Jeanson On The Skids

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, May 28, 2004.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    From CyclingNews today:

    More testing controversy for Jeanson
    Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche Wallonne,
    round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson, who
    had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required for
    post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday that
    she simply forgot to turn up.

    "It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports. "It's a
    no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened in the
    morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life was
    over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

  2. On 05/28/2004 06:23 AM, in article
    [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > From CyclingNews today:
    >
    > More testing controversy for Jeanson
    > Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    > controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche Wallonne,
    > round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson, who
    > had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required for
    > post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday that
    > she simply forgot to turn up.
    >
    > "It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports. "It's a
    > no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened in the
    > morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life was
    > over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

    Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she juiced
    mid-race.

    They certainly wouldn't catch anything in a post-race piss test that they
    wouldn't get in a pre-race blood-and-piss test, unless she did juice on the
    fly.

    With the cloud currently over her head from "l'affaire quebecoise", leading
    to her taking a US license instead of a Canadian license, I'm thinking
    option A is more likely.

    Sucks for Geneviève ...

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BCDC8D4E.337B9%[email protected]
    > On 05/28/2004 06:23 AM, in article
    > [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > From CyclingNews today:
    > >
    > > More testing controversy for Jeanson
    > > Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    > > controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche Wallonne,
    > > round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson,

    who
    > > had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required for
    > > post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday

    that
    > > she simply forgot to turn up.
    > >
    > > "It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports. "It's

    > > no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened in

    the
    > > morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life was
    > > over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

    > Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she

    juiced
    > mid-race.
    >
    > They certainly wouldn't catch anything in a post-race piss test that they
    > wouldn't get in a pre-race blood-and-piss test, unless she did juice on

    the
    > fly.
    >
    > With the cloud currently over her head from "l'affaire quebecoise",

    leading
    > to her taking a US license instead of a Canadian license, I'm thinking
    > option A is more likely.
    >
    > Sucks for Geneviève ...

    Option a has certianly happened to other riders before, but not with great
    frequency. You would think that knowing that a failure to show up is a
    presumptive positive, she would make certain to appear. She had to know it
    would jepordize her ride in the Olympics. At worst she's doping, as other
    elite Canadian women have intimated, or she's a lot dumber than anyone ever
    thought. And where was God/Protector Andre Abut? Shouldn't he have made
    certain she made it to the drug testing protcol? Maybe he was out getting
    rid of the evidence or scoring more juice. Or am I too cynical. (Note to
    Tom, that's a rhetorical question)

  4. pedalchick

    pedalchick Guest

    Regardless of whether the skipped test was due to forgetfulness or
    intention, Jeanson should be suspended for failing to show, IMHBCO.
    Otherwise, what is the precedent that the UCI is setting if she gets off
    with a warning? If I were in a situation like hers, I would expect to be
    hounded constantly for dope tests and wouldn't leave any race without
    getting the OK from the officials. It's not like she's some nobody who
    got called for random. I understand that things at races aren't always
    well organized, and it's perfectly plausible that her responsibilities
    weren't clearly stated to her, and I think there is room for a light
    sentence if that's the case, but she should get something even if it's
    just a month. If she gets off with a warning, I think all racers should
    refuse to take their dope tests for one month in protest.

    --

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she

    > juiced
    >> mid-race.
    >>

    > Option a has certianly happened to other riders before, but not with great
    > frequency. You would think that knowing that a failure to show up is a
    > presumptive positive, she would make certain to appear. She had to know it
    > would jepordize her ride in the Olympics. At worst she's doping, as other
    > elite Canadian women have intimated, or she's a lot dumber than anyone ever
    > thought. And where was God/Protector Andre Abut? Shouldn't he have made
    > certain she made it to the drug testing protcol? Maybe he was out getting
    > rid of the evidence or scoring more juice. Or am I too cynical. (Note to
    > Tom, that's a rhetorical question)

