Jens Voight more bad news for Schleck on Thursday?

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
Depending on how bad Jens is injury is and how much he can recover today could have implications on Thursday. I would assume the plan would be to get Jens in a break to assist Schleck later along the stage. Either way he is a asset that will be missed if he is not 100%.
Astana will try and control the pace but I have seen Cancellara pull pretty good for a while through some of the climbs so maybe Saxo could put him up front , set a blistering pace and try and burn out Astana early. Of course Saxo will have to sacrifice Canc. and team members also but they have to do something a little desperate if Schleck is to gain anything back on 17.
He will still need that front man for later and Jens would be my choice if he is healthy.
Anyways that's my ramblings and of course I picked Basso to podium ,so there you go.

It was pretty awesome that Jens snagged a bike off the SAG wagon to desend the Peyresourde Pass. He's the man!

He has to be one of the toughest guy in the peloton. I am told he is also a super nice individual.

This guy's a soldier! Tough and gritty. Just look at his face when he rides. Gotta love it. He's definitely one to have on your team. Very admirable riding. Ultimate domestique in my books.

Yeah - in the post-race interview he said he has road rash all over his body. Look at all the blood soaking through in that picture!

He does a lot of exclusives for Bicycling magazine and definitely seems like a really cool, down-to-earth guy in his interviews. Definitely a tremendous asset to his team and professional cycling.

jhuskey said:
Depending on how bad Jens is injury is and how much he can recover today could have implications on Thursday. I would assume the plan would be to get Jens in a break to assist Schleck later along the stage. Either way he is a asset that will be missed if he is not 100%.
Astana will try and control the pace but I have seen Cancellara pull pretty good for a while through some of the climbs so maybe Saxo could put him up front , set a blistering pace and try and burn out Astana early. Of course Saxo will have to sacrifice Canc. and team members also but they have to do something a little desperate if Schleck is to gain anything back on 17.
He will still need that front man for later and Jens would be my choice if he is healthy.
Anyways that's my ramblings and of course I picked Basso to podium ,so there you go.

Basso has bronchitis. I expect he'll be wheezing along in the gruppetto tommorrow.

Voigt apparently has cracked ribs. That's extemely painful & I think he won't be of much use to Schleck.

gtm said:
Basso has bronchitis. I expect he'll be wheezing along in the gruppetto tommorrow.

Voigt apparently has cracked ribs. That's extemely painful & I think he won't be of much use to Schleck.

In my opinion that is a signifigant loss to the team on this stage.
Don't think Schleck could win either way but it's bad to lose the talent.
I heard that Basso was ill and it just goes to show that you need more that good legs to win this race.
There is an element of luck also.

jhuskey said:
In my opinion that is a signifigant loss to the team on this stage.
Don't think Schleck could win either way but it's bad to lose the talent.
I heard that Basso was ill and it just goes to show that you need more that good legs to win this race.

Can't agree more. At the very least Voigt would have delivered Schleck to the base of the Tourmalet at high speed. Schleck may find himself isolated on the Col de Soulor where as Contador will have Vino, Navarro (hasn't he ridden well this Tour?) & Tiralongo watching his back. It's a big, big ask for Schleck but who knows? Maybe he'll go on a Merkxx style rampage?

gtm said:
Can't agree more. At the very least Voigt would have delivered Schleck to the base of the Tourmalet at high speed. Schleck may find himself isolated on the Col de Soulor where as Contador will have Vino, Navarro (hasn't he ridden well this Tour?) & Tiralongo watching his back. It's a big, big ask for Schleck but who knows? Maybe he'll go on a Merkxx style rampage?

Maybe Lance will loan him Kloden.:D

jhuskey said:
He has to be one of the toughest guy in the peloton. I am told he is also a super nice individual.
Versus had a nice "Rider Spotlight" on him. Seems like a great guy - he was cracking jokes about his wreck in last year's TdF and saying "oh, it wasn't that bad - they stitched up my face and my leg and I was fine"; they then showed pics of him in the hospital where he looked like he'd been gang-raped by sharks.

The man is TOUGH. Absolutely one of my favorite riders to watch.

jhuskey said:
So true. Cadel and Lance in particular don't look like they're in the Schleck/Contador class ANYWAY, but aside from heinous luck for both of them I can't see any reason they wouldn't be competing with Menchov and Sanchez for the podium.

Mojo Johnson said:
It was pretty awesome that Jens snagged a bike off the SAG wagon to desend the Peyresourde Pass. He's the man!

toe clips?! what year was this sag wagon from?

Cool you picked up on that slovakguy. Toe clips are probably the best set up for the neutral-service bikes: doubtful that many riders would want to waste time having the mechanic swap pedals for them :)

dhk2 said:
Cool you picked up on that slovakguy. Toe clips are probably the best set up for the neutral-service bikes: doubtful that many riders would want to waste time having the mechanic swap pedals for them :)

i like that he never bothered to cinch up the straps. lose the helmet, wrap a big watch on the wrist and get him a pair of ray-bans and we're in the wabac machine.

Voet is a graduate of the Berlin Dynamo Cycling Club.
Alma Mater to Jan Ullrich, Erik Zabel and a host of other tough buggers.

I did some research on the Berlin Cycling school and the man in my avatar was one of the driving forces behind a superb East German cycling system and a leading force in the Berlin school.

You could Jens (or Jan or Erik) on a unicycle and they'd still be able to climb the Tourmalet!

limerickman said:
...You could Jens (or Jan or Erik) on a unicycle and they'd still be able to climb the Tourmalet!
Like 4x up Ventoux in 1 day on a unicycle?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRwtD20dFQ]YouTube - 4x Mont Ventoux on unicycle[/ame]

Eoin : :D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously a very impressive display especially the last bit when the cyclist was pedalling in the middle of what looked like a storm.

Didn't see him descending though!