Jerk in the Merc - Local Loco Lefty Lurch - Time to Die

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Hodson, May 22, 2003.

  1. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    Hi all

    Initially, I was saying all sorts of nasty things about Volvo drivers because that's the make of car
    I thoought I was sideswiped by - sorry Guy.

    Whatever, hereabouts <http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=514250&Y=104750&width=500&height=300-
    &client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=5000&down.-
    x=19&down.y=19> I was involved in a hit and run. More precisely, I was involved in a mild swipe and
    trundle away.

    I was riding from the North of the map and turning left, via a mini roundabout, into Ardsheal
    Road. I'd seen a few cars in front of me so I slowed down a little in order to see what was
    devolping in front of
    me. When the traffic had sorted itself out I sped up a little and signalled left.

    As I was leaning left into the roudabout, what I thought was a Volvo drove past me and began
    also to turn left. A moment later the car turned even more sharply and squeezed me between
    itself and the kerb.

    The result was that I ended up flat faced on the tarmac with blood pouring out of my right elbow.
    (I'd over-corrected myself and fell onto the road rather than the concrete fence that surrounds
    Broadwater Green, which I was riding past.)

    The car, which I now know to be a Mercedes and not a Volvo (I only saw a slab of a blue estate),
    carried on its merry way without stopping. As I gave the estate an almighty but unintentional slap
    as I was falling, I can't think how he managed not to hear me.

    Fortunately, several drivers (bless 'em!) saw the "incident" and more than one phoned the local
    police. Thank God for that, as the driver who gave me the Merc's registration number had provided
    the wrong details. I understand that the police turned up after I'd recovered my senses and trundled
    off - I needed to pay my recently-increased Council Tax. Ta, Mr Blobby Two Jags.

    Anyway, I got myself to a cashpoint, withdrew the dosh, paid the Council Tax, reported my bang to
    the police then went to my local A&E.

    When I was in the A&E, I felt reasonably OK. After all, I had only a gashed elbow and a few sore
    ribs. BTW, I never damage the ribs on my left side. Why is that?

    However, over the past few hours I've begun to have a very stiff neck. Stiff = bloody painful and
    rather creaky.

    So, u.r.c readers, that was my day today.

    Almost finally, the Merc hit me somewhere just behind its front door. Bearing in mind that the car
    was an estate, and so had quite a chunk of car behind that point, I'm glad that I was riding at only
    five miles per hour or so. I'd guesstimate the Merc was speeding at between seven and ten MPH.

    Maybe Paul Smith does have a point re the more speed the safer. Nah!!!

    So, my right hand is tingling in a banged funny bone manner and, as I'm sure I've already said, my
    neck is beginning to ache.

    Lastly, regarding any thoughts about any future action I may or may not decide to take: My bike is
    almost intact. A few bits of handle bar tape have been shredded and I'm not too sure about the state
    of my rear wheel. FWIW, I was riding my Orbea Larrau
    <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg>

    Regards James

    PS The reg number of the dark blue Merc Estate is DH2 5571, according

    PP The near to two stones of surplus blubber I've accumulated since I was last de-biked probably
    helped me to bounce rather than merely plummet painfully.

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > Initially, I was saying all sorts of nasty things about Volvo drivers because that's the make of
    > car I thoought I was sideswiped by - sorry Guy.
    >
    > Whatever, hereabouts

    <http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=514250&Y=104750&width=500&height=3
    00&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&a
    dvanced=&scale=5000&down.x=19&down.y=19>
    > I was involved in a hit and run. More precisely, I was involved in a mild swipe and trundle away

    Bloody hell fire Jimmy Boy, glad you're safe. We're all just one second
    away from who knows what fate? Hope you get your confidence back soon.

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in as the driver
    > who gave me the Merc's registration number had provided the wrong details.

    I'm not so sure about this. Every story I hear about someone getting the reg of a car involved in
    an accident, the car always comes back as "not found" by the police. Call me cynical, but if the
    car matched the reg, then plod would actually have to do some work.

  4. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    news:y%[email protected]...
    > The real sad thing is that I've started doing it in ped mode as well now!!...

    After spending a few years in Canada where it was normal to give way to peds on the "crosswalk"
    at junctions I inadvertently tried crossing at a junction here expecting the same treatment.
    Needless to say the car didn't stop so I gave it some corporal punishment and informed it that
    it's driver was a "Fat Bastard". This went down very well with the assembled throng of fellow
    peds who gave me a cheer!

    Pete

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snipped a bit here, snipped a bit there, oh buggar I've snipped the blimmin' lot>

    I hope the basket gets nicked James. Injuring you was bad enough but leaving the scene of the
    accident is not only serious but callous when someone's down.

    Maybe the driver hadn't realised what happened, which is truly frightening to think these morons are
    driving around oblivious to such things.

    Maybe they were on the mobile, the problem of poorly controlled cars in urban areas with a driver
    holding a phone to their ear seems endemic.

