Jaksche retires after teams shun him

TheDarkLord

Dec 24, 2007
MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- German cyclist Joerg Jaksche has been forced to retire because no one would give him a job after he spilled details of the doping practices used by cycling's top teams.

Jaksche was the first to admit using blood doping in the Operation Puerto scandal during testimony to the World Anti-Doping Agency and International Cycling Union -- cooperating in return for a reduced one-year ban he is still serving. The 31-year-old's decision to retire came when he was turned down by Team Milram after every other team had rejected him. He was hopeful following talks starting in January with the German squad.

Full story at http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/04/25/cycling.jaksche.ap/index.html?eref=rss_latest

--------------

This doesn't look good for the bean spillers.

Remember, team owners and managers are all committed to cycling's clean future.

jimmypop said:
Remember, team owners and managers are all committed to cycling's clean future.
Too bad that the dope-pushing team managers and owners aren't held accountable and blacklisted as well.

It's "nice" to see what happens to riders who don't lie, deceive and cheat in cycling...
I'm actually very sorry for him, even though he did himself cheat in the first place - I wouldn't be, if he hadn't confessed before gotten caught redhanded. It's a pity the common way is to deny until you get handed a two-year ban, and then deny even after that...

RdBiker said:
It's "nice" to see what happens to riders who don't lie, deceive and cheat in cycling...
I'm actually very sorry for him, even though he did himself cheat in the first place - I wouldn't be, if he hadn't confessed before gotten caught redhanded. It's a pity the common way is to deny until you get handed a two-year ban, and then deny even after that...
Cycling will not get out of the mud unless it changes how they handle past dopers.

Some, like Millar, do make it back. He's an exception.

But it does seem that the ones who lied or claimed to only "attempt to" are okay while those who fess up are blacklisted. It's a damned shame.

hawkeye87 said:
Cycling will not get out of the mud unless it changes how they handle past dopers.

Some, like Millar, do make it back. He's an exception.

But it does seem that the ones who lied or claimed to only "attempt to" are okay while those who fess up are blacklisted. It's a damned shame.
Yes, Jaksche gives details and is finished. Millar only concedes to doping under police interrogation then provides nothing of value. Millar is then hired by the 'paragon' of anti-doping, Slipstream. Cycling clearly has a perverse system of ethics.

fscyclist said:
Yes, Jaksche gives details and is finished. Millar only concedes to doping under police interrogation then provides nothing of value. Millar is then hired by the 'paragon' of anti-doping, Slipstream. Cycling clearly has a perverse system of ethics.
+1. Agreed.

This is proof that move that the move toward "clean" cycling is pretty much ********. No one wants him on their team because they are afraid he might eventually spill the beans on their programs.

I would not be surprised if McQuaid has been applying pressure behind the scenes to prevent Jaksche from getting a contract.

Bro Deal said:
This is proof that move that the move toward "clean" cycling is pretty much ********. No one wants him on their team because they are afraid he might eventually spill the beans on their programs.

I would not be surprised if McQuaid has been applying pressure behind the scenes to prevent Jaksche from getting a contract.
Exactly. Millar can be trusted to keep secrets even under police interrogation. A good hire.

fscyclist said:
Exactly. Millar can be trusted to keep secrets even under police interrogation. A good hire.
And he's a Brit. The Grandmasters of the illusion of principled integrity (Aussie's can't swing it with their accent and history).

fscyclist said:
Well put. Millar may no longer be doping, be he's a team player through and through.

I wonder what the chance is that Jaksche will talk more. He was careful not to do much naming of names, but he has no incentive not to now.

Bro Deal said:
I wonder what the chance is that Jaksche will talk more. He was careful not to do much naming of names, but he has no incentive not to now.
Except for the possible horse head in his bed in the morning...:) Oh but that's something the mafia does, not the cycling organisations and the teams. Must have confused the two...

Bro Deal said:
Good point. If he can't make a salary riding he could make some extra cash on a book deal. It's a shame he isn't going to ride again when Basso has just been re-hired. At least Jorge admitted he actually used the dope, and didn't just pretend that he thought about using it.