Jammed stem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rickstarrunner, Apr 2, 2004.

1. rickstarrunner

rickstarrunner New Member

I can't remove my stem from my steer tube. I've managed to wiggle it about 1/2 inch from its original position, but am unable to move it in any direction now. I've tried bending the stem open more with a screwdriver, but I'm afraid to try to hard as I don't wanna mess anything up. Help! Eric

Tags:

2. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Yikes...

What's the history of this stem/steerer assembly? I mean, was this recently built up, or is this an older rig that may have seen some damage?

Sheldon Brown's website has a page of useful tips (here) for dealing with stuck seatposts; I wonder if some of these approaches might be applicable. They may, depending on the condition and history of your bike, steerer tube, and stem.

What's the story?

3. rickstarrunner

I only recently acquired the bike used (from a friend) so I don't know the exact history or age of the bike, but there's no rust or anything else abnormal. It looks in great condition, but I think the stem has been on the steer tube for a couple of years at least.

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

It may help to specify the make and model of the stem in case someone has specific experience with the particular clamp.
    At first glance I thought maybe you had a quill type stem, but can see that you are trying to open up an external clamp now.
    Any problems in relieving tension on the headset assembly?
    I am assuming that you do NOT have a carbon fiber steerer tube?

5. dorian

dorian New Member

Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance has these suggestions:

Remove the bolts, thread them in from the other side. Instert a coin into the slot between each bolt and the opposing unthreaded side of the stem. Tighten each bolt to spread the clamp slot open.

If you have a stem with a single bolt ahead of the steering tube, loosen the bolt and tap it with a hammer to free the wedge. You may need some penetrating oil.

6. rickstarrunner

Thanks all for the advice, I got it off today by my original method. The bike's former owner recommended continuing prying the clamp open with a screwdriver, which eventually worked.