    For option A to be true it means that a lot of people screwed up. She is
    there with support staff, Andre if no one else. Part if their/his
    responsibility is to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen. So I am
    having a lot of trouble believing A.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  6. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BCDC8D4E.337B9%[email protected]
    >
    >>On 05/28/2004 06:23 AM, in article
    >>[email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>From CyclingNews today:
    >>>
    >>>More testing controversy for Jeanson
    >>>Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    >>>controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche Wallonne,
    >>>round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson,

    > who
    >
    >>>had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required for
    >>>post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday

    > that
    >
    >>>she simply forgot to turn up.
    >>>
    >>>"It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports. "It's

    >>>no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened in

    > the
    >
    >>>morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life was
    >>>over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

    >>Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she

    > juiced
    >
    >>mid-race.
    >>
    >>They certainly wouldn't catch anything in a post-race piss test that they
    >>wouldn't get in a pre-race blood-and-piss test, unless she did juice on

    > the
    >
    >>fly.
    >>
    >>With the cloud currently over her head from "l'affaire quebecoise",

    > leading
    >
    >>to her taking a US license instead of a Canadian license, I'm thinking
    >>option A is more likely.
    >>
    >>Sucks for Geneviève ...

    > Option a has certianly happened to other riders before, but not with great
    > frequency. You would think that knowing that a failure to show up is a
    > presumptive positive, she would make certain to appear. She had to know it
    > would jepordize her ride in the Olympics. At worst she's doping, as other
    > elite Canadian women have intimated, or she's a lot dumber than anyone ever
    > thought. And where was God/Protector Andre Abut? Shouldn't he have made
    > certain she made it to the drug testing protcol? Maybe he was out getting
    > rid of the evidence or scoring more juice. Or am I too cynical. (Note to
    > Tom, that's a rhetorical question)

    So, option B, she juiced during the race knowing she would be tested
    afterwards and purposely didn't show up thinking they wouldn't care or
    notice?

  7. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "gym gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    > > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BCDC8D4E.337B9%[email protected]
    > >
    > >>On 05/28/2004 06:23 AM, in article
    > >>[email protected], "B. Lafferty"

    Wallonne,

    > > who

    for

    > > that

    "It's

    > > the

    was

    > >>Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she

    > > juiced
    > >
    > >>mid-race.
    > >>
    > >>They certainly wouldn't catch anything in a post-race piss test that

    they
    > >>wouldn't get in a pre-race blood-and-piss test, unless she did juice on

    > > the
    > >
    > >>fly.
    > >>
    > >>With the cloud currently over her head from "l'affaire quebecoise",

    > > leading
    > >
    > >>to her taking a US license instead of a Canadian license, I'm thinking
    > >>option A is more likely.
    > >>
    > >>Sucks for Geneviève ...

    > > Option a has certianly happened to other riders before, but not with

    great
    > > frequency. You would think that knowing that a failure to show up is a
    > > presumptive positive, she would make certain to appear. She had to know

    it
    > > would jepordize her ride in the Olympics. At worst she's doping, as

    other
    > > elite Canadian women have intimated, or she's a lot dumber than anyone

    ever
    > > thought. And where was God/Protector Andre Abut? Shouldn't he have made
    > > certain she made it to the drug testing protcol? Maybe he was out

    getting
    > > rid of the evidence or scoring more juice. Or am I too cynical. (Note

    > > Tom, that's a rhetorical question)
    > >

    > So, option B, she juiced during the race knowing she would be tested
    > afterwards and purposely didn't show up thinking they wouldn't care or
    > notice?

    Considering she was last years hero and this years zero, I take option B
    Dave

  8. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "gym gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    > > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BCDC8D4E.337B9%[email protected]
    > >
    > >>On 05/28/2004 06:23 AM, in article
    > >>[email protected], "B. Lafferty"

    Wallonne,

    > > who

    for

    > > that

    "It's

    > > the

    was

    > >>Which means that a) she truly screwed up and forgot to go, or b) she

    > > juiced
    > >
    > >>mid-race.
    > >>
    > >>They certainly wouldn't catch anything in a post-race piss test that

    they
    > >>wouldn't get in a pre-race blood-and-piss test, unless she did juice on

    > > the
    > >
    > >>fly.
    > >>
    > >>With the cloud currently over her head from "l'affaire quebecoise",

    > > leading
    > >
    > >>to her taking a US license instead of a Canadian license, I'm thinking
    > >>option A is more likely.
    > >>
    > >>Sucks for Geneviève ...

