Jeep Rubicon Sport...



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J. Slater

Guest
I don't know what to think about this latest round of automaker branded bikes (Hummer, Land Rover,
Jeep, etc.) but the Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of equipment for the price...

I am looking for a new bike and prefer DH rigs for their strength. Climbing efficiently isn't much
of a concern for me since I have tree-trunks for legs.

Would any of you even consider this bike at this price? Or what should I look at instead? I know
nothing of it's warranty and am waiting for emails on this to be answered. Here's a convenient link:

http://www.crazyjeepstuff.com/jeep_mountain_bikes?b=1

Oh, and notice the "classic" models, what do they remind you of? (I'm thinking Giant NSR's).
 
S

Stephen Baker

Guest
J Slater says:

>I don't know what to think about this latest round of automaker branded bikes (Hummer, Land Rover,
>Jeep, etc.) but the Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of equipment for the price..

Yes, but it only has 7 "alloys" in the spec list, and for that price there should be a LOT more. ;-)
The components lists is kind of a mixed bag. Why use XTR derailleurs and Suntour cranks? Why spec
XTR stuff and then have no-name stem, bars, rims, hubs (and "axels")? Weight is listed as "N/A",
when I seem to remember it as about 55 lbs (75? - somewhere up there)

I would be wary of the beast until you have ridden one. Personally.

Steve - but if it fits and you like it, that is _the_ most important thing.
 
J

J. Slater

Guest
Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon was listed as 40 pounds.
I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when did
Monroe make things for bikes?

Steve, what bike would you recommend for $1150 and under?

I was thinking of looking hard at this Haro Extreme 3.0. Link:
http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html

"Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> J Slater says:
>
> >I don't know what to think about this latest round of automaker branded bikes (Hummer, Land
> >Rover, Jeep, etc.) but the Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of equipment for the price..
>
> Yes, but it only has 7 "alloys" in the spec list, and for that price there should be a LOT more.
> ;-) The components lists is kind of a mixed bag. Why use XTR derailleurs and Suntour cranks? Why
> spec XTR stuff and then have no-name stem, bars,
rims,
> hubs (and "axels")? Weight is listed as "N/A", when I seem to remember it as about 55 lbs
(75? -
> somewhere up there)
>
> I would be wary of the beast until you have ridden one. Personally.
>
> Steve - but if it fits and you like it, that is _the_ most important
thing.
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
J. Slater thoughtfully penned:
> Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon was listed as 40 pounds.
> I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when
> did Monroe make things for bikes?
>
> Steve, what bike would you recommend for $1150 and under?
>
> I was thinking of looking hard at this Haro Extreme 3.0. Link:
> http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
>

a hard tail.

Penny
 
F

Fred Hinkson

Guest
I was on the last few miles before home. See I rode 8 miles to trailhead ,10 miles dirt ,and 8 miles
to home. I see these two monster DHers coming at me on the Goldstar bridge. I stopped to talk with
them they were pedaling to the LBS some 6 mile to go. One was a Dale J other a Santa Cruz Bulit with
this monster swingarm and a Bomber fork that needed to be on a motorcycle. The Santa Cruz rider was
bitching about the up hill ride of the bridge. Well you get to the half way point of the bridge it
all down hill from there on most of trip. Thats a 45 lbs bike you got to pedal . DH great but up
hill no way stick to XC.

MTB Ride hard die free.
 
J

J. Slater

Guest
"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> J. Slater thoughtfully penned:
> > Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon was listed as 40 pounds.
> > I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when
> > did Monroe make things for bikes?
> >
> > Steve, what bike would you recommend for $1150 and under?
> >
> > I was thinking of looking hard at this Haro Extreme 3.0. Link:
> > http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
> >
>
> a hard tail.
>
> Penny
>
>

I definitely prefer my women with this attribute, but when it comes to a bike, I like dual
suspension to protect my TB. ;)
 
T

Technician

Guest
In article <u6Oya.1653$%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > J. Slater thoughtfully penned:
> > > Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon was listed as 40
> > > pounds. I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded suspension.
> > > Since when did Monroe make things for bikes?
> > >
> > > Steve, what bike would you recommend for $1150 and under?
> > >
> > > I was thinking of looking hard at this Haro Extreme 3.0. Link:
> > > http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ex3.html
> > >
> >
> > a hard tail.
> >
> > Penny
> >
> >
>
> I definitely prefer my women with this attribute, but when it comes to a bike, I like dual
> suspension to protect my TB. ;)
>
>
>

