Jalabert runs 2006 LONDON marathon!

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/apr06/apr26news2

In between working for France télévisions, former top French cyclist Laurent Jalabert has been keeping himself in shape by running. Jalabert competed in the London Marathon last Sunday, and finished 932nd of the men with a time of 2:57:39. It was his second attempt at a marathon, after running in New York last year, where he took 2:55:00.

WBT : did you spot JaJa ????????????????????????????

limerickman said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/apr06/apr26news2

In between working for France télévisions, former top French cyclist Laurent Jalabert has been keeping himself in shape by running. Jalabert competed in the London Marathon last Sunday, and finished 932nd of the men with a time of 2:57:39. It was his second attempt at a marathon, after running in New York last year, where he took 2:55:00.

WBT : did you spot JaJa ????????????????????????????
faster course, but slower time. Interesting. Very cool though. Amazing that he can just roll out there and bust three hours in his first two marathons. WBT can tell you just how hard that is. Even for a world class athlete in other disciplines.

It is an amazing performance as you say - running 26 miles under three hours.

I know Sean Kelly runs for an hour per day (and he's 50) as well as getting out on the bike every second day.

Which begs the question - if the cross over from cyclist to marathon runner is relatively easy (for jaja and armstrong etc), why aren't the major teams waving contracts down in Kenya and Ethiopia ?
The Rift Valley produces great endurance athletes - I would have thought cycling and that particular part of the world were a good fit.

Interesting, but I always wondered why there are no black men in cycling at all. There are not black swimming champions either.

I think black men are better fit for running.

sopas said:
Interesting, but I always wondered why there are no black men in cycling at all. There are not black swimming champions either.

I think black men are better fit for running.
Oh puleeeeze. Can we avoid the sweeping racial statements? Other than making fun of the French, we need to avoid this kind of thing entirely. I am sure there would be plent of talented black cyclists if the countries in Africa were more interested and invested in cycling. You don't see a lot of Nepalese cyclists either but with the way the roads are there, I don't see it happening soon. Nothing genetic about it... just cultural. Let's keep it to that.

barnstorm said:
Oh puleeeeze. Can we avoid the sweeping racial statements? Other than making fun of the French, we need to avoid this kind of thing entirely. I am sure there would be plent of talented black cyclists if the countries in Africa were more interested and invested in cycling. You don't see a lot of Nepalese cyclists either but with the way the roads are there, I don't see it happening soon. Nothing genetic about it... just cultural. Let's keep it to that.
I've heard differently, in fact there's a book called "The Running Tribe" that alleges that Kenyan highlanders may be genetically predisposed to succeeding in endurance running. Kenyans from the Great Rift Valley alone own 3/8 of the world's men's distance running prizes. It might just be cultural, but don't be so quick to dismiss a genetic cause either just because it goes against political correctness.

PartisanRanger said:
I've heard differently, in fact there's a book called "The Running Tribe" that alleges that Kenyan highlanders may be genetically predisposed to succeeding in endurance running. Kenyans from the Great Rift Valley alone own 3/8 of the world's men's distance running prizes. It might just be cultural, but don't be so quick to dismiss a genetic cause either just because it goes against political correctness.
And another one factor - environment.
Mix of genetics, culture (I would say tradition in some sport) and environment (climate, altitude), gives the answer... I think non of these 3 factors can be decisive alone. Just in good balance with other two.

Andrija said:
And another one factor - environment.
Mix of genetics, culture (I would say tradition in some sport) and environment (climate, altitude), gives the answer... I think non of these 3 factors can be decisive alone. Just in good balance with other two.
given the dominance of black men in track and field running--I mean check out the records in 100m 200m 400m etc etc if they ever got on bikes they would dominate the track events I venture to guess.

Nobody thought black ppl were suited for speed sakting either until Shani Davis showd up breaking world records.

hombredesubaru said:
given the dominance of black men in track and field running--I mean check out the records in 100m 200m 400m etc etc if they ever got on bikes they would dominate the track events I venture to guess.
A person should read the story of Major Taylor....... He was a black cyclist from the US back in the day. Back then cycling was the highest paid sport in America. Major taylor dominated every race he participated in on the track all over the world.. And back then track racing was more world wide then the road racing was as we know it today.
Cycling here in America is very cultural based. You have to have access to money to even buy a racing bike in this country let alone travel 100"s a miles a week to race. Cycling requires strong parent support over here. Read Armstrongs/Lemonds story and that fact jumps out to you.....

Bjørn P.Dal said:
Nobody thought black ppl were suited for speed sakting either until Shani Davis showd up breaking world records.
exactly!