Jeremy Vine TODAY

wafflycat

Guest
Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently it's
going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at red thing..
meven got a message board link for it on his web site..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

BAH! I shall not listen, or I may explode ;D

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently it's
going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at red thing..
meven got a message board link for it on his web site..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

BAH! I shall not listen, or I may explode ;D

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

wafflycat twisted the electrons to say:
> Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently
> it's going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at
> red thing.. meven got a message board link for it on his web site..

I find it's generally best *not* to listen to the Jeremy Vine show. I
don't know where they dig up the members of the public who contact them,
but the stupidity of some of them[1] is truly awe-inspiring. It's
something of a shame really as some of the people they have in to talk
about the details of $SUBJECT do seem to know their stuff ...

[1] Eg: The gentleman last week who seemed to believe that if you where
arrested by the police you had to prove your innocence[2], rather
than them trying to prove your guilt!
[2] I'm sure Riechsfuhrer Blunkett was trying to move the country in that
direction but we haven't (AFAIK) quite got there yet ...

wafflycat wrote on 22/06/2006 11:54 +0100:
> Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently
> it's going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at
> red thing.. meven got a message board link for it on his web site..
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/
>
> BAH! I shall not listen, or I may explode ;D
>
> Cheers, helen s

Well the vote on his web page is 93% stop at red lights, 7% don't which
IIRC is better than when the RAC surveyed motorists and bus drivers.
Worth going and voting now.

On a related point, I'm getting a bit fed up of BBC cyclist bashing.
Can we collect together a list of all the recent examples that know of
anti and pro? I then plan to write to The Management to complain about
their one sided cyclist bashing with examples of how many bashes they
have against positive pieces.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:
> wafflycat wrote on 22/06/2006 11:54 +0100:
>> Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently
>> it's going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at
>> red thing.. meven got a message board link for it on his web site..
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/
>>
>> BAH! I shall not listen, or I may explode ;D
>>
>> Cheers, helen s
>>

> Well the vote on his web page is 93% stop at red lights, 7% don't
> which IIRC is better than when the RAC surveyed motorists and bus
> drivers. Worth going and voting now.
>
> On a related point, I'm getting a bit fed up of BBC cyclist bashing.
> Can we collect together a list of all the recent examples that know of
> anti and pro? I then plan to write to The Management to complain
> about their one sided cyclist bashing with examples of how many
> bashes they have against positive pieces.

Did you listen?

The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light running at
a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had been injured by red
light running cyclists.

Is that cyclist bashing?

pk

p.k. wrote:

> Did you listen?
>
> The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light running at
> a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had been injured by red
> light running cyclists.
>
> Is that cyclist bashing?
>
> pk

If 'a number of pedestrains' have really been injured, why has there
been no campaign of enforcement?

I suspect that the lady was making it up.

On 2006-06-22, Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
> I find it's generally best *not* to listen to the Jeremy Vine show. I
> don't know where they dig up the members of the public who contact them,

Probably the same insipid permanently offended Middle Englanders that
read the Daily Mail and write to its letters page!

Al C-F wrote:
> p.k. wrote:
>
>> Did you listen?
>>
>> The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light
>> running at a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had
>> been injured by red light running cyclists.
>>
>> Is that cyclist bashing?
>>
>> pk
>>

> If 'a number of pedestrains' have really been injured, why has there
> been no campaign of enforcement?
>
> I suspect that the lady was making it up.

She said that on a campaign day the police had given on the spot fies to red
light running cyclists.

pk

Al C-F wrote:

> p.k. wrote:
>
> > Did you listen?
> >
> > The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light running at
> > a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had been injured by red
> > light running cyclists.
> >
> > Is that cyclist bashing?
> >
> > pk

> If 'a number of pedestrains' have really been injured, why has there
> been no campaign of enforcement?
>
> I suspect that the lady was making it up.

I listened to it too. It seems there has been/is a campaign of enforcement.
It started because 4 children were injured.
'Mums with banners' then ran a local campaign bringing the issue to the
attention of both the errant cyclists and the police.
Apparently a number of cyclists were handed spot fines.

I'm with pk on this one.
Cyclists should obey all traffic laws.

John B

On 22 Jun 2006 11:30:44 GMT, Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:

> [1] Eg: The gentleman last week who seemed to believe that if you where
> arrested by the police you had to prove your innocence[2], rather
> than them trying to prove your guilt!
> [2] I'm sure Riechsfuhrer Blunkett was trying to move the country in that
> direction but we haven't (AFAIK) quite got there yet ...

Not in general, but we have in some respects - RIP act, for example.

Of course, if you look a bit foreign, you might not get a chance to
prove your innocence...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

p.k. wrote:

> The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light running at
> a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had been injured by red
> light running cyclists.
>
> Is that cyclist bashing?

