Jammers instead of Cycling Shorts?

Dan09

Nov 29, 2009
Hi everyone. I was wondering if I could get your guys opinions on whether or not I could get away with wearing my swim team jammers on a ride I have coming up this weekend instead of proper cycling shorts (which I neither have nor can I get due to not having the money)?

My friend on the swim team (who is also going on the ride this friday) suggested I just wear jammers instead of the recomendded cycling shorts because apparantly they are very expensive and my parents said they wont buy me some since the season is almost over anyway.

The ride itself is about 75miles and I have done it before in the spring.

Any ideas or opinions on whether or not this might work?

Thanks alot!

The problem with the jammers is that they don't have any padding for the seat area, so your ***** may be hurting afterward if you ride with them for a long distance, unless you use a pair of padded triathlon briefs under them.

75 miles in swim trunks seems kinda rough, but assuming you didn't have cycling shorts the last time you did the ride I suppose you know what you're in for. If it worked then, it should work now.

frenchyge said:
75 miles in swim trunks seems kinda rough, but assuming you didn't have cycling shorts the last time you did the ride I suppose you know what you're in for. If it worked then, it should work now.

Well, the last time I did this ride it was in the summer and I just wore loose fitting gym shorts and some under armor shirt. It was hard, but I did have a flat back tire for about 1/5 of the ride haha.

It's a relatively flat ride that follows a great bike path in Little Miama, Ohio.

Also, for those that don't know, jammers are sort of like cycling shorts without the padding. Almost all of the guys on the swim team im on wear them to meets, they're really the closest thing I have to cycling shorts really.

Dan09 said:
Also, for those that don't know, jammers are sort of like cycling shorts without the padding. Almost all of the guys on the swim team im on wear them to meets, they're really the closest thing I have to cycling shorts really.
Cycling shorts are also cut higher in the back to compensate for the constantly-leaning-forward position encountered in road riding, that way there are no instances of - for lack of a better way to word it - "Plumber's Crack" :eek: - although you could also just wear a longer jersey for some insurance against that...

But on a side note, some LBS's will discount the prior year's clothing as well as the bikes themselves to clear them out, so shop around - you might find a decent pair for decent money.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Cycling shorts are also cut higher in the back to compensate for the constantly-leaning-forward position encountered in road riding, that way there are no instances of - for lack of a better way to word it - "Plumber's Crack" :eek: - although you could also just wear a longer jersey for some insurance against that...

But on a side note, some LBS's will discount the prior year's clothing as well as the bikes themselves to clear them out, so shop around - you might find a decent pair for decent money.

Thanks for the advice! I'm seriously low on cash right now, and I have absolutely no idea where in the world I would look to find shorts anyway, and I dont really own a jersey either (at least I have a bike! XD). I can drive for another year, so I really doubt I'll be able to get to the store between now and Friday; but once I'm back, any suggestions on where I should look?

Thanks very much!

cyberlegend1994 said:
You could try Nashbar - right now you can get a decent pair of shorts there for only around $20.

Thanks! Never heard of that site before, they have tons of stuff!

Getting my parents to let me get something online is gonna be a challenge, but I guess if I'm gonna keep up with this biking thing I might as well do it sooner rather than later. :p

Although it still looks like I'm gonna be stuck wearing jammers this weekend, unless this Nashbar place can ship in like 3-4 days maybe? I dunno.

Thanks again!