Jamis Quest.

I bought a 2004 Quest this past spring and have put about 1200 miles on it so far this year. Although I am relatively new to road biking and don't have much else to compare it with, I really do like this bike.

It is hard to beat the component group at this price range. The Ultregra shifters are very nice but do require a bit of fiddling now and then to keep the shifts precise. The 105 brakes are fine, no problems there. The Mavic Cosmos wheels have taken alot of abuse particularly since I tend to ride more like a mountain biker than a roadie. I changed the tires to 25s since my commute has several miles of gravel trails. One complaint is that I could not stuff a larger tire onto the frame---25s are the max for this frame. The other complaint is that the bar tape was poorly wrapped. Both of these complaints are easily offset by the price and overall package that is the Quest.

Frame geometry is a nice blend and it includes lugs if you want to add some baggage for touring.

It is a triple ring bike so if you are serious about racing you might want another Jamis like the Comet or Xenith which I think has a double rings, at least as an option. Of course, you could also switch out later if you get into racing.

I noticed that the 2005 model has downgraded shifters compared to the 2004...down to the 105s from Ultegras.

Jamis makes very nice bikes and the Quest has a good reputation. In fact I would have bought one had we a dealer hereabouts. That may be the biggest challenge - finding a shop that sells them.

That said check out the following site for consumer reviews.....

www.roadbikereview.com

Good luck and good hunting.

thanks guys.

I dont want to race, but will do up to a century a couple of times a year. I will probably put a rack and bag on it to carry stuff. Fatter tires too if possible.

Are there any other bikes in this group you considered?

bk

bakhurts said:
thanks guys.

I dont want to race, but will do up to a century a couple of times a year. I will probably put a rack and bag on it to carry stuff. Fatter tires too if possible.

Are there any other bikes in this group you considered?

bk
I was pretty focussed on the Jamis brand mainly due to their reputation and the LBS. The Jamis Comet is an excellent bike but if you are not into racing it is probably a bit much.