Japanese velomobile prototype

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ken Kobayashi, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. I just saw this in the newspaper:

    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/toyama/news002.htm

    It's a prototype fully faired delta trike developed by a small Japanese company. No price or
    production date is given. It's 125cm tall, 185cm long and 59cm wide. It weighs 50 kg (!) including
    an electric assist system. It mentions a pedal-operated generator but I'm not sure how that works.
    The body is fiberglass.

    So it's heavy, ugly and most likely slow, but it might be a practical solution for some people. What
    do you think?

  2. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > I just saw this in the newspaper:
    >
    > http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/e-japan/toyama/news002.htm

    If there is a picture link on that page, I can't find it. I don't have a problem with it just being
    all question marks because neither I nor my computer can read Japanese. When I go to Japanese car
    sites, I just mouse over everything and the links show up in English at the bottom of my browser.

    JR

  3. "John Riley" skrev

    > If there is a picture link on that page, I can't find it. I don't have a problem with it just
    > being all question marks because neither I nor my computer can read Japanese. When I go to
    > Japanese car sites, I just mouse over everything and the links show up in English at the bottom of
    > my browser.

    I think the story has changed. I went there right after he posted the link and saw the picture.
    Wasn't all that impressive looking. Kinda like a misshapen cabbike. ;)

    Mikael

  4. Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]t>...
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:37:28 GMT, John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >If there is a picture link on that page, I can't find it.
    >
    > Sorry, looks like the content changes every day and there seems to be no archive. I'll post the
    > address when I find the picture again.
    >

    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

    Thanks Ken. I could not figure out links on that page. I was blaming my computer!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > >> Sorry, looks like the content changes every day and there seems to be no archive. I'll post the
    > >> address when I find the picture again.
    >
    > I finally saw another photo on the net:
    >
    > http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20030419-01300573-jijp-dom.view-001

    The high and upright riding position (similar to an EZ-3) results in excessive frontal area (slow)
    and side area (poor crosswind stability).

  7. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> I finally saw another photo on the net:
    >>
    >> http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20030419-01300573-jijp-dom.view-001
    >
    > The high and upright riding position (similar to an EZ-3) results in excessive frontal area (slow)
    > and side area (poor crosswind stability).

    and also makes for ease of seeing and being seen. The upright position is also good for those of us
    who require it. Not everyone can ride a low- racer. /~:

  8. Mikael Seierup <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Taken against a white background in a snowstorm? :) Doesnt show anything for me at any rate.

    It's the speed that blurs it... My computer is so slow that I can see it loud and clear.

    Funny picture, yep. Executive class vehicle? :)

    I'd think this vehicle has mediocre vision... those vertical bars are what I hate when driving a
    car, and on this vehicle they are doubled...

  9. Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]t>...
    > >> Sorry, looks like the content changes every day and there seems to be no archive. I'll post the
    > >> address when I find the picture again.
    >
    > I finally saw another photo on the net:
    >
    > http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20030419-01300573-jijp-dom.view-001
    >

    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

    Thanks Ken! Neat little thing, windsheild wiper and everything!!! I would be wary of the delta
    stance myself, but tadpole wheelbase would seem tippy also if it was high.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  10. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    I found the picture now. Wish I hadn't taken the time. I'm all for light vehicles of any kind, but
    that is one ugly puppy.

    Bryan J. Ball www.bentrider.com

  11. "Ken Kobayashi" skrev

    > Sorry. There are a couple more photos here, maybe they'll work:
    >
    > http://www.shirouma.co.jp/aw.html

    Yep. I saw it first time around though.

    50 kg? Does it have electrical assist? Looks like something out of a cheap 60's sci-fi movie.

    M.