Jennair smooth top cartridge received

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used ebay
    purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy to have
    this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I have nothing
    to guage whether this is a 'norm.'

    After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no notification
    that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday with no reponse.
    A call to the post office re tracking revealed no further clarification.
    Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they had just received it. We
    received from the seller a response Wednesday while we were away from home
    that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday or Saturday as we expected. This
    time was not an inconvience except that we worried that it had been shipped.

    So, here is a picture of our package and smoothtop.
    http://tinypic.com/rkmwxu.jpg
    http://tinypic.com/rkmvde.jpg

    HAhaHAhaHA! I was worried that it would look too new for my range -- it
    matches my range! I'm not throwing out my coils!
    But -- IT WORKS! One time use this morning for oatmeal. The rest of
    cooking today was

    OB: Chuckroast and vegetables in Slow-Cooker, Hydroponic Boston Lettuce with
    Dressing made from 3 oils, Olive, Coconut & a drop of dark sesame and lemon.

    Snacks during the day were the Milton's bread that poster suggested when I
    said that Milton's crackers were great; I bought some yesterday at Costco--
    I made toast and had it with some Kaesri cheese bought at the Turkish
    market -- imported from Instanbul. Tasted like Poly-O Mozzarella in block
    form. Nothing really special at all. And some of TJ's 3-bean salad
    (canned).

    Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day.
    Dee Dee

    Tags:

  2. On Thu 16 Mar 2006 09:44:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used
    > ebay purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy
    > to have this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I
    > have nothing to guage whether this is a 'norm.'

    There is no 'norm'.

    > After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    > USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    > recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no
    > notification that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday
    > with no reponse. A call to the post office re tracking revealed no
    > further clarification. Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they
    > had just received it. We received from the seller a response Wednesday
    > while we were away from home that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday
    > or Saturday as we expected. This time was not an inconvience except
    > that we worried that it had been shipped.

    If you trade more on eBay you will learn that performance of the seller
    varies widely, both in accuracy of merchandise as well as packing and
    shipping.

    Generally, I have had very good results over the years, but have also had a
    couple of items arrive in bits and pieces. If a purchase any measureable
    value at all, it's best to always have insurance.

    > So, here is a picture of our package and smoothtop.
    > http://tinypic.com/rkmwxu.jpg
    > http://tinypic.com/rkmvde.jpg
    >
    > HAhaHAhaHA! I was worried that it would look too new for my range -- it
    > matches my range! I'm not throwing out my coils!
    > But -- IT WORKS! One time use this morning for oatmeal. The rest of
    > cooking today was

    It looks a bit marred. Is it? Did it match with the photo the seller
    published on eBay? Glad it's working on your stove.

    > OB: Chuckroast and vegetables in Slow-Cooker, Hydroponic Boston Lettuce
    > with Dressing made from 3 oils, Olive, Coconut & a drop of dark sesame
    > and lemon.

    Sounds yummy!

    > Snacks during the day were the Milton's bread that poster suggested when
    > I said that Milton's crackers were great; I bought some yesterday at
    > Costco-- I made toast and had it with some Kaesri cheese bought at the
    > Turkish market -- imported from Instanbul. Tasted like Poly-O
    > Mozzarella in block form. Nothing really special at all. And some of
    > TJ's 3-bean salad (canned).
    >
    > Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    > Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    And to you!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu 16 Mar 2006 09:44:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    > Randall?
    >
    >> Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used
    >> ebay purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy
    >> to have this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I
    >> have nothing to guage whether this is a 'norm.'

    > There is no 'norm'.
    >
    >> After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    >> USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    >> recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no
    >> notification that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday
    >> with no reponse. A call to the post office re tracking revealed no
    >> further clarification. Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they
    >> had just received it. We received from the seller a response Wednesday
    >> while we were away from home that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday
    >> or Saturday as we expected. This time was not an inconvience except
    >> that we worried that it had been shipped.

    > If you trade more on eBay you will learn that performance of the seller
    > varies widely, both in accuracy of merchandise as well as packing and
    > shipping.
    >
    > Generally, I have had very good results over the years, but have also had
    > couple of items arrive in bits and pieces. If a purchase any measureable
    > value at all, it's best to always have insurance.
    >
    >> So, here is a picture of our package and smoothtop.
    >> http://tinypic.com/rkmwxu.jpg
    >> http://tinypic.com/rkmvde.jpg
    >>
    >> HAhaHAhaHA! I was worried that it would look too new for my range -- it
    >> matches my range! I'm not throwing out my coils!
    >> But -- IT WORKS! One time use this morning for oatmeal. The rest of
    >> cooking today was

    > It looks a bit marred. Is it? Did it match with the photo the seller
    > published on eBay? Glad it's working on your stove.
    >
    >> OB: Chuckroast and vegetables in Slow-Cooker, Hydroponic Boston Lettuce
    >> with Dressing made from 3 oils, Olive, Coconut & a drop of dark sesame
    >> and lemon.