Not directly, though it is the case that relentlessly pointing out the
bad stuff (which I don't deny is there) while "forgetting" to dwell on
any plus points does leave an overall enbashed feeling. But it doesn't
make for such good radio.

Jeremy Vine /can/ ask intelligent questions and pose decent points (I
hear him do it every then and now), but what especially annoys me about
him is that he often throws that aside and goes for the cheap shot dumb
question where anyone[1] can see the real answer is "it depends", but
having someone say so makes them look like they're trying to avoid the
question.

Pete.

[1] anyone with a Clue, that is
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

> p.k. wrote:
>
> > The bit I caught was a lady cyclist campaigning against red light running at
> > a particular crossing where a number of pedestrians had been injured by red
> > light running cyclists.
> >
> > Is that cyclist bashing?

> Not directly, though it is the case that relentlessly pointing out the
> bad stuff (which I don't deny is there) while "forgetting" to dwell on
> any plus points does leave an overall enbashed feeling. But it doesn't
> make for such good radio.
>
> Jeremy Vine /can/ ask intelligent questions and pose decent points (I
> hear him do it every then and now), but what especially annoys me about
> him is that he often throws that aside and goes for the cheap shot dumb
> question where anyone[1] can see the real answer is "it depends", but
> having someone say so makes them look like they're trying to avoid the
> question.

I didn't think the programme was the usual cheap shot at cyclists, perhaps
because it focussed on one particular problem and didn't get _too_ distracted by
the usual no road tax/no numberplates arguments.
I was pleasantly surprised.

John B

Clive George wrote:

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'm with pk on this one.
> > Cyclists should obey all traffic laws.

> Even the ones to do with pedal reflectors?

Yes.
Whether it is good use of limited resources to enforce them is another
matter.

John B

John B wrote:

> Peter Clinch wrote:

>> Jeremy Vine /can/ ask intelligent questions and pose decent points (I
>> hear him do it every then and now), but what especially annoys me about
>> him is that he often throws that aside and goes for the cheap shot dumb
>> question where anyone[1] can see the real answer is "it depends", but
>> having someone say so makes them look like they're trying to avoid the
>> question.

> I didn't think the programme was the usual cheap shot at cyclists, perhaps
> because it focussed on one particular problem and didn't get _too_ distracted by
> the usual no road tax/no numberplates arguments.
> I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't actually hear today's show (radio in the lab is off today) so
my comment above is a general rant, rather than specific to today's show.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

There's a great comment on the message board 'I don't know why you need a mountain bike in London' !!! Whilst I totally agree, we all know the corolllary to that concerning cars.:)

Bryan

Peter Clinch wrote:

> John B wrote:
> >
> > Peter Clinch wrote:

> >> Jeremy Vine /can/ ask intelligent questions and pose decent points (I
> >> hear him do it every then and now), but what especially annoys me about
> >> him is that he often throws that aside and goes for the cheap shot dumb
> >> question where anyone[1] can see the real answer is "it depends", but
> >> having someone say so makes them look like they're trying to avoid the
> >> question.

> > I didn't think the programme was the usual cheap shot at cyclists, perhaps
> > because it focussed on one particular problem and didn't get _too_ distracted by
> > the usual no road tax/no numberplates arguments.
> > I was pleasantly surprised.

> I didn't actually hear today's show (radio in the lab is off today) so
> my comment above is a general rant, rather than specific to today's show.

Fair enough. Normally your rant would be fully justified.

John B

"p.k." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> She said that on a campaign day the police had given on the spot fies to
> red light running cyclists.

is that where they a bobby adminonishes them with a cry of "Fie, o cyclist!
Stop in the name of a constable of the law!"

I knew that ASBOs were similar to medieval legislation but I never realised
we were turning the clock *that* far back....

Alex

--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

wafflycat wrote:
> Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently
> it's going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at
> red thing.. meven got a message board link for it on his web site..
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/
>
> BAH! I shall not listen, or I may explode ;D

The media keep telling us about imminent global warming catastrophe yet **** off people
using emission-free transport as smug. It's all very baffling.

Nice to see the good old Indy redressing the balance today: http://www.independent.co.uk/

Alan

Alistair Gunn wrote:
> wafflycat twisted the electrons to say:
>
>>Just caught a bit of his preamble about his prog today... apparently
>>it's going to be an anti-cyclist ranting... sigh... about the stop at
>>red thing.. meven got a message board link for it on his web site..

> I find it's generally best *not* to listen to the Jeremy Vine show. I
> don't know where they dig up the members of the public who contact them,
> but the stupidity of some of them[1] is truly awe-inspiring.

I have never, ever, heard a phone in where anybody
said anything worth hearing.

Admittedly, having formed this view a while back,
I don't tend to listen to phone ins anymore...

BugBear