Jeanie Longo....

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 27, 7:51 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > The only possible reason, other than they just hate here, would be
>> > they don't consider women cycling to be anything other than a
>> > sideshow.
>> > It's pretty damned easy to make the case for Edddy as the best ever,
>> > but on the women's side, after Longo and Beryl Burton it's a long way
>> > to the next best, and I think I've changed my mind and would put Longo
>> > ahead of Burton.
>> > Bill C

>> Yvonne Reynders won 12 medals at the woman's world championships
>> including 4
>> gold medals and 2 silver medals in the road race. In the pursuit she won
>> 3
>> gold medals and 3 silver medals. Ten years later, Yvonne won the
>> nationals
>> and took 3rd in the World Championships.
>>
>> Yvonne Reynders of
>> Belgium..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIaoM_4wxD0&mode=related&search=
>>
>> GBMT- Hide quoted text -

> Where's Benjo when we need him???!!!

You don't need me at all ... GoneBeforeMyTime knows about hundred times as
much about women's cycling as I do ...

Benjo

On Sep 27, 8:29 pm, "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Sep 27, 7:51 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Yvonne Reynders won 12 medals at the woman's world championships
> >> including 4
> >> gold medals and 2 silver medals in the road race. In the pursuit she won
> >> 3
> >> gold medals and 3 silver medals. Ten years later, Yvonne won the
> >> nationals
> >> and took 3rd in the World Championships.

> >> Yvonne Reynders of
> >> Belgium..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIaoM_4wxD0&mode=related&search=

> >> GBMT- Hide quoted text -

> > Where's Benjo when we need him???!!!

> You don't need me at all ... GoneBeforeMyTime knows about hundred times as
> much about women's cycling as I do ...
>
> Benjo- Hide quoted text -

But let's be real Benjo. He's not objective. You are, and I like him.
Bill C

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

but on the women's side, after Longo and Beryl Burton it's a long way

Longo

There's not much to go on in the 50's, 60's. Even the guy who is researching
Burton is asking for help. Elsy Jacobs
had a book written about her exploits, the first winner of the worlds in
1958. In the 70's, better, the beginning of Velonews. In the 80's better
still, another American resurgence since 1969 when Audrey McElmury became
the first America women to win the World Road Championships. You had Connie
Carpenter winning the Olympic road race in Los Angeles and Marianne Ann
Martin winning the first women's Tour De France. But the real explosion of
progress and news in women's cycling came in the 90's with an incredible
amount of good riders. Plus the internet boom fueled the ability to access
information.

But quickly, in the 60's, Burton stands out above the rest, but Reynders was
the clostest rival it seems. In the 70's, Genevieve Gambillon from France
won the road race at the worlds twice in 74, 75. Josiane Bost was also an
outstanding rider from France. She won various European seasonal awards five
years in a row. Other good riders of that time were Keetie Hage of the
Netherlands and Anna Konkina of USSR. In track there was Connie Young,
Rebecca Twigg, Sue Novara and Sheila Young. Beth Heiden had a short run, and
the well known Connie Carpenter. There were others.

Then, in mid 80's Longo started to dominate with Canins, Catherine Marsal.
Van Moorsel came in the early 90's, and the 90's was chalk full of awesome
riders. Of course you know the rest, riders like Arndt, Watt, Rossner,
Somaribba, Dede Barry, Linda Jackson, Luperini, tons more.

GBMT

On Sep 26, 10:43 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> No, I mean your " nobody ever heard of her again". The '96 mess was just
> that, a mess. And it can be laid at her feet if you want to portray a
> simple, neat package of a reply, but it's somewhat more complex than that.
>
> As for the 'nobody ever heard of her again', Twigg was not one to dwell in
> the spotlight. Given her pre '88 accolades, did you hear anything about her
> until she resurfaced in 1992?

I heard she was on the sundeck of the Ramada getting a transfusion
during the 84 Olympics.

On Sep 28, 7:35 am, [email protected] wrote:

> Oh, sorry. I posted that link for the photos only. You can tell that
> Lucas is a redneck jerk from those, I believe. He basically
> continually insults his charges and almost never congratulates them
> for good results, and Manaudou has had lots of those. She terminated
> her relationship with him last year. Since then he has been under
> investigation for fraud, including cashing Manaudou's cheques
> illegally.
>
> -ilan- Hide quoted text -

I like trying. I was much better when we were living in Germany,
obviously, and It's always been easier for me to read other languages
than speak them. 99% of the time I can get all the basics from what
I'm reading pretty easily then it's off to the dictionary, or a
translator for help. Except the Polish, or Lithuanian which I have
about 6 words of each, and forget writing and spelling in either ;-)
Bill C