    > Sounds yummy!
    >
    >> Snacks during the day were the Milton's bread that poster suggested when
    >> I said that Milton's crackers were great; I bought some yesterday at
    >> Costco-- I made toast and had it with some Kaesri cheese bought at the
    >> Turkish market -- imported from Instanbul. Tasted like Poly-O
    >> Mozzarella in block form. Nothing really special at all. And some of
    >> TJ's 3-bean salad (canned).
    >>
    >> Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    >> Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    > And to you!
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    > ____________________
    >
    > BIOYA

    Yes, I guess it did look marred in the picture. I couldn't remember, but
    John said it did. Yes, we took insurance, and her rating is very good. But
    I'm beginning to wonder whether delivery trucks are running over our items
    or not delivering them at all -- I shouldn't say that, Fiesta is the only
    box I've not received, marked received, for a long time. So far I'm in love
    with those two bowls; one reason: the two fit pefectly in the last slot in
    the back of my dishwasher.

    I'm looking at the smooth-top cartridge site again - the picture is still
    up.
    http://tinyurl.com/gn4mn

    Top o the mornin'.
    Dee Dee

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used ebay
    > purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy to have
    > this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I have nothing
    > to guage whether this is a 'norm.'

    We shop a lot on ebay. To date we have had only one negative experience
    in which the seller said he had shipped the item. I was suspicious when
    it didn't arrive after 3 weeks so contacted him but he didn't return
    emails so I phoned him. That got nowhere. He said he had a tracking
    number but wouldn't give it to me. After another week, I called him
    again indicating I was prepared to file mail fraud since I had paid by
    money order. Within minutes of that call, he left a positive for me. I
    waited a couple more days, filed a complaint with ebay, left a negative
    for him, and contacted the post office. The post office had a friendly
    little chit chat with him and he refunded my money. The item never has
    arrived so we know he was scamming.

    > After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    > USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    > recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no notification
    > that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday with no reponse.
    > A call to the post office re tracking revealed no further clarification.
    > Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they had just received it. We
    > received from the seller a response Wednesday while we were away from home
    > that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday or Saturday as we expected. This
    > time was not an inconvience except that we worried that it had been shipped.
    >
    > So, here is a picture of our package and smoothtop.
    > http://tinypic.com/rkmwxu.jpg
    > http://tinypic.com/rkmvde.jpg

    Very nice Dee! I'm so glad it worked out ok for you. Could you please
    let me know how you like it? Can you post a pic of it on the stove?
    I'm curious whether it sits flush with the stovetop or raised a little
    like my coil burners.

    > HAhaHAhaHA! I was worried that it would look too new for my range -- it
    > matches my range! I'm not throwing out my coils!
    > But -- IT WORKS! One time use this morning for oatmeal. The rest of
    > cooking today was

    If the top of your stove is in rough shape you can likely get a new one
    from repairclinic.com. I know they have one for our stove. I think
    there is only 6 screws so it would be an easy diy project. I'd hang
    onto the coils too. That way you have the best of both :)

    > OB: Chuckroast and vegetables in Slow-Cooker, Hydroponic Boston Lettuce with
    > Dressing made from 3 oils, Olive, Coconut & a drop of dark sesame and lemon.
    >
    > Snacks during the day were the Milton's bread that poster suggested when I
    > said that Milton's crackers were great; I bought some yesterday at Costco--
    > I made toast and had it with some Kaesri cheese bought at the Turkish
    > market -- imported from Instanbul. Tasted like Poly-O Mozzarella in block
    > form. Nothing really special at all. And some of TJ's 3-bean salad
    > (canned).
    >
    > Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    > Happy St. Patrick's Day.
    > Dee Dee

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Thu 16 Mar 2006 09:44:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    > Randall?
    >

    >>Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used
    >>ebay purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy
    >>to have this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I
    >>have nothing to guage whether this is a 'norm.'

    > There is no 'norm'.

    In my reply to Dee, I mentioned our experience with ebay has been rather
    good with the exception of one negative experience. That was one more
    than I really needed!

