Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

JD's Trek Posts

Started by Tbf · · Last activity · 61 posts · 2,595 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
12 April 2004
Last activity
16 April 2004
Original author
Tbf
Posts
61
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,595
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 61
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dan Volker said:

    Greg, pull your nose out of the pubic hairs in JD's
    [censored].

    I think bomba covered this one all too well.

    Quoted message said:

    You don't even know what the real argument has been about,
    even though you have been chiming in from the start.

    What makes you think there's one single "real argument" in
    this thread? TBF's original thread was about "JRA" - just
    riding around - which has a hell of a lot to do with the
    "traditional" view of mountain biking.

    Quoted message said:

    Aside from the backslapping among you and the other
    circle jerkers, the dispute has little to do with good
    mountain biking....the dispute is much more about two
    views of the sport.

    NO, that was just YOUR personal beef.

    His dispute with JD was about brands of full-suspension
    bikes, and if you'd read the thread you'd notice there was
    no mention of singlespeeds. JD's broken quite a few bike
    frames in his years. Personally, I think that is mostly due
    to the fact that he's a behemoth so what breaks for him
    might not break for a lot of others...but that's why I
    haven't been involved in this thread.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  2. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:23:25 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    You do realise that the majority of people here have
    already ridden with other people on the group, don't
    you? There are ""group get-togethers"" throughout the
    world. The difference is, we just want to ride with each
    other on nice trails, not settle scores. I think this
    final point


    probably

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    illustrates our differences of opinion rather well.

    You may see this as "settling scores". I don't. My guess
    would be that in virtually every case, when you have
    people who have been in a heated


    usenet

    Quoted message said:

    debate, actually getting together, the result will be
    friendly and


    amicable.

    Quoted message said:

    In the case of this mountain biking group and the threads
    argued about, it would be more of an understanding what
    each other means..a semantics type thing, and after riding
    with them, having a better idea of why they sound the way
    they do with their posts. No matter how much of a
    challenge I may have aimed at JD, when I do get the chance
    to ride with him, I am going to be planning on a fun trip,
    and I'm going to expect him to be alot more enjoyable to
    ride with in real life, than to talk to on the NG. Any
    challenge would be relatively unimportant, the enjoyment
    of the ride would be the big issue. I'm enjoying talking
    smack about SSers too much, to let


    a

    Quoted message said:

    little thing like who actually wins the challenge to
    concern me :-)


    But

    Quoted message said:

    of course, if JD was on a SS at Quiet Waters, I would also
    enjoy having to wait for him to catch up every 5 minutes
    or so :-)

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

    thank you for starting my day off with a laugh.

    Greg

  3. "TBF" <[email hidden]> wrote [... blah ...]

    You know, if JD didn't exist, we would have to invent him.

    CC

  4. Corvus Corvax said:

    "TBF" <[email hidden]> wrote [... blah ...]

    You know, if JD didn't exist, we would have to invent him.

    JD is the AM-B equivalent to rec.cycling.*'s Fabrizio
    Mazzoleni.

    Bill "GT and I know -- we tried to find the shack and it was
    just a mailbox in a strip mall" S.

  5. BB wrote: <snip pretty reasonable stuff>

    Quoted message said:

    but that's why I haven't been involved in this thread.

    I just try and stay the hell away from any of these kinds of
    threads (maybe I'll write a "let me count the ways" sonnet
    sometime). Not my cup of tea, really.

    I sure do like to ride. Had a fine SS outing last night
    despite cold and wind. Good stuff!

    Matt (although sometimes, like a black hole I get sucked in
    no matter how hard I try to resist)

  6. "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    TBF wrote:
    >
    >
    > Everyone wants to be the man in their own hood.
    > Alt.MTB is obviously


    his

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > thing, but it's you groupies that make me laugh.
    > Your so eager to


    kiss

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    his

    Quoted message said:

    > ass that your probably staking out the bathrooms in
    > his town.
    >

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with

    Quoted message said:

    JD. It has everything to do with heaping grief on 2
    completely

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pompous cockheads like you and Dan V.

    Greg

    Greg, pull your nose out of the pubic hairs in JD's
    [censored]. You don't


    even

    Quoted message said:

    know what the real argument has been about, even though
    you have been chiming in from the start. Aside from the
    backslapping among you and the other circle jerkers, the
    dispute has little to do with good mountain
    biking....the dispute is much more about two views of
    the sport. There


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the SS group, that thinks REAL MOUNTAINBIKING is about
    simplifying, lightening, spending less, and somehow
    getting back to basics ( and of course, forgetting that
    hiking would be the ultimate extension of this)....


    realize

    Quoted message said:

    that there is no "SS group"? Once you realize that you may
    just start getting it.

    Greg

    Greg, your delusional. There is a dominant posting presence
    on this NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or
    who are buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing the
    same posting game. Dan V

  7. MattB said:

    I sure do like to ride. Had a fine SS outing last night
    despite cold and wind. Good stuff!

