Jan Ullrich : good to see him back riding his bike!

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

Bicycle racers. Have you been living under a rock?

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. Choose your heros better. These guys are as fake as "professional wrestlers".

Cycling isn't the only sport with a drug problem, it's in peoples nature to push boundaries and sometimes break the rules. It doesn't mean it's right, but it happens.

Originally Posted by ambal .

Cycling isn't the only sport with a drug problem, it's in peoples nature to push boundaries and sometimes break the rules. It doesn't mean it's right, but it happens.
That's right. There are probably not a lot of sports that aren't touched by it, and there are certainly some sports in which the doping is just as bad. Those sports though are largely unscrutinized, at least not to the degree that cycling is. The reasons for that are likely numerous. It's just about certain that few, if any, sports are going after doping as strongly as cycling is. One can argue that perhaps cycling isn't doing enough or is going about things the wrong way, but they are active and public about their efforts. I can't think of another sport that's putting out as much of such an effort. In the US, it's damned sure that the "popular" sports--baseball, basketball, and football--aren't expending the energy that cycling is. Soccer seems to have magically avoided any serious scrutiny.

The energy spent by cycling is a bit of double edged sword: on the one hand, it is having success finding riders who are doping, while on the other hand every time cycling finds someone doping, that find is used as further proof that cycling is allegedly rife with doping. Everyone ignores the fact that the reason doping isn't being found in other sports is because it isn't being hunted aggressively.

No matter the case, the only person who's bought up heroes is qdc15. It's an accusation that can't be supported given the discussion in this thread so far. Certainly the idea that cyclists are as fake as "professional wrestlers" has no basis in reality or even in the most convoluted fantasies or delusions. I'm willing to bet the Lanterne Rouge in any TdF could ride any rider on this forum into the ground.

Cycling is a sport where there are lots of controls. This year I took part in a French criterium. The end of the race was at 12 at night and after the race 17 cyclists were controlled. I don't think there are so many controls in tennis or football especially amateur fotball.

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

Bicycle racers. Have you been living under a rock?

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings. Choose your heros better. These guys are as fake as "professional wrestlers".

You may want to check your spelling if you want your insults to be taken more seriously.

Originally Posted by alienator .

That's right. There are probably not a lot of sports that aren't touched by it, and there are certainly some sports in which the doping is just as bad. Those sports though are largely unscrutinized, at least not to the degree that cycling is. The reasons for that are likely numerous. It's just about certain that few, if any, sports are going after doping as strongly as cycling is. One can argue that perhaps cycling isn't doing enough or is going about things the wrong way, but they are active and public about their efforts. I can't think of another sport that's putting out as much of such an effort. In the US, it's damned sure that the "popular" sports--baseball, basketball, and football--aren't expending the energy that cycling is. Soccer seems to have magically avoided any serious scrutiny.

The energy spent by cycling is a bit of double edged sword: on the one hand, it is having success finding riders who are doping, while on the other hand every time cycling finds someone doping, that find is used as further proof that cycling is allegedly rife with doping. Everyone ignores the fact that the reason doping isn't being found in other sports is because it isn't being hunted aggressively.

No matter the case, the only person who's bought up heroes is qdc15. It's an accusation that can't be supported given the discussion in this thread so far. Certainly the idea that cyclists are as fake as "professional wrestlers" has no basis in reality or even in the most convoluted fantasies or delusions. I'm willing to bet the Lanterne Rouge in any TdF could ride any rider on this forum into the ground.
good post.

I don't think I'd fancy my chances against the lanterne rouge - even on my best days/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif