Jail over death of a cyclist..

Dave

Guest
***********!!!! In tonight's Express & Star, reported page 10, between articles about Blackpool
Tower organist date and a job bonanza is a report about Marios Theoklitou being sentenced to 5 years
jail sentence and 7 years driving ban following pleading guilty to a charge of causing death by
dangerous driving. His victim was Brian Hawkridge, aged 66 from Kent, former world cycling champion.

Not quite goolies cut off and left to bleed to death in a public place but at least it's a start.
The difference to the norm appears to be that he pleaded guilty. Ah at last, someone taking
responsibility for his actions - a breath of fresh air.....unless of course he was bang to rights
and was hoping for leniency by pleading guilty.....

Dave.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OUgY9.666$Ph2.222@news-> Not quite goolies cut off
and left to bleed to death in a public place but
> at least it's a start. The difference to the norm appears to be that he pleaded guilty. Ah at
> last, someone taking responsibility for his
actions -
> a breath of fresh air.....unless of course he was bang to rights and was hoping for leniency by
> pleading guilty.....

He should have just said "sorry your honour I didn't see him" then he would just have got a £30 fine
and three points.

In news:[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:

> to be that he pleaded guilty. Ah at last, someone taking responsibility for his actions - a breath
> of fresh air.....unless of course he was bang to rights and was hoping for leniency by pleading
> guilty.....

which he certainly *didn't* get - IIRC 5 years is near or the maximum time for causing death by
dangerous driving!

I suppose things are *slowly* getting better - I have also seen a handful of reports where when a
car has been *deliberately* used as a weapon to run someone down following a dispute, the
offender has been charged with *murder* rather than traffic offences. (Usually young males
killing each other)

Alex

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
of "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
> In tonight's Express & Star, reported page 10, between articles about Blackpool Tower organist
> date and a job bonanza is a report about Marios Theoklitou being sentenced to 5 years jail
> sentence and 7 years driving ban following pleading guilty to a charge of causing death by
> dangerous driving.

Ah, yes, That name sounds foreign; clearly not "one of us", so "we" don't need to be as
understanding as with some unfortunate salesman who stands to lose his job if he can't drive. And if
he's white then the race relations lobby won't scream unfair either.

> at least it's a start. The difference to the norm appears to be that he pleaded guilty.

Too honest for his own good, eh?

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

Ah that is good.

The best one I rad was in Cycling+ once. A lady rundown and killed a cyclist while taking her child
to school in the volvo. She was already at the limit of points on her lisence so 3 more and she
would have an aotomatic ban for a year (I think or is it 6 months). Anyway she got off with just a
fine (amount I forget but only a few hundred) was allowed to keep her lisence all because she said
that her child was UNABLE to ride a bike the 2 MILES to school or walk it or get public transport.

So this woman got off with killing this man so her child could grow fat and lazy and in later
life be a burden on the NHS because it has cardiac conditions due to all the weight it is
carrying around.

well that's my2p worth.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:12:14 -0000 someone who may be "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room new
build]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>IIRC 5 years is near or the maximum time for causing death by dangerous driving!

It was. Some years ago it was raised to 10 years.

Roadpeace have long campaigned for proper sentencing.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:47:53 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Althugh she reached the 12 point limit, Phillip Judge, Chairman of the Bench in Cheltenham, said a
>driving ban would prevent her from taking her children the two miles to school and therefore cause
>too much hardship.

Though he was obviously not interested in the hardship she had caused the cyclist and his
friends/family.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:31:06 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>Though he was obviously not interested in the hardship she had caused the cyclist and his
>>friends/family.
>
>Clearly not - it was only a cyclist, after all

Yes. Scum of the earth, don't pay road tax, don't stop at red lights, kill thousands of people a
year, wear tight clothing, shouldn't be allowed on my roads, etc.

A cyclist has been killed outside Edinburgh, see another posting.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:34:31 +0000, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Clearly not - it was only a cyclist, after all

>Yes. Scum of the earth, don't pay road tax, don't stop at red lights, kill thousands of
>people a year,

And worse still they are usually driving their cars at the time ;-)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

>Ah, yes, That name sounds foreign; clearly not "one of us", so "we" don't need to be as
>understanding as with some unfortunate salesman who stands to lose his job if he can't drive. And
>if he's white then the race relations lobby won't scream unfair either.

I must admit - the cynical part of me had the very same thoughts! I mean local granny here in
Norfolk just had her wrists slapped.

helen s

> >Ah, yes, That name sounds foreign; clearly not "one of us", so "we" don't need to be as
> >understanding as with some unfortunate salesman who stands to lose his job if he can't drive. And
> >if he's white then the race relations lobby won't scream unfair either.
> >

> I must admit - the cynical part of me had the very same thoughts! I mean local granny here in
> Norfolk just had her wrists slapped.

Also the cyclist was an ex-champion, and thus presumably accomplished at cycling, rather than a
wobbly teenager.

Colin