Jeez what is Lemond's hard on!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by hpearson, Jul 21, 2010.

1. hpearson

hpearson Banned

Hey, I like Lance but I do think the evidence is mounting and its not good. We will know next week after the judge looks at the evidence. As far as I am concerned this is no fault of the riders but the lack of effective testing and investigation. 500 test and not a positive. That is an indictment of WADA, UCI and others. What a joke. They need to get control of this thing.

Having said that Greg Lemond is a massive tool, a 3rd grader with a bad temper. Like some many savants that are singular in focus he never developed any maturity. He is a whiner, jealous, self absorbed and insecure. Its pathetic and man of his accomplishment and stature acting this way, relishing his role in seeing a peer fall and claiming it is for the good of cycling and he is doing an honorable thing.

I agree if he has knowledge he should cooperate but coming out prior in the papers and waging this war of public opinion is bad for millions with cancer, cycling, Lance's family and Lamond himself.

Before it is all over cycling will have turned their back completely on Lamond. It is a shame. He could have been an icon, and inspiration, beloved like Mercxx.

Instead he is just some jealous kid on a witch hunt. He will be known as the guy that helped bring down Lance Armstrong and world icon not for all the miraculous things he did!!! Whatta waste

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Just to clarify, are you saying some may be doping but it's not their fault because of bad testing procedures or that they are not and the testing is showing false positives and or bad investigation?

3. hpearson

hpearson Banned

The first.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

I knew this sort of sentiment was going to surface. Suprised it took this long for someone to attack "the messenger".
    I'm ambivalent wrt LA - don't like or dislike him. As such, politics don't cloud my judgement.
    If it's found that LA has been perpetrating a fraud, it's of his own doing - he made his bed. Let him crash, burn, and be disgraced like so many others who've been busted...

5. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Lemond, not Lamond. you on drugs? :)

6. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

There's over a decade of history between LeMond and Armstrong that goes way beyond just a personal he said/she said deal. LeMond has every right to say what he feels is correct, just as Lance does but it's got to the point where this media wrangling is getting old and it really is time for both dogs to have their day in court.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yep, it's been going for a while accusations, lawsuits, small animals getting raped and mutilated.
    I threw in that last part to liven it up since the whole thing is old.

8. gtm

gtm New Member

Lemond is a true American cycling hero. It would have been much easier for him to rest on his laurels & live a quiet, prosperous life. Instead he quite rightly tried to do something about doping which he recognised was slowly destroying his sport. He's made life very difficult for himself by doing this - ie exposing himself to the 'might' of the Armstrong PR and dirty tricks machine.

I wish there were more like Greg Lemond.

9. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i hate to be the one to say this but i agree, if all of these allegations are found to be true then so be it, no one is above common decency let alone the law, federal or independent as in icu, which pretty much can be bought and sold at will if you have the money. i guess we'll find out if that is the case with Lance soon enough.

10. hpearson

hpearson Banned

I agree with TonZack dont get me wrong, If LA is guilty then he needs to be dealt with in a severe manor in and out of court and I think we all see the tragic end in sight for Lance and many others.

That is not my point. My point is why is Lemond leading the charge, relishing the day in court, so elated to see Lance or anyone for that matter fall from grace. Greg is openly talking to the press and trying to throw as much mud on this as possible. Why is he not satisfied with the facts? Why cant he act with a little class as the elder statesmen here. I have written many times of the horrific hypocrisy of LA if this is true. I hold no quarter for Lance but Greg needs to step back and let justice do its thing.

Your right there will be a backlash and Greg is the one that will be caught in the cross hairs of it. He is just plan stupid to continue this petty fight. No one will be holding up Lamond after this is over as the savior of the sport, they wont remember the 3 tours or the world championship as much as they will remember for the foreseeable future the active role in dragging down an American and world icon for something other than justice and fair play.

If I were Greg I would be morose over the impact that all this has on the sport, America cycling, and his legacy. He should at least be somewhat morose over the fact that those who believed in the cancer fight Lance is leading will be let down and his family and kids will live with "Dad is a cheat: for the rest of there lives"

Instead he can hardly wait to get into court to get even at any cost even as he tarnishing his own image. He needs to testify and wipe the damn smile off his face.

It is a question of where Greg's heart is and it is not in the right place!

His position should be " I regret having to do this but do it I must cause it is the right thing and I feel for all those that my testimony will impact, the Livestrong community, Lances family and the sport of cycling that I dearly love."

Then he can claim to be the advocate and statesman of the sport he claims to be. Then he can be a true American cycling hero.

I can assure you had Greg been involved in the sport a little later his extreme competitive nature would of had him doping like everyone else.

He does not need to be so high and mighty. Not much different than Lance if you ask me

PS for those not interested in this topic no need to read or reply. Neve understood that.

