> >> - wouldn't you?

> > And you think 172 mph is a speed from which you can make that
> > assessment as you approach a hazard?

> What assessment?
>
> All I'm saying is that speed limits can condone inappropriate speed.
> Prosecutions should be based on the danger of a given situation, not on
> how much above an arbitrary speed limit a driver happens to be going.
>
> 25 mph in a 30 mph limit can be more dangerous, in certain
> circumstances, than say, 80 mph on a clear motorway.
>
> The charge, and the penalty, should take account of the circumstances,
> and reasonably expected likely consequences - not on a go/no-go test as
> to whether a limit has been exceeded, and by how much.
>
> --
> Matt B

So you don't consider 172mph dangerous to everyone on, or joining a
motorway? It's not just a matter of the danger he causes to himself
but that he causes to others who will not be able to judge his
approach speed and would not be expecting an observed vehicle to be
traveling at 270 ft per second.

Sniper8052

[email protected] wrote:
> On 28 Sep, 16:58, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> And you think 172 mph is a speed from which you can make that
>>> assessment as you approach a hazard?

>> What assessment?
>>
>> All I'm saying is that speed limits can condone inappropriate speed.
>> Prosecutions should be based on the danger of a given situation, not on
>> how much above an arbitrary speed limit a driver happens to be going.
>>
>> 25 mph in a 30 mph limit can be more dangerous, in certain
>> circumstances, than say, 80 mph on a clear motorway.
>>
>> The charge, and the penalty, should take account of the circumstances,
>> and reasonably expected likely consequences - not on a go/no-go test as
>> to whether a limit has been exceeded, and by how much.
>>
>> --
>> Matt B

> So you don't consider 172mph dangerous to everyone on, or joining a
> motorway?

It sounds pretty dangerous to me, but I'm sure someone will come up with
a scenario where it poses no reasonably likely danger to anyone else.

> It's not just a matter of the danger he causes to himself
> but that he causes to others who will not be able to judge his
> approach speed and would not be expecting an observed vehicle to be
> traveling at 270 ft per second.

Exactly - and as I keep saying, speed within the limit does not
guarantee safety, yet dangerous speed within the limit is virtually ignored.

The upshot is that we still have 3000+ road deaths, and 10s of thousands
of serious injuries per year, the vast majority of which occur at speeds
within the speed limit, yet we continue to ignore those causing that
carnage. Instead we prosecute millions of drivers, not because they are
necessarily dangerous, but because it is easy to do so.

--
Matt B

On 28 Sep, 17:18, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> What assessment?

> >> All I'm saying is that speed limits can condone inappropriate speed.
> >> Prosecutions should be based on the danger of a given situation, not on
> >> how much above an arbitrary speed limit a driver happens to be going.

> >> 25 mph in a 30 mph limit can be more dangerous, in certain
> >> circumstances, than say, 80 mph on a clear motorway.

> >> The charge, and the penalty, should take account of the circumstances,
> >> and reasonably expected likely consequences - not on a go/no-go test as
> >> to whether a limit has been exceeded, and by how much.

> >> --
> >> Matt B

> > So you don't consider 172mph dangerous to everyone on, or joining a
> > motorway?

> It sounds pretty dangerous to me, but I'm sure someone will come up with
> a scenario where it poses no reasonably likely danger to anyone else.
>
> > It's not just a matter of the danger he causes to himself
> > but that he causes to others who will not be able to judge his
> > approach speed and would not be expecting an observed vehicle to be
> > traveling at 270 ft per second.

> Exactly - and as I keep saying, speed within the limit does not
> guarantee safety, yet dangerous speed within the limit is virtually ignored.
>
> The upshot is that we still have 3000+ road deaths, and 10s of thousands
> of serious injuries per year, the vast majority of which occur at speeds
> within the speed limit, yet we continue to ignore those causing that
> carnage. Instead we prosecute millions of drivers, not because they are
> necessarily dangerous, but because it is easy to do so.
>
> --
> Matt B

So you admit it's dangerous then?

Would you further agree then that whilst a speed limit will not
guarantee that a speed within that is necessarily safe for the
conditions it does at least provide an arbitrary risk assessment for a
section of road?

Sniper8052

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On 28 Sep, 16:58, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

Excuse me Occifer but you do know you are wrestling with a troll and its
enjoying it?

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On Sep 28, 6:36 pm, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

> Excuse me Occifer but you do know you are wrestling with a troll and its
> enjoying it?
>
> --
> Tony
>
> " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
> Bertrand Russell

I had a bad day and wanted to take it out on some one insignificant...

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:04:24 GMT, Esra Sdrawkcab wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:

> Why persist in arguing with MattB?
> He's playing the troll game - you can't win.
>
> Continue and I'll bin you as well.

Don't bin Sniper.

Sniper is responsible for some of the most entertaining posts on this ng,
and the viewpoint of the constabulary is most valuable.

Sniper - don't get binned. MattB is the source of all of the most boring
posts, and his viewpoint is that of P**l S**th and their ilk; he's a troll
and you know it.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 28 Sep, 17:18, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> So you don't consider 172mph dangerous to everyone on, or joining a
>>> motorway?

>> It sounds pretty dangerous to me, but I'm sure someone will come up with
>> a scenario where it poses no reasonably likely danger to anyone else.
>>
>>> It's not just a matter of the danger he causes to himself
>>> but that he causes to others who will not be able to judge his
>>> approach speed and would not be expecting an observed vehicle to be
>>> traveling at 270 ft per second.

>> Exactly - and as I keep saying, speed within the limit does not
>> guarantee safety, yet dangerous speed within the limit is virtually ignored.
>>
>> The upshot is that we still have 3000+ road deaths, and 10s of thousands
>> of serious injuries per year, the vast majority of which occur at speeds
>> within the speed limit, yet we continue to ignore those causing that
>> carnage. Instead we prosecute millions of drivers, not because they are
>> necessarily dangerous, but because it is easy to do so.

> So you admit it's dangerous then?

I don't "admit" anything. As I said "It sounds pretty dangerous to me".

Mind you, I think that 5 mph past a school at chucking-out time is
pretty dangerous too - despite the dangerous encouragement that the 30
mph, or occasionally 20 mph, limit is giving.

> Would you further agree then that whilst a speed limit will not
> guarantee that a speed within that is necessarily safe for the
> conditions it does at least provide an arbitrary risk assessment for a
> section of road?

No. In what way does one 30 mph sign on each entry into a town add any
value? If you can see the one and only "30 mph" allowed at the entry to
each 30 mph limit, you will probably notice the numerous other, more
significant, cues that you are in a "built-up area" (buildings for
example) too. I would rather base my speed on what I see out the
window, and travel accordingly. Just because speeds of up to 30 mph are
allowed it doesn't mean you have to go that fast, and indeed it tends to
mean that dangerous speeds, but below that limit, are more or less
officially condoned.

Remember that most collisions occur as a result of going too fast for
the circumstances, and that most collisions occur at speeds within the
limit. This implies that limits add next to nothing to road safety.

--
Matt B

_ wrote:

> Sniper - don't get binned. MattB is the source of all of the most boring
> posts,

How do you know - you don't /actually/ read them do you?

> and his viewpoint is that of P**l S**th and their ilk;

If they too think that, despite the spin, hype, and misrepresentation of
evidence used to "big up" the results, that current road safety policy
is failing us, then you could be correct.

> he's a troll and you know it.

So why do /you/ spend so much time reading, studying, and comparing my
posts then?

--
Matt B