Jamis Coda Comp vs. Jamis Allegro 4.0

speedbiker

Apr 11, 2010
I've researched and am set on one of these two bikes. Any suggestions? Will be used to ride for fitness up to 50 miles at a time.

speedbiker said:
I've researched and am set on one of these two bikes. Any suggestions? Will be used to ride for fitness up to 50 miles at a time.
FWIW. I would opt for the CODA because I would want the option to be able to use larger tires and/or fenders even if they never found their way onto the bike ...

AND, another reason (or, maybe this is the primary reason!?!) that I would choose the CODA over the ALLEGRO is because I would rather have a steel frame than an alloy frame. YOUR preference may be otherwise.

BTW. I would also be inclined toward getting the "base" model and upgrading components (including, switching to 'Drop' handlebars) on an as-needed or as-desired basis.

Thanks for your thoughts. Can you explain further about your preference for a steel frame over a alloy frame?

speedbiker said:
Can you explain further about your preference for a steel frame over a alloy frame?
I've got some non-steel frames and a lot of steel frames ...

While an alloy frame has the great advantage of being about 2 lbs. lighter than a comparable steel frame ... those two pounds [sometimes, three pounds if the bike has a steel fork vs. a carbon fiber fork] mean less to me than they probably should ...
My CF frameset weighs slightly less than an alloy frame & CF fork ... I think that some of the more recent CF framesets weigh less than just my now-ancient CF frame (sans fork) weighs.
Because I have a vague sense of the strength limitations of the steel used in a bike frame, a steel frame has an inherent advantage to me because I know that I can probably tweak a steel frame to ensure that I set up the bike any way I may choose to.

I can't tweak an alloy or CF frame; so, the weight penalty of a steel frame is a small price to pay for the future ability to tweak -- OR, even repair -- a given frame.

To clumsily paraphrase what someone else wrote:
Unlike the other frame materials, a steel frame has 2500 years of R&D behind it.

speedbiker said:
I am one of the few riders who owns an Allegro 4- did a lot of research before buying this and tried out the whole Coda line too. I highly suggest the Allegro for more "sport" riding since aluminum is more responsive, stiff, and light. The Coda Comp has ore mountain bike components and will be smoother on the road bumps..so if fitness rides are your thing or speed and agility, definetly go with the Allegro. If long rides with somoothness and comfort over the bumps is your priority, then go with the Coda. Either bike gives you a lot for your money and I think you will be happy with.