11. gtm

gtm New Member

Lemond could have taken EPO if he'd wanted to. It was used in the Peleton during his career. He won the Tour in '89 (post shot gun blast) & '90 & within a few years found himself being creamed by drug fuel no bodies. He could have 'got on the program' if he'd wanted.

12. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

it's kind of obvious why Lemond is doing this, he supposedly never doped and believes that he is the only one worth paying attention to as far as consecutive Tour wins go as there is no fall from grace for the rest of them e.g. Lance Armstrong because they doped and so they shouldn't have won those tours to begin with.

i just want to know how Lance can be tested so, so many times, at home on many occasions at that as in on his way out the door to take his wife to the hospital to deliver their twins but absolutely had to comply with taking tests at that very moment or he would be disqualified, and never have one positive test.

either he has a superhuman immune and digestive sytem that fooled the world, he's paid off hundereds and hundreds of people and it's all the world's greatest and lengthiest conspiracy theory or he hasn't doped.

13. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Trek lawsuit that cost Greg an awful lot of money simply because he was telling the truth. Pretty good summary here: Greg LeMond's lawsuit against Trek is about more than broken promises - it's about Lance, too

Stuff like that can make it hard to simply turn a blind eye and hope justice is served. As someone else pointed out there's an awful lot of history between Greg and Lance...

14. mrfrogger

mrfrogger New Member

One wouldn't know that such a person existed from reading this forum.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lance stay one step ahead of the sheriff and retire with uncharacteristic humility. It's hard not to think that his and the team's performance hasn't been heavily affected by Floydgate.

Edit: As for Greg, sadly his zeal does him no favours whatever you believe the truth to be.

15. hpearson

hpearson Banned

"Stuff like that can make it hard to simply turn a blind eye and hope justice is served. As someone else pointed out there's an awful lot of history between Greg and Lance..."

Lemond is bringing a knife to a gun fight. It appears Trek is handing him him ass in the lawsuit yet he wont give it up. Sounds like the lawyers are the only ones making out here.

Guilty or not a huge portion of the millions of fans Armstrong will turn on Greg for way he is attacking and he will have to fight that for a long period of time.

Lemond is an emotional mess. I have seen him in press conferences where he literally will not let something go. There may be bad blood but Lemond is the only on exercising a vendetta publically. LA position to stay out of it is the high road. There is no upside to him attacking Lemond, only downside. Lemond can't seem to realize the same.

You didnt see Hank Aaron waging war in the streets against Barry Bonds and for my money Hank is all the better for it. He showed up shook Barry's hand like a man, knowing he is and will probably always be the home run champ. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that. Anyone who believes otherwise Hank doesn't care about.

Shut up Greg! Take a shot of humility and go in and testify stating what a tragic dilemma the whole thing is.

Try on a little class, who knows you may even like it! Your a champion, starting acting like one!!!

16. hpearson

hpearson Banned

Roadhouse:

My point exactly. How can you test a guy 500 times and come up with a goose egg and then have him convicted by testimony.

Either he is innocent or WADA and the UCI needs to get their head out of the ass. I have read all the testimony from Lloyd and see nothing about the master mind in hiding doping or they LA and team had discovered how to how to fool the tests. Just that LA was using.

If so I need to know how he fooled the tests and how he advised others to fool the test. That would be credible. Alls we have heard is that he handed Floyd 20 testosterone patches.

How do you aviod the positive test?

17. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

first things first: as for trek handing him his ass in the court case, not exactly true. trek and their lawyers made haste to get a settlement (with gag order[?]) hammered out when the judge in minneapolis ruled that all the stuff about armstrong was pertinent to the case and was going to allow its admission. not saying it's conclusive that armstrong/his career path was one of trek's weakest points or that lemond didn't have a setback or two in the case, but you may draw your own conclusions.

and two: hank aaron may have been there, but from what i've read in one or two places, mr. aaron is more than a bit suspicious of bonds jump from doubles/triples hitter to home run hitter and his congratulations lukewarm. fine point is hank aaron does not believe that bonds accomplished his feats without help, but, short of definitive proof, he wasn't going to p!ss on the parade.

conclusions: both aaron and lemond believe what they believe based on what they know and have heard. i'm willing to bet their inside information is a tad bit better than what you or i have access to.

18. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I still want to know what brand of super go faster, assimilated by the body nearly instantanously, without regard to ferritin and iron levels, form of iron and B12 LeMond had stabbed in his backside during the 89 Giro...

19. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i've heard and read about much more than testosterone patches and that's the million dollar question, how could he avoid the positives? outside of that, here's one of many articles with the supposed insiders view from Landis with many, many direct accusations of the going ons of team phonak and discovery/postal and Lance and company leading into this investigation. you can actually find the e-mails that Floyd has sent out too, Lance had them made public and criticized them.

Floyd Landis admits to using PEDs most of his career - ESPN

20. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Still trying to sell the same old lies...