That's what a good seat and possibly padded shorts are for. the later of which you will need when
Penny comes over and gives you a swift kick in the butt.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
 
J

Jd

Guest
"J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<c2Mya.1622$%[email protected]>...
> I don't know what to think about this latest round of automaker branded bikes (Hummer, Land Rover,
> Jeep, etc.) but the Jeep Rubicon Sport has an impressive list of equipment for the price...
>
> I am looking for a new bike and prefer DH rigs for their strength. Climbing efficiently isn't much
> of a concern for me since I have tree-trunks for legs.
>
> Would any of you even consider this bike at this price? Or what should I look at instead? I
> know nothing of it's warranty and am waiting for emails on this to be answered. Here's a
> convenient link:
>
> http://www.crazyjeepstuff.com/jeep_mountain_bikes?b=1
>
>
> Oh, and notice the "classic" models, what do they remind you of? (I'm thinking Giant NSR's).

A bowel movement would work better...wait a minute, that is a bowel movement.

JD
 
D

Dave Stocker

Guest
"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:...
> "J. Slater" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:pmNya.1648$%[email protected]...
> > Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon
> was
> > listed as 40 pounds. I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder
about
> > the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when did Monroe make things for bikes?
>
> This is called brand leveraging...
>
>
>
> Monroe is not in the bike suspension biz. Neither is Rancho. I saw
another
> Jeep bike with a "Rancho" (180mm) fork. I did a bit of googling on this. The suspension stuff is
> rebranded DNM. Methinks that Jeep bikes are aimed at first time MTB buyers and this usage of
> Monroe and Rancho is to allude
to
> a "quality" brand that people already know. Joe Sixpack does not know who Fox or Marzochi or
> Manitou is. The SUV references just reinforce this.
>
>
>
> The XTR stuff is 2002 (or earlier), so I think a product manager scored
some
> cheap componetry sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The DNM stuff is also
el
> cheapo. Added up, it is a lot of junk for a hefty price.
>
>
>
> These Jeep bikes actually bother me. They are sold in the same places and Huffys and WalGooses.
> The other two pretend to nothing more than they
are,
> but this Jeep pretends to be a real bike. I wonder if Jeep realizes that the bikes with its name
> invite derision and thus reduce the value of
"Jeep"?
>
>
>
> Actually, one of the Rubicons might be ok. It is simply a re-stickered Christini. This is assuming
> of course that the whole Christini concept is worth anything.
>
> My 0.02$ -Dave
>

Actually, I have also seen this "Brand Leveraging" bit with Honda and Smith and Wesson. Same deal as
with Jeep: they rented out the name. I got a good laugh from the S&W "Tactical Bike". At least that
was a reasonably well outfitted hardtail for the price. It was obviously aimed at the police market.

My question is, do people actually buy these bikes?

-Dave
 
D

Dave Stocker

Guest
"J. Slater" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:pmNya.1648$%[email protected]...
> Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon
was
> listed as 40 pounds. I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded
> suspension. Since when did Monroe make things for bikes?

This is called brand leveraging...

Monroe is not in the bike suspension biz. Neither is Rancho. I saw another Jeep bike with a "Rancho"
(180mm) fork. I did a bit of googling on this. The suspension stuff is rebranded DNM. Methinks that
Jeep bikes are aimed at first time MTB buyers and this usage of Monroe and Rancho is to allude to a
"quality" brand that people already know. Joe Sixpack does not know who Fox or Marzochi or Manitou
is. The SUV references just reinforce this.

The XTR stuff is 2002 (or earlier), so I think a product manager scored some cheap componetry
sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The DNM stuff is also el cheapo. Added up, it is a lot of junk for
a hefty price.

These Jeep bikes actually bother me. They are sold in the same places and Huffys and WalGooses. The
other two pretend to nothing more than they are, but this Jeep pretends to be a real bike. I wonder
if Jeep realizes that the bikes with its name invite derision and thus reduce the value of "Jeep"?

Actually, one of the Rubicons might be ok. It is simply a re-stickered Christini. This is assuming
of course that the whole Christini concept is worth anything.

My 0.02$ -Dave
 
D

Dave Stocker

Guest
"J. Slater" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:pmNya.1648$%[email protected]...
> Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon
was
> listed as 40 pounds. I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded
> suspension. Since when did Monroe make things for bikes?

This is called brand leveraging...

