Jamis Coda flat bar

1id10t

Apr 11, 2005
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Jamis Coda flat bar road bike. I'm thinking of buying one for commuting. So far I've looked at the Giant CRXs, Kona Dew and Dew Deluxe (hybrid), Vivente Novara and Novara Sport, Apollo Allegro, Gitane Mach 3200 and 3400 (if anyone has any experiences of any of these that would also be much appreciated). I have a limit to how much I can spend so would like to go with something with reasonably good components which I can then upgrade later.
I like the look of the Jamis and like the fact it is a steel frame bike (Reynolds 520 cro-mo); I have a soft spot for steel frames. Also, I have some spare parts lying around of Deore and Deore LX quality so could easily swap out the parts I think need upgrading.
I basically would like to hear some peoples experiences with the Jamis in terms of ride quality, durability etc.

I have a Jamis Coda Comp flat bar, and I use it for a ~30km round trip commute every day. It has XT parts so they are quite good. My biggest issue is that mine came with this "Xero Lite-4" rims which seem to be an OEM product and cannot find much information on them. Basically the front cone dust covers kept coming loose on the opposite side to the quick release skewer lever every approx 2 weeks. Due to being an OEM wheel (my opinion) the LBS i bought it from, had to get another bike in to swap the wheel over. Now i'm good. I find that the carbon forks tend to vibrate a bit under heavy braking. I've tried different pads and it made a little difference but it is still there if you don't have your weight balanced just right.

The ride quality is comfortable. As i mentioned, I do 30km a day on weekdays and slowly growing up to 100km on a weekend. It does this marvellously. As I am new to riding I am still learning the gearing about where I like to be for my cadance and my power levels. I can crank alone easily at 30km/h, blast over 50km/h on the flats or climb at 17-21km/h.

I enjoy my purchase, however get a test ride of all the bikes you like and buy what suits you. Thats the best advice i've got to give :)

1id10t said:
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Jamis Coda flat bar road bike. I'm thinking of buying one for commuting. So far I've looked at the Giant CRXs, Kona Dew and Dew Deluxe (hybrid), Vivente Novara and Novara Sport, Apollo Allegro, Gitane Mach 3200 and 3400 (if anyone has any experiences of any of these that would also be much appreciated). I have a limit to how much I can spend so would like to go with something with reasonably good components which I can then upgrade later.
I like the look of the Jamis and like the fact it is a steel frame bike (Reynolds 520 cro-mo); I have a soft spot for steel frames. Also, I have some spare parts lying around of Deore and Deore LX quality so could easily swap out the parts I think need upgrading.
I basically would like to hear some peoples experiences with the Jamis in terms of ride quality, durability etc.
i did have a squiz at the Coda... just found it a bit heavier than the equivalent Alu frame bike...

nice bike tho...

robalert said:
i did have a squiz at the Coda... just found it a bit heavier than the equivalent Alu frame bike...

nice bike tho...
True - it is a steel bike, but I was convinced on the merits of steel over alu on a bike which is for comfort riding/commuting. Personally I really like my bike - few things i'd like to change, but other than that all good for a bike for someone that hasn't riden in over 10 years.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. After having compared a few bikes and speaking with the staff at several stores, I'm leaning toward the Jamis. I don't think the slight weight difference will be too much of an issue and I do like the way steel bikes ride (one of my MTBs is cr-mo, a little on the heavy side but just that little bit more pleasant to ride than my alu mtb).
Anyway, hope to get it soon (the wife and I are hoping to settle on a property soon so it will have to come after that). As soon as I've got it and had the chance to test it out I'll post a review.

1id10t said:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. After having compared a few bikes and speaking with the staff at several stores, I'm leaning toward the Jamis. I don't think the slight weight difference will be too much of an issue and I do like the way steel bikes ride (one of my MTBs is cr-mo, a little on the heavy side but just that little bit more pleasant to ride than my alu mtb).
Anyway, hope to get it soon (the wife and I are hoping to settle on a property soon so it will have to come after that). As soon as I've got it and had the chance to test it out I'll post a review.
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/06_codasupreme.html

now this is seriously sweet!