Jan Ulrich handlebar position

sopas said:
You mean, Ullrich used the drops uphill??? I don't think i have seen him doing that many times. He was almost always in the saddle with hands on hoods. Anyway too bad Ullrich was never the same after 1997. I am convinced he could have at least won another TdF had he been in the shape of 1997.

By the way, this is somehow off topic but, how much did the bikes weight back in 1995? and how much did they weight in 2005? I guess there would be a difference of about 1-2 kilograms (3-4lbs).

Just take Armstrong out of the equation and the results change dramatically.

jhuskey said:
Just take Armstrong out of the equation and the results change dramatically.
Certainly!!! Without Armstrong, Ullrich would have won what?? 5, 6 TdF??

sopas said:
You mean, Ullrich used the drops uphill??? I don't think i have seen him doing that many times. He was almost always in the saddle with hands on hoods. Anyway too bad Ullrich was never the same after 1997. I am convinced he could have at least won another TdF had he been in the shape of 1997.

Ullrich in 1997 TDF on the drops surrounded by climbers Virenque and Herve

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgu...r+de+france&start=220&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

and at Arcalis

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgu...r+de+france&start=120&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Although I do agree that Ullrich mostly used the top bars for climbing - as in this picture with Virenque and Pantani

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgu...r+de+france&start=120&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

sopas said:
Certainly!!! Without Armstrong, Ullrich would have won what?? 5, 6 TdF??

Is hard to say for sure how long he would have raced if he had won a couple more and we will never know, possibly 7.
He was very confident that could have won in 2006 ,before exclusion due to Puerto.
I sent an e-mail to Jan, no response as yet and one to my friend who is Jan's neighbor. He tells me he is back in Switzerland but has not seen Jan as yet but will ask him about his preference of styles when he sees him next.

jhuskey said:
Is hard to say for sure how long he would have raced if he had won a couple more and we will never know, possibly 7.
He was very confident that could have won in 2006 ,before exclusion due to Puerto.
I sent an e-mail to Jan, no response as yet and one to my friend who is Jan's neighbor. He tells me he is back in Switzerland but has not seen Jan as yet but will ask him about his preference of styles when he sees him next.

Can you ask JU how he would be fixed for riding a 500km Pyrennean stage on seatless fixed gear unicycles, with no brakes, wearing rubber waders...................................

limerickman said:
Can you ask JU how he would be fixed for riding a 500km Pyrennean stage on seatless fixed gear unicycles, with no brakes, wearing rubber waders...................................

I will need to get Thomas to translate. From my limited experience speaking with him I have established that Jan does not always grasp the more illusive humor when presented in English .

jhuskey said:
THank you very much.
I think it is great to have someone here with contacts with Ullrich!!!! :) :)

By the way, Do you know if Jan still rides for fun or if he practices other sports?? We all know Armstrong is participating in Marathons, plays tennis, etc. What about Jan?
After retirement, Indurain used to ride a bit, however, the last I know of him is that his knees are very delicate. He can not run on foot due to pain. Those are the consequences of many years of profesional cycling (Indurain used 180mm crank arm lenght!!!!)

sopas said:
THank you very much.
I think it is great to have someone here with contacts with Ullrich!!!! :) :)

By the way, Do you know if Jan still rides for fun or if he practices other sports?? We all know Armstrong is participating in Marathons, plays tennis, etc. What about Jan?
After retirement, Indurain used to ride a bit, however, the last I know of him is that his knees are very delicate. He can not run on foot due to pain. Those are the consequences of many years of profesional cycling (Indurain used 180mm crank arm lenght!!!!)

He does not train like he did but has been in Spain riding as of late and is doing a charity ride in Germany, I believe in October. He has been to the States several times to MTB out west and rides his MTB a lot in the Alps. He skis a bit also , I hear.
He has been busy with his new son the past year (Max) who will be 1 year old any day now.
I can't remember the exact day of his birth without looking up some old e-mails, but I am almost sure it was early to mid August.
The X-bionic sportswear deal has fallen apart, at least for he time being.

jhuskey said:
He does not train like he did but has been in Spain riding as of late and is doing a charity ride in Germany, I believe in October. He has been to the States several times to MTB out west and rides his MTB a lot in the Alps. He skis a bit also , I hear.
He has been busy with his new son the past year (Max) who will be 1 year old any day now.
I can't remember the exact day of his birth without looking up some old e-mails, but I am almost sure it was early to mid August.
The X-bionic sportswear deal has fallen apart, at least for he time being.
Where's the cash coming from to support such a lifestyle ?

whiteboytrash said:

Well , I am not privy to his bank records but understand he has enough money to keep him going for a long time and he is getting offers.
He aslo talks about releasing his book but will have to write it first.
I doubt that it will be a best seller in 10 years so he better get busy.

limerickman said:
Agreed.

BigMig was poetry in motion.
I think jimmypop hit on a fair point. We watched Indurain's sheer power and smoothness with naive admiration in an age of innocence. Now... if the same Indurain came along... we'd be shouting "DOPER!!!!" from the hilltops. Doping has detroyed our faith in those that excel and stand apart. Notwithstanding that in hindsight... Indurain was a doper.... It wasn't on our minds at the time.

whiteboytrash said:

Wasn't his salary around $3 million a year when he was riding?

Crankyfeet said:
I think jimmypop hit on a fair point. We watched Indurain's sheer power and smoothness with naive admiration in an age of innocence. Now... if the same Indurain came along... we'd be shouting "DOPER!!!!" from the hilltops. Doping has detroyed our faith in those that excel and stand apart. Notwithstanding that in hindsight... Indurain was a doper.... It wasn't on our minds at the time.
You're absolutely wrong. Dope doesn't create the class that Indurain had. I think Indurain doped and would be shocked if he didn't, but that doesn't change my opinion of his class. I still think they all dope and no one is close. Even after Indurain's retirement, the only rider I can think of with class near Indurain was Ullrich, but as noted previously, his off season antics didn't help him.

well of the bike jan´s "handlebar postion" is (-;:D:D

98560_1217464888.jpg

fscyclist said:
You're absolutely wrong. Dope doesn't create the class that Indurain had. I think Indurain doped and would be shocked if he didn't, but that doesn't change my opinion of his class. I still think they all dope and no one is close. Even after Indurain's retirement, the only rider I can think of with class near Indurain was Ullrich, but as noted previously, his off season antics didn't help him.
You missed my point. It was about our cynicism now when we view extraordinary performance vs. our innocence/ignorance as spectators then. It wasn't about Indurain's class.

kennf said:
Wasn't his salary around $3 million a year when he was riding?
I thought his salary was higher. 3/4 million Euros, more like $5/6 million. If you add addidas sponsorship, then he probably has enough money to live comfortably.

Jan the man said:
I thought his salary was higher. 3/4 million Euros, more like $5/6 million. If you add addidas sponsorship, then he probably has enough money to live comfortably.
Not to mention that dreadful photospread in Bild. That would have brought in some cash.

No one wears a linen suit like Jan Ullrich. Well no one wears linen suits.