    > > Option a has certianly happened to other riders before, but not with

    great
    > > frequency. You would think that knowing that a failure to show up is a
    > > presumptive positive, she would make certain to appear. She had to know

    it
    > > would jepordize her ride in the Olympics. At worst she's doping, as

    other
    > > elite Canadian women have intimated, or she's a lot dumber than anyone

    ever
    > > thought. And where was God/Protector Andre Abut? Shouldn't he have made
    > > certain she made it to the drug testing protcol? Maybe he was out

    getting
    > > rid of the evidence or scoring more juice. Or am I too cynical. (Note

    > > Tom, that's a rhetorical question)
    > >

    > So, option B, she juiced during the race knowing she would be tested
    > afterwards and purposely didn't show up thinking they wouldn't care or
    > notice?

    Hmm.

    Pre-race blood tests: A sample at 49.5%, over the limit. B sample somehow at
    44.9%. (per cyclingnews)

    Post race no show. Probably because they'd have got both samples over the
    limit, and she thinks being suspended for failure to show for testing is
    better than being suspended for doping.

    Peter

  9. James Scott

    James Scott Guest

    Bob Schwartz wrote:

    > For option A to be true it means that a lot of people screwed up. She is
    > there with support staff, Andre if no one else. Part if their/his
    > responsibility is to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen. So I am
    > having a lot of trouble believing A.

    Well, you'd also think that TdF winners would have an entourage to make
    sure they show up on time for their prologue starts, but it doesn't
    always happen.

    JLS
    --
    James "Hey Pedro, where's that map?" Scott
    www.jls.cx

  10. On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:47:02 -0400, James Scott
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, you'd also think that TdF winners would have an entourage to make
    >sure they show up on time for their prologue starts, but it doesn't
    >always happen.

    Or team leaders show up for TT starts. Does Roche get a virtual TdF
    for this one?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  11. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    James Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bob Schwartz wrote:

    >> For option A to be true it means that a lot of people screwed up. She is
    >> there with support staff, Andre if no one else. Part if their/his
    >> responsibility is to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen. So I am
    >> having a lot of trouble believing A.

    > Well, you'd also think that TdF winners would have an entourage to make
    > sure they show up on time for their prologue starts, but it doesn't
    > always happen.

    That's true. But its pretty infrequent because 15 years ago that got
    added to the list of stuff support personnel have to do to keep their
    jobs. Also, it is probably a big reason that so many riders warm up near
    the start on trainers.

    So sure, option A could be true. But it seems pretty unlikely.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  12. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Regardless of whether the skipped test was due to forgetfulness or
    > > intention, Jeanson should be suspended for failing to show, IMHBCO.
    > > Otherwise, what is the precedent that the UCI is setting if she gets off
    > > with a warning? If I were in a situation like hers, I would expect to be
    > > hounded constantly for dope tests and wouldn't leave any race without
    > > getting the OK from the officials. It's not like she's some nobody who
    > > got called for random. I understand that things at races aren't always
    > > well organized, and it's perfectly plausible that her responsibilities
    > > weren't clearly stated to her, and I think there is room for a light
    > > sentence if that's the case, but she should get something even if it's
    > > just a month. If she gets off with a warning, I think all racers should
    > > refuse to take their dope tests for one month in protest.

    > What's going on with Jeanson? If you ask her, she might say, I don't know,
    > do you? Are the after effects of the worlds still haunting her? She's a
    > ghost this year.

    A cynic would say that the heightened scrutiny she's been subjected to since
    the Worlds has made it more difficult for her to juice. Has anyone seen a
    comment from Andre Abut?