    Uh-oh, he said the "S" word. ;-)

    I nearly had a fine outing despite cold and wind. Ended up
    spending all evening helping my daughter with a school
    project - couldn't resist, it was a trebuchet! I let her do
    all the design work, making me mostly a laborer, but it was
    still fun just doing things together.

    Quoted message said:

    Matt (although sometimes, like a black hole I get sucked
    in no matter how hard I try to resist)

    I know, I know.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  8. Dan Volker said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    There is a dominant posting presence on this

    Quoted message said:

    NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or who are
    buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing the same
    posting game. Dan V

    cool Dan... care to show us the statiscal breakdown on that?
    Do you have a breakdown by topic or poster, and did you use
    a percentile basis, estimation, or are you manually tallying
    everything.

    this I gotta see.

    penny

  9. Penny S said:
    Dan Volker said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    There is a dominant posting presence on this

    Quoted message said:

    NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or who are
    buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing the same
    posting game. Dan V

    cool Dan... care to show us the statiscal breakdown on
    that? Do you have a breakdown by topic or poster, and did
    you use a percentile basis, estimation, or are you
    manually tallying everything.

    I blame Bill Wheeler.

    Bill "for everything" S.

  10. BB said:
    MattB said:

    I sure do like to ride. Had a fine SS outing last night
    despite cold and wind. Good stuff!

    Uh-oh, he said the "S" word. ;-)

    I nearly had a fine outing despite cold and wind. Ended up
    spending all evening helping my daughter with a school
    project - couldn't resist, it was a trebuchet! I let her
    do all the design work, making me mostly a laborer, but it
    was still fun just doing things together.

    My son built a scale model ballista a few years ago. We
    had to video the results, he couldn't take a weapon to
    school ( roll eyes) It shoots pop cans and tennis balls.
    There are lots of cool web site out there dedicated to
    building these things!!

    penny

  11. Penny S said:

    BB wrote: (some way off-topic [censored] about trebuchets)

    Quoted message said:

    There are lots of cool web site out there dedicated to
    building these things!!

    No kidding! There were probably a dozen at least. Hers is
    nearly a duplicate of one she saw on a website - 12" tall
    and fires a ball 33 feet with high accuracy!

    How did we EVER get by when we were kids?!?!

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  12. "BB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:23:25 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    NO, that was just YOUR personal beef.

    His dispute with JD was about brands of full-suspension
    bikes, and if you'd read the thread you'd notice there was
    no mention of singlespeeds. JD's broken quite a few bike
    frames in his years. Personally, I think that is mostly
    due to the fact that he's a behemoth so what breaks for
    him might not break for a lot of others...but that's why I
    haven't been involved in this thread.

    OK, valid point. My post was colored by expectations...as
    would your if MV posted to you about why you should not ride
    on a specific trail ( you'd expect an agenda from him, and
    you'd pretty well guess what it would be ).

    Dan V

  13. "Penny S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    There is a dominant posting presence on this

    Quoted message said:

    NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or who
    are buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing the
    same posting game. Dan V

    cool Dan... care to show us the statiscal breakdown on
    that? Do you have a breakdown by topic or poster, and did
    you use a percentile basis, estimation, or are you
    manually tallying everything.

    this I gotta see.

    penny

    Great Penney, I suppose if you went to dinner with 8 people,
    you'd enter the evening's discussion threads into an excel
    sheet, and create statistical models of each person????

    Dan V

  14. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "bomba" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:23:25 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    But of course, if JD was on a SS at Quiet Waters, I would
    also enjoy having to wait for him to catch up every 5
    minutes or so :-)

    Dan V

    You've got a great imagination, but I suppose stranger
    things may have happened.

    paladin

  15. BB said:
    MattB said:

    I sure do like to ride. Had a fine SS outing last night
    despite cold and wind. Good stuff!

    Uh-oh, he said the "S" word. ;-)

    Whoops! I guess it slipped out. Well, to make up for it I'll
    point out that I rode my geared FS twice last week. I'd like
    to think I'd don't fit very neatly into any of the
    stereotypes presented here. All the resta' y'all do though!
    Every one! (well, except for some).

    Quoted message said:

    I nearly had a fine outing despite cold and wind. Ended up
    spending all evening helping my daughter with a school
    project - couldn't resist, it was a trebuchet! I let her
    do all the design work, making me mostly a laborer, but it
    was still fun just doing things together.

    Cool. I'm looking forward to making stuff like that
    with my boy.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Matt (although sometimes, like a black hole I get sucked
    in no matter how hard I try to resist)

    I know, I know.

    Maybe we should just try to hijack all these threads and
    send them spiraling into the abyss of talk about actual
    riding! Oh the horror!

    Matt (motivational problems at work today - I should
    be riding!)