Monroe is not in the bike suspension biz. Neither is Rancho. I saw another Jeep bike with a "Rancho"
(180mm) fork. I did a bit of googling on this. The suspension stuff is rebranded DNM. Methinks that
Jeep bikes are aimed at first time MTB buyers and this usage of Monroe and Rancho is to allude to a
"quality" brand that people already know. Joe Sixpack does not know who Fox or Marzochi or Manitou
is. The SUV references just reinforce this.

The XTR stuff is 2002 (or earlier), so I think a product manager scored some cheap componetry
sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The DNM stuff is also el cheapo. Added up, it is a lot of junk for
a hefty price.

These Jeep bikes actually bother me. They are sold in the same places and Huffys and WalGooses. The
other two pretend to nothing more than they are, but this Jeep pretends to be a real bike. I wonder
if Jeep realizes that the bikes with its name invite derision and thus reduce the value of "Jeep"?

Actually, one of the Rubicons might be ok. It is simply a re-stickered Christini. This is assuming
of course that the whole Christini concept is worth anything.

My 0.02? -Dave
 
S

Superslinky

Guest
J. Slater said...

> Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon was listed as 40 pounds.
> I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder about the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when
> did Monroe make things for bikes?
>
> Steve, what bike would you recommend for $1150 and under?

If you are a DIY kind of guy, consider the Ibex Apogee LX. It should use up all but about $20 of
your $1150. I have an Apogee XT. They are only available direct from the distributor, hence the
comparatively low price. They have a nice component list and are all around very nice bikes.
However, you don't get local service or support, nor the gratitude of the LBS for buying a big
ticket item.
 
P

Piratelord®

Guest
Which Rubicon is a Christini? As far as I am aware there are only 2, the Sport and the AWD.

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "J. Slater" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:pmNya.1648$%[email protected]...
> > Thanks for the pointers. I found a site where the weight of the Rubicon
> was
> > listed as 40 pounds. I'll see if I can find it again. I also wonder
about
> > the "Monroe" branded suspension. Since when did Monroe make things for bikes?
>
> This is called brand leveraging...
>
>
> Monroe is not in the bike suspension biz. Neither is Rancho. I saw
another
> Jeep bike with a "Rancho" (180mm) fork. I did a bit of googling on this. The suspension stuff is
> rebranded DNM. Methinks that Jeep bikes are aimed at first time MTB buyers and this usage of
> Monroe and Rancho is to allude
to
> a "quality" brand that people already know. Joe Sixpack does not know who Fox or Marzochi or
> Manitou is. The SUV references just reinforce this.
>
>
> The XTR stuff is 2002 (or earlier), so I think a product manager scored
some
> cheap componetry sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The DNM stuff is also
el
> cheapo. Added up, it is a lot of junk for a hefty price.
>
>
> These Jeep bikes actually bother me. They are sold in the same places and Huffys and WalGooses.
> The other two pretend to nothing more than they
are,
> but this Jeep pretends to be a real bike. I wonder if Jeep realizes that the bikes with its name
> invite derision and thus reduce the value of
"Jeep"?
>
>
> Actually, one of the Rubicons might be ok. It is simply a re-stickered Christini. This is assuming
> of course that the whole Christini concept is worth anything.
>
> My 0.02$ -Dave
>
 
J

John Santos

Guest
The Jeep Rubicon AWD is the Christini. It was featured in MBA (yes, I read corporate ****)
some time ago.

I've seen too many of this kind of **** lying around. Canadian Tire Supercycles with double crown
"downhill suspension forks" are all too abundant.

It'd be interesting to see someone try dh'ing with a Wallgoose "downhill dual-suspension mountain
bike" - they'd make a shitload of money after the POS fork breaks in half in the first five seconds.
 
C

Chris Phillipo

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> The Jeep Rubicon AWD is the Christini. It was featured in MBA (yes, I read corporate ****) some
> time ago.
>
> I've seen too many of this kind of **** lying around. Canadian Tire Supercycles with double crown
> "downhill suspension forks" are all too abundant.
>
> It'd be interesting to see someone try dh'ing with a Wallgoose "downhill dual-suspension mountain
> bike" - they'd make a shitload of money after the POS fork breaks in half in the first five
> seconds.
>
>
>

I believe in the most recent Canadian tire commercial featuring Shwinn bikes the sales droid
actually says to the mother "This bike will go down any hill." Then it shoes her kid actually about
to do that. Nasty.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

M
Replies
1
Views
606
Mountain Bikes
Craig Brossman
C