Jan Ullrich in hospital

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
I have know that Jan has been sick for a while now with what was described to me as "pfeiffersche Drüsenfieber" which I understand is some type of fatigue condition.Don't know the proper translation.
I understand that he also has a bad sinus infection and is in the hospital.
Some reports now descibe his condition as stress related.

From a quick look on wiki, it could be that he has mono (epstein-barr virus)

Das Pfeiffer-Drüsenfieber, auch Pfeiffersches Drüsenfieber, infektiöse Mononukleose, Mononucleosis infectiosa, Monozytenangina, Morbus Pfeiffer oder Kusskrankheit (engl.: kissing disease) genannt, ist eine sehr häufige und normalerweise harmlose Viruserkrankung, die durch das Epstein-Barr-Virus hervorgerufen wird

Yeah, what it said...

Epstein-Barr can be pretty devastating and can cause auto-immune disorders and even cancer. The most common result of Epstein-Barr is mononucleosis. Note they are not one in the same. Fortunately most people who are exposed to it don't get sick.

I can certainly empathize with Jan if he indeed has EBV. First, he's gonna feel like ****, and recovery can take a long time. I had a virus from the same family and was told it would take 1.5 years to fully recover. I'm at one year, now, and I believe the docs.

Jan certainly doesn't need this, especially with the publicity beating he's taken over the last handful of years. I think it's about time people just let Jan lead his life.

alienator said:
Epstein-Barr can be pretty devastating and can cause auto-immune disorders and even cancer. The most common result of Epstein-Barr is mononucleosis. Note they are not one in the same. Fortunately most people who are exposed to it don't get sick.

I can certainly empathize with Jan if he indeed has EBV. First, he's gonna feel like ****, and recovery can take a long time. I had a virus from the same family and was told it would take 1.5 years to fully recover. I'm at one year, now, and I believe the docs.

Jan certainly doesn't need this, especially with the publicity beating he's taken over the last handful of years. I think it's about time people just let Jan lead his life.

Thanks for that summation.

Sounds like a serious condition if he does in fact have EBV.

limerickman said:
Thanks for that summation.

Sounds like a serious condition if he does in fact have EBV.

Sorry Lim I been out of touch for a few days. I'll try and get an update today.

jhuskey said:
He is doing better and is back on the bike.

God, what I would give to see him competing again.

Heres a little tribute I made.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRzbAxZLwHo]YouTube - Jan Ullrich: 'My Star', Motivation & Inspiration.[/ame]

Song; Reamonn - Star.

Yeah!. I'm probably a bigger fan of Ullrich than Armstrong.

Jan who?

Has Jan ever been caught doping? Insinuation of doping? Just wondering if every time Lance spanked his ass and badly if the playing field was even.

Anyone?

He has only been charged with fraud. He would like to be involved with cycling in some way but to my knowledge not as a race participant.
Beyond that I have no comment.

jhuskey said:
He has only been charged with fraud. He would like to be involved with cycling in some way but to my knowledge not as a race participant.
Beyond that I have no comment.

No comment needs to be made when just tosses rumor and innuendo about.

roadhouse said:
Jan who?

Has Jan ever been caught doping? Insinuation of doping? Just wondering if every time Lance spanked his ass and badly if the playing field was even.

Anyone?

In '96, he was "suspected" of taking EPO. Jef D'Hont, former masseur of the Telekom team, claims to have administered Ullrich with EPO. SPECULATION.

As a big Ullrich fan, I claim BS.

In 2002 he took ecstasy in a nightclub.. Nothing performance related.

Missed a few training controls, nothing conclusive.

Just like Lance, Ullrich's drug test results came back clean.

Regardless, EPO can't turn donkey's into thoroughbreds, just like a masterchef can't turn donkey meat into filet mignon.

I guess almost a dozen DNA matched bags of blood (Operation Puerto) is just heresay and rumour and not evidence...

Chapeau! said:
In '96, he was "suspected" of taking EPO. Jef D'Hont, former masseur of the Telekom team, claims to have administered Ullrich with EPO. SPECULATION.

As a big Ullrich fan, I claim BS.

In 2002 he took ecstasy in a nightclub.. Nothing performance related.

Missed a few training controls, nothing conclusive.

Just like Lance, Ullrich's drug test results came back clean.

Regardless, EPO can't turn donkey's into thoroughbreds, just like a masterchef can't turn donkey meat into filet mignon.

I was involved at Federation level (sounds like something from Star Trek) in 1993-1995 Junior National Team level.
Coaching/admin stuff.

Anyhow, this role involved going to races on the continent with our underage cyclists.
Throughout, the rumours were all about this wunderkind - a kid called Jan Ullrich.
Each race that we attended we heard about how this guy was blitzing not only his own age group but guys who were older and who were supposed to be physically stronger.

I was in Oslo in 1993, when JU won the worlds.
I got to talking with our own squad and the British squad and we agreed that this guy, if he kept destroying the opposition, had it to go the very top of the sport.

Physically JU had everything.
Although his attitude was not 100% professional for the entire season, he was a superb rider.

limerickman said:
Physically JU had everything.
Although his attitude was not 100% professional for the entire season, he was a superb rider.

Some say he was one of the most talented riders of all time.

In a clean era, Do you think he would have won a lot more?.

Chapeau! said:
Some say he was one of the most talented riders of all time.

In a clean era, Do you think he would have won a lot more?.

Well he's one of the all time greats in an era full of doping.

Ullrich was consistently good from day 1 : just like the other greats such as Hinault, Merckx, Coppi, Lemond.
That is the sign of a really special rider, imo.

Forget the fact that he only one won TDF : look at his record.
It was consistently great and if his main rival was not indulged the way he was, JU would have had several more T'sDF to his name.

Regardless.
He raced at a consistently high level throughout his career.

limerickman said:
Ullrich was consistently good from day 1 : just like the other greats such as Hinault, Merckx, Coppi, Lemond.

Who do you regard as the greatest of all time limerick?. Taking into account, Merckx got his fingers burnt on several occasions.

Chapeau! said:
Who do you regard as the greatest of all time limerick?. Taking into account, Merckx got his fingers burnt on several occasions.

Merckx is the greatest rider ever IMO