  16. Dan Volker said:


    "Penny S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    There is a dominant posting presence on this

    Quoted message said:

    NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or who
    are buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing
    the same posting game. Dan V

    cool Dan... care to show us the statiscal breakdown on
    that? Do you have a breakdown by topic or poster, and did
    you use a percentile basis, estimation, or are you
    manually tallying everything.

    this I gotta see.

    penny

    Great Penney, I suppose if you went to dinner with 8
    people, you'd enter the evening's discussion threads into
    an excel sheet, and create statistical models of each
    person????

    Nice dodge cluewbie.

    Perhaps if you truly thought about the answer, you would
    realize how utterly foolish your claims are.

    I doubt you'll do that though. The thinking part that is.

  17. Dan Volker said:

    "Penny S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    There is a dominant posting presence on this

    Quoted message said:

    NG from people who either are fanatical SSers, or who are
    buddies of these guys, and so they enjoy playing the same
    posting game. Dan V

    cool Dan... care to show us the statiscal breakdown on
    that? Do you have a breakdown by topic or poster, and did
    you use a percentile basis, estimation, or are you
    manually tallying everything.

    this I gotta see.

    penny

    Great Penney, I suppose if you went to dinner with 8
    people, you'd enter the evening's discussion threads into
    an excel sheet, and create statistical models of each
    person????

    Dan V

    can't...stop...laughing... Dude, are you capable of
    carrying on a normal conversation? Every time you open
    your mouth (keyboard, whatever) you flare up and get
    pushed into a corner. Please, never go away, your threads
    are a blast to read.

    Your quickly becoming my favorite poster.

  18. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "G.T." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TBF said:

    Everyone wants to be the man in their own hood.
    Alt.MTB is obviously


    his

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    thing, but it's you groupies that make me laugh. Your
    so eager to kiss


    his

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ass that your probably staking out the bathrooms in
    his town.


    Quoted message said:

    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pompous cockheads like you and Dan V.

    Greg

    Greg, pull your nose out of the pubic hairs in JD's
    [censored]. You don't


    even

    Quoted message said:

    know what the real argument has been about, even though
    you have been chiming in from the start. Aside from the
    backslapping among you and the other circle jerkers, the
    dispute has little to do with good mountain biking....the
    dispute is much more about two views of the sport. There
    is the SS group, that thinks REAL MOUNTAINBIKING is about
    simplifying, lightening, spending less, and somehow
    getting back to basics ( and of course, forgetting that
    hiking would be the ultimate extension of this)....and
    there is another group of mountain bikers, that is always
    looking for the Magic Carpet ride...they want the
    technological marvel


    that

    Quoted message said:

    will allow them to do more, easier. If someone in this
    category was given


    a

    Quoted message said:

    rigid SS bike to ride, they would feel that they were
    being robbed of a


    huge

    Quoted message said:

    part of the experience of mountain biking---the feeling
    that they had all these technological solutions, all
    dialed in just for them, each contributing perfectly to
    the ideal performance for a thrilling ride on a good
    trail. The people who resemble either of these two the
    most, don't think THE


    SPORT

    Quoted message said:

    OF MOUNTAIN BIKING should be enjoyed any other way than
    their approach. Both groups forget that we are all doing
    this for the thrill and for the outdoor adventure...
    They are really arguing about who knows how to have fun,
    and this is a pretty stupid thing to argue about. I've
    been pretty


    stu

    Quoted message said:

    pid in that I've allowed myself to be sucked in to such a
    ridiculous argument, by people so far away that settling
    the argument is a huge, long distance ordeal. Such a
    ridiculous argument could only be created in a place like
    the Internet, and there is no guarantee it can be settled
    with some kind of "group get-together" .... you still
    have the two conflicting ideas of what fun is, even after
    all the fitness and skill posturing get sorted out in a
    group ride.

    Dan V

    So how about that Victoria's Secrets thing huh....yeesh

    Who cares what a handful of people think? At the end of the
    day I ride because I love being outdoors. Whether it's in
    the woods hiking, climbing or the motorcycle on a nice
    stretch of country road doing 160, it's all good to
    me.

    When I had my roadster, there were people who constantly
    fought about everything under the sun...biggest pipes,
    better engine, nicest rims, yadayadayada. Now that I
    sold the car and bought a motorcycle, same thing every
    Friday night, bunch of people and a pissing contest over
    who rocks...

    I really just like reading about the rides ya'll go on and
    seeing the odd pictures of singletrack back home, I could
    care less what other people are

    not true but the USA rocks for MTB!

    BTW: much as I think he's a jerk, somebody once told me
    something outstanding about JD that didn't have anything to
    do with bikes. He can't be all that bad if it was true.

    So now back to the VC thing, we should start a petition to
    bring it back!!

  19. TBF said:

    I really just like reading about the rides ya'll go on
    and seeing the odd pictures of singletrack back home, I
    could care less what other people are riding, as long as
    it's safe.

    Who says he doesn't get it?

    Quoted message said:

    So now back to the VC thing, we should start a petition to
    bring it back!!

    The Viet Cong?

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  20. Quoted message said:

    The Viet Cong?

    Sure if they look good in a two piece !

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.