jeepers!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    rolling back thru Hurstbridge this morning on BR(95?) see dad and a couple of kids ridng up the main street in opposite direction. smile and wave.
    then another family. and another!. and then zillions. A steady flow with police escort/marshalling at roundabouts/behind.
    at a guess maybe anywhere from 500-1500 riders (crap at numbers).

    lots of smiling kids (altho some riding all over the shop/road :rolleyes: )

    All organised by the new NillumBUG and Peter Brock Foundation toward the campaign for bike path to Hurstbridge

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    We went out for a social ride via Richmond with the Finbar Neighbourhood House crew, heaps of families & young ones out on Yarra Trail & Gardiners Creek. Good to observe, pity though about the slightly cruddy weather. :eek:

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-04-09, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > rolling back thru Hurstbridge this morning on BR(95?) see dad and a

    BR(94).

    Gags also made an appearance on the BR today. Bloody beeping hoons :)

    > couple of kids ridng up the main street in opposite direction. smile
    > and wave.
    > then another family. and another!. and then zillions. A steady flow
    > with police escort/marshalling at roundabouts/behind.
    > at a guess maybe anywhere from 500-1500 riders (crap at numbers).
    >
    > lots of smiling kids (altho some riding all over the shop/road
    >:rolleyes: )

    Lots more along the boulavard, then lots more all over bridge road and
    surrounds. It's all good.

    Had my grandma nap; now about to head out to the celluloidcycles
    flims. Nyer nyer, I got a ticket before they all sold out :)

    --
    TimC
    Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic

  4. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > rolling back thru Hurstbridge this morning on BR(95?) see dad and a
    > couple of kids ridng up the main street in opposite direction. smile
    > and wave.
    > then another family. and another!. and then zillions. A steady flow
    > with police escort/marshalling at roundabouts/behind.
    > at a guess maybe anywhere from 500-1500 riders (crap at numbers).
    >
    > lots of smiling kids (altho some riding all over the shop/road
    > :rolleyes: )
    >
    > All organised by the new NillumBUG and Peter Brock Foundation toward
    > the campaign for bike path to Hurstbridge

    Any idea how they organised the event? Was it advertised through the
    media? Letterboxing? Word of mouth?

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    not sure. at a guess fairly locally, thru schools etc. possibly 60% of the riders were kids. "Nevaar before. hav sooo many streamers/baskets ridden so much and owed so much by so few" or something... :rolleyes:

  6. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > >
    > > Any idea how they organised the event? Was it advertised through the
    > > media? Letterboxing? Word of mouth?

    > not sure. at a guess fairly locally, thru schools etc. possibly 60% of
    > the riders were kids. "Nevaar before. hav sooo many streamers/baskets
    > ridden so much and owed so much by so few" or something... :rolleyes:

    Thanks Dutchy. I hadn't thought about schools as a source of activists.
    Did you see anything in the media about the event? Was it the Peter
    Brock Foundation like? Do they support community activism?

    Nothing wrong with streamers. As a struggling young student (read full
    time bicycle campaigner) they were the only type of speed measuring
    device I could afford.

    Does BV provide any financial or logistical support for BUGs to organise
    demonstrations things like this?

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Currently (elsewhere) there is a loosely themed discussion concerning this issue. Insurance mainly.

  9. cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum Wrote:
    > >
    > > Does BV provide any financial or logistical support for BUGs to
    > > organise
    > > demonstrations things like this?
    > >

    > Currently (elsewhere) there is a loosely themed discussion concerning
    > this issue. Insurance mainly.

    Thanks Chris
    I wonder about insurance and liability sometimes and whether it is just
    an excuse used to stifle people's enthusiasm.

    There must be a way to put a firewall between one part of an
    organisation and another so that the activist part can do things without
    endagering the assets of the other parts. I'm sure that Patrick
    Stevedores would have a few ideas on how to do that.

    A few years ago the local council tried to stop us holding a rally
    outside the council chambers on the grounds that we didn't have any
    insurance. The organisation had only been formed a week earlier so we
    were lucky to have a name, let alone office bearers or insurance.
    Eventually they backed down and we also found that Qld law now protects
    people's rights to hold public rallies for political purposes. The law
    does not say that lack of insurance is a reasonable ground for refusing
    permission to hold a rally.

    So BV could have a section ("BVActivism Trust No. 1" for instance) that
    rents a number of stop/go signs, route markers, a photocopier and paper,
    a fax machine, phone line and an office from another BV entity at a
    nominal rate. It assists activists while the other parts go about
    generating revenue.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  10. cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > not sure. at a guess fairly locally, thru schools etc. possibly 60% of
    > > the riders were kids. "Nevaar before. hav sooo many streamers/baskets
    > > ridden so much and owed so much by so few" or something... :rolleyes:

    > More here from NillumBUG & Peter Brock Foundation.
    > http://www.nillumbug.ellis.net.au/
    >
    > Big Bike Ride Great Success
    > http://tinyurl.com/nbgfr

    Thanks. I'll write to them.