    >>After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    >>USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    >>recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no
    >>notification that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday
    >>with no reponse. A call to the post office re tracking revealed no
    >>further clarification. Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they
    >>had just received it. We received from the seller a response Wednesday
    >>while we were away from home that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday
    >>or Saturday as we expected. This time was not an inconvience except
    >>that we worried that it had been shipped.

    > If you trade more on eBay you will learn that performance of the seller
    > varies widely, both in accuracy of merchandise as well as packing and
    > shipping.

    We have a high feedback with a good rating. Personally, I won't do
    business with a seller that has a feedback under 99% and I always check
    feedback before bidding. That is still no guarantee.

    > Generally, I have had very good results over the years, but have also had a
    > couple of items arrive in bits and pieces. If a purchase any measureable
    > value at all, it's best to always have insurance.

    My rule of thumb is not to bid unless I'm prepared to loose that money.
    I insure most of the items I buy but some smaller, inexpensive things
    I don't. I use Pay Pal most of the time and once in awhile money order.
    When I'm the seller, I always use a tracking number and buyer can only
    pay by Pay Pal. Insurance is optional but on something I sell, it is
    mandatory. I'm also picking about who I will sell to. If the buyer has
    a feedback of under 10 or a poor rating, their bid is pulled and they
    are added to my blocked bidder list. For this reason, our terms are
    clearly stated in our ads. We might get fewer bidders this way but we
    also get less problems :)

    >>So, here is a picture of our package and smoothtop.
    >>http://tinypic.com/rkmwxu.jpg
    >>http://tinypic.com/rkmvde.jpg
    >>
    >>HAhaHAhaHA! I was worried that it would look too new for my range -- it
    >>matches my range! I'm not throwing out my coils!
    >>But -- IT WORKS! One time use this morning for oatmeal. The rest of
    >>cooking today was

    > It looks a bit marred. Is it? Did it match with the photo the seller
    > published on eBay? Glad it's working on your stove.

    I thought it was dusty looking likely from shipping. It probably
    cleaned up nicely.

    >>OB: Chuckroast and vegetables in Slow-Cooker, Hydroponic Boston Lettuce
    >>with Dressing made from 3 oils, Olive, Coconut & a drop of dark sesame
    >>and lemon.

    > Sounds yummy!
    >

    >>Snacks during the day were the Milton's bread that poster suggested when
    >>I said that Milton's crackers were great; I bought some yesterday at
    >>Costco-- I made toast and had it with some Kaesri cheese bought at the
    >>Turkish market -- imported from Instanbul. Tasted like Poly-O
    >>Mozzarella in block form. Nothing really special at all. And some of
    >>TJ's 3-bean salad (canned).
    >>
    >>Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    >>Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    > And to you!

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

> [...]

    >>>TJ's 3-bean salad (canned).
    >>>
    >>>Tomorrow Mosey's corned beef.
    >>>Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    >>And to you!
    >>
    >>--
    >>Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    >>____________________
    >>
    >>BIOYA

    > Yes, I guess it did look marred in the picture. I couldn't remember, but
    > John said it did. Yes, we took insurance, and her rating is very good. But
    > I'm beginning to wonder whether delivery trucks are running over our items
    > or not delivering them at all -- I shouldn't say that, Fiesta is the only
    > box I've not received, marked received, for a long time. So far I'm in love
    > with those two bowls; one reason: the two fit pefectly in the last slot in
    > the back of my dishwasher.
    >
    > I'm looking at the smooth-top cartridge site again - the picture is still

    Hey Dee, I think you got a great deal! Those cartridges are $359 new
    according to our appliance store. You paid less than I did for new coil
    cartridges. It certainly is a cheap way to find out whether you like
    smoothtop without going to the expense of a new cartridge or new stove.
    And it works well so I'd say it was great all the way around. The
    seller has good feedback and 100% rating. Congrats, you did good! You
    lucked out that she would let you bid as a lot of sellers have taken the
    policy of not letting new bidders bid on their auctions. She shipped in
    a reasonably fast time too! I'm still waiting on an item I won back on
    Feb. 25.

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > Hey Dee, I think you got a great deal! Those cartridges are $359 new
    > according to our appliance store. You paid less than I did for new coil
    > cartridges. It certainly is a cheap way to find out whether you like
    > smoothtop without going to the expense of a new cartridge or new stove.
    > And it works well so I'd say it was great all the way around. The seller
    > has good feedback and 100% rating. Congrats, you did good! You lucked
    > out that she would let you bid as a lot of sellers have taken the policy
    > of not letting new bidders bid on their auctions. She shipped in a
    > reasonably fast time too! I'm still waiting on an item I won back on Feb.
    > 25.

