Jammed alloy seat post.

Robert Norton

Guest
My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Rob

On 2005-07-23, Robert Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
> My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
> local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
> frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
> Thanks, Rob

As usual, the Great One has some answers:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

I think you want the ammonia tip to shift your seatpost. Remember to use
anti-seize or grease when you fit the new one :)

Regards,

-david

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:04:55 +0100, "Robert Norton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post.......

I've always found sticking the post in a vice and turning the frame
works

David Nutter wrote:

> As usual, the Great One has some answers:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
>
> I think you want the ammonia tip to shift your seatpost. Remember to use
> anti-seize or grease when you fit the new one :)

Those are all good advice but there is one more that I know Sheldon
doesn't like but which has worked for me. Drill a hole across the
seatpost, insert a steel bar through it and use a lump hammer on the bar
right next to the seatpost to impact it out. Sometimes just hitting the
top of the seatpost to drive it further into the frame by a few mm can
be enough to break any chemical bonding that has occurred before
applying Sheldon's other suggestions.

Good luck

--
Tony

Anon

Robert Norton wrote:

> My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
> local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
> frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
> Thanks, Rob

Give it to the bike shop. The cost of the job is penance for not
greasing it regularly ;-)