Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Robert Norton, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
    local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
    frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Rob

    Tags:

  2. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    On 2005-07-23, Robert Norton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
    > local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
    > frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks, Rob

    As usual, the Great One has some answers:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

    I think you want the ammonia tip to shift your seatpost. Remember to use
    anti-seize or grease when you fit the new one :)

    Regards,

    -david

  3. Mutz

    Mutz Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:04:55 +0100, "Robert Norton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post.......

    I've always found sticking the post in a vice and turning the frame
    works

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Nutter wrote:

    > As usual, the Great One has some answers:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
    >
    > I think you want the ammonia tip to shift your seatpost. Remember to use
    > anti-seize or grease when you fit the new one :)

    Those are all good advice but there is one more that I know Sheldon
    doesn't like but which has worked for me. Drill a hole across the
    seatpost, insert a steel bar through it and use a lump hammer on the bar
    right next to the seatpost to impact it out. Sometimes just hitting the
    top of the seatpost to drive it further into the frame by a few mm can
    be enough to break any chemical bonding that has occurred before
    applying Sheldon's other suggestions.

    Good luck

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  5. Robert Norton wrote:

    > My Dawes Galaxy has a jammed seat post. WD40 has not helped to free it. My
    > local shop recommends Jeyes Fluid (old time disinfectant) poured into the
    > frame but that seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks, Rob

    Give it to the bike shop. The cost of the job is penance for not
    greasing it regularly ;-)