Jamis Bosanova or Jamis Coda Elite?

moosensquirrel

Jun 6, 2011
I'm new to bike riding, but I'd like to get something nice enough to keep and stick with.

My rides will be for fitness and fun, likely 20 miles. I don't expect to ride more than 50 miles at a time often. Since the roads adjacent to my street are a bit rough, I think I'll do better with 28mm tires, not 22mm or 23mm.

I have yet to make up my mind about flat bars or road bars; maybe you can help me decide?

Would you recommend the Jamis Bosanova or the Jamis Coda Elite?

My local bike store has a great discount on a 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, an aluminum cyclocross bike with a carbon fork and Shimano 105 parts. I'm tempted by it.

Any thoughts?

Component-wise, the Jamis Bosanova is more like a road bike (higher gearing, road bars), whereas the Jamis Coda Elite is more like a mountain bike (lower gearing, flat bars). Road bars give you many more hand positions, and flat bars give you more control on rough terrain.

For me, a cyclocross bike is the "do anything" urban road bike. A great mix of (almost) road bike speed and (almost) mountain bike durability. As you have pointed out, the Fuji Cross Comp drivetrain is better than the Jamis bikes with a well regarded (10 speed) 105 drivetrain. One potential downside is the stock crankset has a more limited gear range with a 36/46 compact chainring combo. Not as great for very steep climbs or very fast descents.

Do anything bike, that is what I was hoping to hear. And if I ever decide I want to try more adventurous non-paved trails, I can put wider tires on the cyclocross bike.

My state is, for the most part, flat. So I'm not to worried about hills. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Just my .02. If I only had one bike it would be a cyclocross. If you find that the bike is not quick enough to keep you happy you could always upgrde to a 50/39 compact crank.