Jeannie Longo

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Nakashima, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo, pretty
    awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4" 103.5 lbs.
    Where does this petite cyclist get all her power? Training
    must only be part of it. -tom

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    That's certainly an understatement! Great genetics for starters.

  3. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom

    Do you mean in climbing hills?

  4. Ggt

    Ggt Guest

    hormones.

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom

    She is extremely dedicated and disciplined, good genes
    definitely, lot of stamina, good lungs and heart,
    arguably the greatest women cyclist of all time. In my
    book, I rate them...

    1. Jeannie Longo

    2. Leontien Van Moorsel

    3. Fabiana Luperini

    B-

  6. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom

    I've ridden with her in the past, and it's pretty stunning
    to watch this tiny person power away on the flats. At first
    you think, what's this junior doing in my race...

  7. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    She has been at the top of the sport for over two decades.
    You are correct, it takes more than just training to do
    that. It takes drive and determination and more character
    than any of us will ever know.

    I was at Hamilton last year with my 8 year old daughter. The
    Womens race sucked, until Longo attacked on Beckett. Before
    that there was some activity from Spain and some really
    pointless stuff from the Americans but it was Longo that
    threw some suspense into the race. We were sitting at the
    top of Claremont watching the race on a handheld TV so we
    knew she was coming by herself. When she passed there was
    more life that I had seen in the crowd all day.

    After the field passed we watched the TV and talked about
    Jeanne Longo. Who she was when she first started making a
    name for herself at Worlds when dad was much younger. How
    dad remembered watching her win an Olympic medal through
    sheer power and fitness, just riding away from everyone
    else. Who she still was, showing more class than anyone else
    over the entire weekend.

    When she came over the last climb with just a few kilometers
    left to the finish it was clear that it was over for her.
    But we both watched the TV and were both sorry to see her
    overtaken so close to the finish after such a great effort.

    My daughter and I talked about the finish on the way back to
    our hotel. The trip was worth it for that race alone and it
    was Longo that made the race.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  8. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > She has been at the top of the sport for over two decades.
    > You are correct, it takes more than just training to do
    > that. It takes drive and determination and more character
    > than any of us will ever know.
    >
    > I was at Hamilton last year with my 8 year old daughter.
    > The Womens race sucked, until Longo attacked on Beckett.
    > Before that there was some activity from Spain and some
    > really pointless stuff from the Americans but it was Longo
    > that threw some suspense into the race. We were sitting at
    > the top of Claremont watching the race on a handheld TV so
    > we knew she was coming by herself. When she passed there
    > was more life that I had seen in the crowd all day.
    >
    > After the field passed we watched the TV and talked about
    > Jeanne Longo. Who she was when she first started making a
    > name for herself at Worlds when dad was much younger. How
    > dad remembered watching her win an Olympic medal through
    > sheer power and fitness, just riding away from everyone
    > else. Who she still was, showing more class than anyone
    > else over the entire weekend.
    >
    > When she came over the last climb with just a few
    > kilometers left to the finish it was clear that it was
    > over for her. But we both watched the TV and were both
    > sorry to see her overtaken so close to the finish after
    > such a great effort.
    >
    > My daughter and I talked about the finish on the way back
    > to our hotel. The trip was worth it for that race alone
    > and it was Longo that made the race.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    I missed a chance to see Longo race a while back in my
    original hometown where I was born. This was actually
    unbelieveable for this little town! Shucks!

  9. > She is extremely dedicated and disciplined, good genes
    > definitely, lot of stamina, good lungs and heart,
    > arguably the greatest women cyclist of all time. In my
    > book, I rate them...
    >

    > 1. Jeannie Longo
    >
    > 2. Leontien Van Moorsel
    >
    > 3. Fabiana Luperini

    I won't argue Jeannie Longo for #1, but are we perhaps
    forgetting someone?

    http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/riders/berylb-
    urton.html

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  10. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > > She is extremely dedicated and disciplined, good genes
    > > definitely, lot
    of
    > > stamina, good lungs and heart, arguably the greatest
    > > women cyclist of
    all
    > > time. In my book, I rate them...
    > >

    > > 1. Jeannie Longo
    > >
    > > 2. Leontien Van Moorsel
    > >
    > > 3. Fabiana Luperini
    >
    > I won't argue Jeannie Longo for #1, but are we perhaps
    > forgetting someone?
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/riders/berylbur-
    > ton.html
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    True, but I didn't forget, but rather didn't know her or
    have much access to any news during those years so mostly
    what I learned was an after thought. The three I picked are
    ones that I could follow more over the years, and are
    clearly up there for the top three. Of course you could even
    pick a few others but I'll leave that to the imagination. I
    think Fabi is underated. She won 4 Giros and three TDF's in
    a row. Now that's impressive!

  11. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Sierraman wrote:
    > I think Fabi is
    > underated. She won
    > 4 Giros and three
    > TDF's in a row. Now
    > that's impressive!

    Agreed. I think it is so because she is not a real
    'character', which has nothing to do with cycling, to be
    sure.

    Sergio Pisa

  12. Ames

    Ames Guest

    It was incredible. We were sitting at the finish line
    watching on the big screen. I cringed when her legs died in
    the last 500 meters. Great, great race. I think she ended up
    fifth or sixth, around there.

  13. Tom Nakashima wrote:

    > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom

    I'd heard years back that she'd gotten involved in
    politics. Anyone know if she still is? Driven for sure,
    and though from what I've heard she'd never win a Miss
    Congeniality title, her drive would seem to be well
    suited to politics.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    Brooklyn, NY

  14. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:31:24 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> She is extremely dedicated and disciplined, good genes
    >> definitely, lot of stamina, good lungs and heart,
    >> arguably the greatest women cyclist of all time. In my
    >> book, I rate them...
    >>

    >> 1. Jeannie Longo
    >>
    >> 2. Leontien Van Moorsel
    >>
    >> 3. Fabiana Luperini
    >
    >I won't argue Jeannie Longo for #1, but are we perhaps
    >forgetting someone?
    >
    >http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/riders/berylbu-
    >rton.html

    If the Women's ITT had been around in those days BB would
    have won at least another dozen world champs.

    Regards! Stephen

  15. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tom Nakashima wrote:
    >
    > > I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo,
    > > pretty awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4"
    > > 103.5 lbs. Where does this petite cyclist get all her
    > > power? Training must only be part of it. -tom
    >
    > I'd heard years back that she'd gotten involved in
    > politics. Anyone know if she still is? Driven for
    > sure, and though from what I've heard she'd never win
    > a Miss Congeniality title, her drive would seem to be
    > well suited to politics.
    >
    > Steve

    Lately, it seems that all that's really required to be
    involved in politics is to be a chronic liar.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Q: Why did the metalhead cross the road?
    R: Because he's a gullible moron who'll buy
    anything with a skull on it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  16. Wort

    Wort Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:38:44 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was checking out a web site and saw Jeannie Longo, pretty
    >awesome cyclist. Hard to believe she's only 5'4" 103.5 lbs.
    >Where does this petite cyclist get all her power? Training
    >must only be part of it. -tom

    I was looking at a female national track team rider today at
    a race and my God, she needed a shave! On her face.