Jamis & Orbea

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott'sTrek1000, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

Anybody have any experience with these brands? How do they compare to Cannondale? I will probably decide between the 3 for my next bike.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

They all make good bikes.Buy one and go ride.

3. copwatch

copwatch New Member

Forget the Cannondale. They're overpriced and not that good. I've had two. Both frames cracked. One at the BB the other at the chainstay. Cannondale failed to honor the warranty in both cases.

Orbea makes awesome bikes. I have an Euskaltel Replica. It's fantastic.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Guess what happens when it cracks. FWIW, I've had 4 Cdales from old to relatively new...no cracks.

5. copwatch

copwatch New Member

not sure what FWIW is.

But I'm sure I cracked them because of my Daniel Morelon type sprinting speed and strength:) Your mileage may vary.

6. RC2

RC2 New Member

If you're looking for a trick Al frame, check out Kleins... wouldn't mind a custom paint job Klein hanging out in the garage for fast rides...mmm. Lokstah?

7. gbriere

gbriere New Member

For the money - from my experience - I'm an Orbea convert. For the price you can't beat them(IMO). I've got both the carbon starship and the lobular pista and both are incredible. Fast, tight and light.

I'm in the process of trying to convince the wife that I "NEED" the Orca frame as well...

to complete the set, you know. :)

At the least, Orbea is definitely worth a test ride...

gb

8. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

I rode the Jamis Comet for a year before it was destroyed in a car crash and for the price I paid for it, I loved it. (Don't let the fact that the frame broke in a car crash detour you. A titanium frame would have broken after the crash we went through) I paid $1400 for it and got full Ultegra with $550 Kyserium Elite wheels. You would have a hard time beating that deal.

I test rode a couple of Orbeas: the Onix and the Mitis. I loved the Onix, by the way. It was clear that the Orbea frames are a higher quality than the Jamis, but they also cost a lot more. (The Mitis Ultegra costs $2000 and has cheaper wheels than the Jamis Comet, which retails for $1800 now) In my opinion, at regular retail prices, the two brands are pretty equal when comparing quality to price.

I can't speak for Cannondale because I have never even test ridden one, but I don't think you could go wrong with either a Jamis or Orbea.