Jan Ulrich handlebar position

whiteboytrash said:
Where's the cash coming from to support such a lifestyle ?
Nike would be a good start.

And from all the pop up ad's I've seen, this would be another....

FRS&Lance.jpg

It actually forgot about this for a while but just got the answer today.

He said the lightweight riders like Pantani pedaled in the mountains with "only 360 watts", while he and Indurain for instance had to pedal, because of their higher weight, with 465watts. Now, when you pedale with such strength, you have to use not just legs and arms, but also the back muscles. In order to do so you have to hold the handle bar on the sides, the brake levers, to get enough pull. He said that Armstrong was an exception to the rule, since he pedaled with high cadence but had almost 68 kg. When you get out of your seat and stand up, your legs have, additional, carry your body weight as well, which means for a heavier rider additional energy. That's why Jan usually stayed seated when he was biking on his limits.

jhuskey said:

He said the lightweight riders like Pantani pedaled in the mountains with "only 360 watts", while he and Indurain for instance had to pedal, because of their higher weight, with 465watts. Now, when you pedale with such strength, you have to use not just legs and arms, but also the back muscles. In order to do so you have to hold the handle bar on the sides, the brake levers, to get enough pull. He said that Armstrong was an exception to the rule, since he pedaled with high cadence but had almost 68 kg. When you get out of your seat and stand up, your legs have, additional, carry your body weight as well, which means for a heavier rider additional energy. That's why Jan usually stayed seated when he was biking on his limits.

Thanks.

Yeah, JU's explanation for staying seated makes sense.
If the bigger rider stands up, when he's climbing, he uses more energy.

The positioning of JU's hands though was interesting.
I looked through my catelogue of old cycling mags and as Sopas pointed out,
JU always had his hands on the side of the top bar, beside the breakhood.
Indurain on the other hand, placed his hands in the middle of the top bar or, as in 1993-1995, he placed his hands on the drops when climbing (freakish stuff).

But I can clearly recall JU in 1996 TDF, placing his hands on the drops when he climbed.
I can definitely recall seeing him do that.
Because at the time, I remember thinking JU is trying to psyche Indurain out
during the 1996 TDF

Ullefan said:
As in comeback fit, or daddy likes to ride with his kids on the weekend fit?

As in not overweight at all, but no he says he is not in racing form. I believe he said he could average only about 27 mph on an easy course right now with no hills.

No naked photos WBT. I am not that big of a fan.

All professional riders - and ex-riders likes JU - would be able to destroy most cyclists.

jhuskey said:

Thank you very much for your time and your great reply.
By the way, Armstrong only weighted 68 kg???!!!! I thought we was about 74 kg. I know Armstrong is only 1,77 cm high (compared to Ullrich 1,83) but he does not look small at all.

limerickman said:
Thanks.

Yeah, JU's explanation for staying seated makes sense.
If the bigger rider stands up, when he's climbing, he uses more energy.

The positioning of JU's hands though was interesting.
I looked through my catelogue of old cycling mags and as Sopas pointed out,
JU always had his hands on the side of the top bar, beside the breakhood.
Indurain on the other hand, placed his hands in the middle of the top bar or, as in 1993-1995, he placed his hands on the drops when climbing (freakish stuff).

But I can clearly recall JU in 1996 TDF, placing his hands on the drops when he climbed.
I can definitely recall seeing him do that.
Because at the time, I remember thinking JU is trying to psyche Indurain out
during the 1996 TDF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdizeX5r3Zk&feature=related
he used the drops sometimes when he climb

sopas said:
Thank you very much for your time and your great reply.
By the way, Armstrong only weighted 68 kg???!!!! I thought we was about 74 kg. I know Armstrong is only 1,77 cm high (compared to Ullrich 1,83) but he does not look small at all.

I took the direct quote and I am not sure as to the time frame he is speaking of, which might make a difference as far a weight goes.
There may be some more Jan/Lance news to be had. I will keep my ears open.

I can tell you that the 94 and 95 Pantani had his hands predominantly above the brakes, when he was off the saddle. After getting busted up at the end of 95, he changed to the lower gripping style. Apparently his legs were not the same length anymore, and he felt more fluid I imagine with that posture. There are a number of youtube videos that show him in the Carrera years.

limerickman said:
Yeah Sopas : those photos are exactly how Indurain pedalled at 1995 TDF. Uphill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While chasing Pantani!

Funny enough, Ullrich in the 1996 and 1997 TDF used the same technique/position as Indurain has in the 1995 photo.