    Feb 25 is more than my patience would handle unless the seller kept me
    posted (continuously!)
    Patches and Wayne, thanks for giving me good feedback; I feel better now. I
    need that, sometimes I'm hopelessly fragile in my dealings with mailed
    items, even though I do plenty of it.

    Patches, here is the picture I just took of the smooth-top cartridge in
    place on the range top.
    http://tinypic.com/rkxw1l.jpg
    The light part of the picture is, of course, the stainless steel top of the
    stove. You can see from the shadow how much raised the cartridge is. I
    measured it, I say 3/16", DH says 1/8. Close enough.

    One thing I do notice about top is that when the heat is turned off, it does
    take a while until the heat dissipates (over the coil only) . You don't
    want to touch it. DH heated 1 cup of water this morning to see how long it
    would take to boil (in a caphalon-type pan) and it took 3 minutes. But the
    area above the enclosed coil certainly remained hot/warm for quite a while.
    Not nearly like the upraised ceramic steel-looking hub insert that I have,
    which will remain hot for 2-4 hours.

    Dee Dee

  8. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Thought I'd end the day by posting a couple of pictures of my new/used
    > ebay purchase of smoothtop cartridge for my Jennair range. I am happy to
    > have this, but this is my first and only experience with ebay, so I have
    > nothing to guage whether this is a 'norm.'
    >
    > After receiving the winning bid last Thursday evening and having it sent
    > USPS Priority I started wondering after Tuesday's mail that I hadn't
    > recieved it. We had emailed the seller Monday as we had had no
    > notification that she had mailed it. A second request was sent Tuesday
    > with no reponse. A call to the post office re tracking revealed no further
    > clarification. Wednesday morning we checked at the PO and they had just
    > received it. We received from the seller a response Wednesday while we
    > were away from home that she had mailed it Monday, not Friday or Saturday
    > as we expected. This time was not an inconvience except that we worried
    > that it had been shipped.

    Sometimes it's not the seller that's the problem, but the post office. In
    fact, I've had more problems with the post office than sellers on timely
    delivery of eBay items. A couple of times the item was waiting for me at the
    post office, but no delivery notice was left at my house. To top it off, I
    am certain I was home at the time the mail carrier came through the
    neighborhood. I think what happened is the mail carrier forgot about the
    package, and when he returned to the post office at the end of the day he
    discovered it and dropped it off there. As if a delivery had been attempted
    and a notice left. I only found out about this by checking with the post
    office myself to see if the package might be there.

    Once I had a seller blatantly lie about when he shipped an item. After not
    receiving it for a couple of weeks after paying, I contacted him. He said he
    sent it early that week. I waited a few more days and still didn't receive
    it. I contacted him again and asked him to verify when he shipped it. He
    insisted it was already sent. When I finally received the item, it was post
    marked after this second contact with him. It was over a month after I had
    paid for the item before I received it. It was only coming from less than 50
    miles away!

    Be careful with feedback ratings. The over 99% positive recommendation has a
    lot of merit. If a seller (or buyer) has a rating of only 90% ( an "A" grade
    in school!), he is a pretty despicable person! What I tend to do if the
    feedback rating is below 99% is start looking at the actual feedback
    comments. I'll look at the negatives and then look at the feedback ratings
    of those who posted them. That can tell a lot about the character of the
    person. If a person posts feedback that tarnishes someone's 100% rating,
    but they themselves are at 75%, you can pretty much disregard the negative
    comment.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "wff_ng_7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    > after I had paid for the item before I received it. It was only coming
    > from less than 50 miles away!
    >
    > Be careful with feedback ratings. The over 99% positive recommendation has
    > a lot of merit. If a seller (or buyer) has a rating of only 90% ( an "A"
    > grade in school!), he is a pretty despicable person! What I tend to do if
    > the feedback rating is below 99% is start looking at the actual feedback
    > comments. I'll look at the negatives and then look at the feedback ratings
    > of those who posted them. That can tell a lot about the character of the
    > person. If a person posts feedback that tarnishes someone's 100% rating,
    > but they themselves are at 75%, you can pretty much disregard the negative
    > comment.
    >
    > --
    > ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

    Thanks for all your information. Looks like I lucked out and didn't know
    it.
    Ebay is tough on me! Amazon is OK, but then I get squirrely about it, too.
    Thanks again,
    Dee Dee