  13. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "pedalchick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Regardless of whether the skipped test was due to forgetfulness or
    > intention, Jeanson should be suspended for failing to show, IMHBCO.
    > Otherwise, what is the precedent that the UCI is setting if she gets off
    > with a warning? If I were in a situation like hers, I would expect to be
    > hounded constantly for dope tests and wouldn't leave any race without
    > getting the OK from the officials. It's not like she's some nobody who
    > got called for random. I understand that things at races aren't always
    > well organized, and it's perfectly plausible that her responsibilities
    > weren't clearly stated to her, and I think there is room for a light
    > sentence if that's the case, but she should get something even if it's
    > just a month. If she gets off with a warning, I think all racers should
    > refuse to take their dope tests for one month in protest.

    What's going on with Jeanson? If you ask her, she might say, I don't know,
    do you? Are the after effects of the worlds still haunting her? She's a
    ghost this year.

  14. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    > [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > From CyclingNews today:
    > >
    > > More testing controversy for Jeanson
    > > Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    > > controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche Wallonne,
    > > round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson,

    who
    > > had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required for
    > > post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday

    that
    > > she simply forgot to turn up.
    > >
    > > "It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports. "It's

    > > no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened in

    the
    > > morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life was
    > > over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

    "Everything that had happened that morning" being a hematocrit reading of
    49.5%...negated by a B sample of <45%!! If that's a true reflection of how
    reproducible the UCI vampires' measurements normally are, then such testing
    is a total waste of everyone's time, not to mention being completely unfair
    to many an athlete.

    Andy Coggan (who has heard disquieting rumors about USADA procedures as
    well)

  15. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > > [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > From CyclingNews today:
    > > >
    > > > More testing controversy for Jeanson
    > > > Canadian cyclist Geneviève Jeanson is once again under a cloud of
    > > > controversy after missing a drug test after the women's Flèche

    Wallonne,
    > > > round 5 of the women's World Cup held in Belgium on April 21. Jeanson,

    > who
    > > > had blood and urine samples taken before the race, was also required

    for
    > > > post-race testing, but told a press conference in Montreal on Thursday

    > that
    > > > she simply forgot to turn up.
    > > >
    > > > "It was forgotten about, and it was my fault," she told CBCSports.

    "It's
    > > > no-no to say but I just didn't go. With everything that had happened

    in
    > the
    > > > morning it was too much. I thought I was finished. I thought my life

    was
    > > > over. I didn't understand. I passed a test a few days earlier."

    > "Everything that had happened that morning" being a hematocrit reading of
    > 49.5%...negated by a B sample of <45%!! If that's a true reflection of how
    > reproducible the UCI vampires' measurements normally are, then such

    testing
    > is a total waste of everyone's time, not to mention being completely

    unfair
    > to many an athlete.
    >
    > Andy Coggan (who has heard disquieting rumors about USADA procedures as
    > well)

    Of course, she isn't facing a sanction for the morning testing and was
    allowed to ride. Nice effort to spin the focus away from her failure to
    piss in the bottle.

    Do tell us the diquieting rumors.

  16. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: "Andy Coggan" [email protected]

    >"Everything that had happened that morning" being a hematocrit reading of
    >49.5%...negated by a B sample of <45%!! If that's a true reflection of how
    >reproducible the UCI vampires' measurements normally are, then such testing
    >is a total waste of everyone's time, not to mention being completely unfair
    >to many an athlete.
    >
    >Andy Coggan (who has heard disquieting rumors about USADA procedures as
    >well)

    Just because you happen to be competent and good at what you do doesn't mean
    you shouldn't have great sympathy and understanding for those good USADA folks
    who seem to be challenged in so many ways.
    Bill C

  17. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > >From: "Andy Coggan" [email protected]

    > >"Everything that had happened that morning" being a hematocrit reading of
    > >49.5%...negated by a B sample of <45%!! If that's a true reflection of

    how
    > >reproducible the UCI vampires' measurements normally are, then such

    testing
    > >is a total waste of everyone's time, not to mention being completely

    unfair
    > >to many an athlete.
    > >
    > >Andy Coggan (who has heard disquieting rumors about USADA procedures as
    > >well)

    > Just because you happen to be competent and good at what you do doesn't

    mean
    > you shouldn't have great sympathy and understanding for those good USADA

    folks
    > who seem to be challenged in so many ways.
    > Bill C

    It would still be nice if Andy shared those "diquieting rumors." Such
    things are a perfect fit here at rbr.