Jeanson wins. No comments?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Eddie Arzouian, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Eddie Arzouian

So Genevieve Jeanson wins both the Montreal Women's World Cup and the Canadian Nationals, something no Canadian woman has EVER done?

Do you still need more proof she is the best woman in CDN road racing?

All just further proof that if the CCA had not acted like fools, if they had shown Jeanson more faith and trust last year and selected her for the Olympics Canada would probably have another Olympic medal.

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do in Ottawa (or Regina, for that matter, eh, Bill???)

:cool:

Tags:

2. Catabolic_Jones

Catabolic_Jones New Member

I can't remark on Jeanson, but I was very pleased to see Erinne Willock come 2nd. Her dad runs my cycling club, and he's a fine fellow; I'm sure he's super chuffed at the moment.

3. Uboat

Uboat New Member

4. Eddie Arzouian

Dr. Duquette has not treated Jeanson in at least three, maybe, four seasons.

He certainly did not have anything to do with her this season. She won the Montreal World Cup and Nationals THIS year.

Old news, Uboat. Just more uninformed mudslinging from you.

5. Eddie Arzouian

So, Uboat, I'm still waiting to hear from you on how Dr. Duquette could have had any possible influence on Jeanson's wins at the Montreal Women's Road World Cup and Nationals in 2005?

Will you explain?

6. Uboat

Uboat New Member

Well Mr. Contrarian, I didn't say, and am not saying, it is Duquette who is advising her now. It's pretty simple stuff, taking vitamins. This was from last year, by the way, remember? And you should know that it's pretty hard to miss going to a drug test - it's announced in the car toward the finish of the race, and posted. But whatever, go ahead and tell me I'm stupid. Bye Ed.

Canadian Cyclist Receives Public Warning For First Doping Offense From U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
    Taken from Official press release USADA

Colorado Springs, Colorado. (June 14, 2004) - The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced Monday the decision by a three-member panel of the American Arbitration Association (AAA)/North American Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) arbitrators finding Geneviève Jeanson of Lachine, Quebec, an athlete in the sport of cycling, committed a doping violation.

Jeanson, 22, failed to appear for a doping control test at the request of the Union Cycliste International (UCI) following the La Flèche Wallonne in Liege, Belgium, on Apr. 21, 2004. She was tested by UCI prior to the start of the race, and the results were negative. Her case was adjudicated by USADA because she competes with a racing license issued by USA Cycling, the national governing body for the sport in the United States. Jeanson's negligence in failing to report is considered a first doping offense according to UCI rules, and results in a sanction.

A member of the 2000 Canadian Olympic team, Jeanson received a public warning and was fined 500 Swiss Francs.

7. Eddie Arzouian

What does missing a test have to do with Dr. Duquette who treated her two or three years before that? Why are you changing the topic?

There are a dozen reasons why she could have missed the test. I do not know all the circumstances. Did she finished the race? Was she at the finish when her team car was there? Was there a sign-out or only a sign-in? Did she just ride right to her hotel? Did she get into a vehicle after the race that did not have a radio? Did the team car miss the announcement due to a faulty radio? Was the announcement unclear?

The report you included also stated, "She was tested by UCI prior to the start of the race, and the results were negative. "

That's good enough for me.

What does any of that have to do with the Montreal World Cup(s) and Nationals where she was tested and there no problems whatsoever?

8. Uboat

Uboat New Member

Yeah, I guess you're right. She IS clean.

Sorry Ed, I was wrong. You're right.

9. Eddie Arzouian

More witchhunts.

This from CC sounds very strange:
    "- Jeanson's positive came after the Prologue of the Tour de Toona, but a subsequent test 60 hours later turned up negative. The first test (both A and B samples) showed extremely high levels of EPO and the second none, which Jeanson's defense argued was impossible."

How could it be so high one day and have nothing less than three days later? EPO is NOT an amphetamine-type drug that is elimnaited in a day or so...

I fidn it hard to beleive that Jeanosn and her people would keep making the same mistake over and over again.

The whole story seems strange.

Not sure why you seem to be gloating. This is terrible for Canadian cycling. That makes you happy?

10. Jon Jonson

Jon Jonson New Member

Hey Ed.

Assuming you agree that PED-enhanced wins amount to fraudulence, I'm curious to know what it would take for you to acknowledge that the sport is by and large corrupt.

Also, do you really believe that GJ is innocent? I mean, c'mon...

11. Eddie Arzouian

I do not know what to think of Jeanson.

She is either the dumbest rider in the sport or the most unlucky.

As for the sport itself, it is a PRO sport. However, it is tested like an amateur sport. No other pro sport in the world tests its athletes as cycling does.

The drug problem in sports is no worse than in society in general.

I'm for free choice. If a rider wants to risk his life even more than he/she does on regular basis every time they clip their shoes in for a race then that is up to him/her. If a rider wants to risk having an autistic or deformed child later in life, that's up to him/her.

I really do not care.

WADA is killing sport in general, not helping it.

Have you organized a top level internatonal sporting event lately? It is an expensive logisitcal nightmare catering to all the whims and fancies of the friggin' doping officials. It is all a racket. Many people are making a lot of money from it.

12. Jon Jonson

Jon Jonson New Member

i'm trying to understand your point, but i don't see a connection between recreational drug use and drug use in cycling. sure, wada may be just as opportunistic as the drug cheats, but they're merely trying to enforce a set of rules that all participants claim to agree with when entering the realm of pro sports.

the difference being that recreational drug users have a choice. a successful lawyer won't be held back by choosing not to use epo, cocaine, etc.

no, i haven't organised a big race recently. i never have. nor have i dedicated ten years of my life to a sport only to be told that i need to use epo in order to take the next step.

13. Eddie Arzouian

Nobody HAS to take EPO.

I'm not just talking about recreational drug use, I'm talking about how we have a culture of a pill for every ache and pain, every malaise, every over-indulgence.

Eat too much take a Zantac. Don't change your diet or exercise for your high cholestrol take a Zyrtec or whatever.

But do not take anything if you are a pro cyclist riding 200kms every day.

14. Jon Jonson

Jon Jonson New Member

I see your point.

I've always thought that pro riding (i.e. multiple 200 km - plus stages) was almost as unhealthy as being overweight.

Maybe the answer to the pharmaceutical influence in sports is to shorten the length of races.

15. Eddie Arzouian

Sure, you should probably limit the difficulty of climbs, too. Reduce the peloton sizes. Restrict the gearing. And place a speed limit as well.

Oh, and make sure the guys don't race too often and only in nice weather.

Make the training wheels optional, though.

16. Eddie Arzouian

JJ's 2007 Pro Cycling Season

Milan almost to San Remo

Paris to near Roubaix

Amstel gold-plated only Race

The Tour de most of France

Quebec - Contrecoeur

The Partial Tour of Flanders

Mini Tour Midi Libres

Paris - just short of Tours

Liege- Bastonge-Bastonge

Demi Giro D'Italia

17. Jon Jonson

Jon Jonson New Member

Maybe I'll have a chance!

18. Uboat

Uboat New Member

19. Uboat

Uboat New Member

20. Eddie Arzouian

Yes.

And what will be served by it all?

Lives will be ruined.

Careers wrecked.

Dick Pound will prune a little with pride.

The labs will make more money.

Sport will not be one bit better off. It will not level any playing fields.

Just one more useless, unproductive and unsuccessful "War on Drugs".