    Speedy recovery, Pete

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:14:01 +0100, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in as the driver
    >> who gave me the Merc's registration number had provided the wrong details.
    >
    > I'm not so sure about this. Every story I hear about someone getting the reg of a car involved in
    > an accident, the car always comes back as "not found" by the police. Call me cynical, but if the
    > car matched the reg, then plod would actually have to do some work.

    Simon,

    To give the witnesses some credit, one driver shouted out the number to me and I then called out
    what I thought was the correct registration to a WHITE VAN MAN - oh yes!! - who had a pencil and pad
    with him. I obviously must have misheard the first witness and so passed on erroneous details.

    Fortunately, as I think I said earlier, another driver phoned the West

    police station was able to reconcile my quite-close guess with the number that had been phoned in by
    that other driver. That other driver did indeed give a legitimate car registration.

    My one regret is that I did not take any details of those several witnesses. However, and of course,
    one is quite glad to be all in one piece and isn't particularly concerned about witnesses' details
    at the time.

    James

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:14:03 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ouch! - Sorry to hear about that, hope you recover quickly!
    >
    >Hurrah for the witnesses though :) Tis funny how the worst crashes tend to result in the least bike
    >damage eg shredded bar tape

    <G>

    Fortunately, I still have my collar and cuff device from when I broke both collar bones (separate
    incidents) eighteen months or so ago.

    I'd always thought my late mother was a stupid hoarder but I can her point now.

    FWIW, having done the head injury, separated shoulder and both collar bones bit I decided to give a
    different part of my temple - sorry, body - a bit of a trashing. ;-)

    James

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:29:08 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    ><snipped a bit here, snipped a bit there, oh buggar I've snipped the blimmin' lot>

    Control yourself and any of your cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd, Peter!! ;-)

    >I hope the basket gets nicked James. Injuring you was bad enough but leaving the scene of the
    >accident is not only serious but callous when someone's down.
    >
    >Maybe the driver hadn't realised what happened, which is truly frightening to think these morons
    >are driving around oblivious to such things.
    >
    >Maybe they were on the mobile, the problem of poorly controlled cars in urban areas with a driver
    >holding a phone to their ear seems endemic.

    FWIW, from my point of view, as I'm not particularly hurt, it's the driving away that pisses me off
    the most. Also, it was the driver's actions, or so it seemed to me to be, as far as I can tell,
    especially anoying to my local police.

    If he'd - I assume it was a he - just stopped and said sorry I would not have even bothered going to
    the police of the hospital at all.

    Anyhoo: It's seven o'clock and time for dinner, dum, de, dum, de, dum, dum.

    >Speedy recovery
    Ta, mate James

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  10. "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Lastly, regarding any thoughts about any future action I may or may not decide to take: My bike is
    > almost intact. A few bits of handle bar tape have been shredded and I'm not too sure about the
    > state of my rear wheel. FWIW, I was riding my Orbea Larrau
    > <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg>
    >
    > Regards James
    >
    > PS The reg number of the dark blue Merc Estate is DH2 5571, according

    Glad to hear you're ok James.

    Whether or not you decide to pursue the matter, it is an offence to leave the scene of an accident
    in that way and hopefully if the plod trace the driver they will prosecute. The problem is they
    probably won't make much effort at tracing the driver - if you're lucky they might knock on the door
    of the registered keeper or send a letter but if the keeper doesn't tell them who was driving
    (confessing) they'll probably just tell you they couldn't trace him/her. That was my experience
    anyway, once when I was motorcycling - I crashed into a car that turned across my path and drove on
    - I got the registration number, plod were called, but all it eventually resulted in was a letter
    saying the driver couldn't be traced :-(.

    Rich

  11. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Peter B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > <snipped a bit here, snipped a bit there, oh buggar I've snipped the blimmin' lot>
    >
    > I hope the basket gets nicked James. Injuring you was bad enough but
    leaving
    > the scene of the accident is not only serious but callous when someone's down.

    Absolutely. Get well soon.

    > Maybe the driver hadn't realised what happened, which is truly frightening to think these morons
    > are driving around oblivious to such things.
    >
    > Maybe they were on the mobile, the problem of poorly controlled cars in urban areas with a driver
    > holding a phone to their ear seems endemic.

    This pisses me right off. The anoying thing too is that you can have a fully installed car kit for
    about £200 which is nowt when you see some of the cars these jokers are driving round in. (Jeep
    Cheroke Grand this morning c. £30K?) You can get a headset for £15!

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:58:14 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So, my right hand is tingling in a banged funny bone manner and, as I'm sure I've already said, my
    >neck is beginning to ache.

    Major bummer. Glad you're fundamentally OK, you probably have a whipplash injury (as everyone else
    in the world will tell you). CTC member? Get on the dog right now to their tame sharks. Not a
    member? Well, I probably shouldn't say this, but a bloke I know in Brum accosted me a while back
    because his daughter had been SMIDSYd. I advised him to send her the way of the CTC. She joined, and
    their legal eagles are now handling her pre-existing claim.

    To be absolutely and completely fair to the driver, who we will call "clueless f**kwit cager
    bastard," he committed an offence in leaving the scene and as can be deprived of his licence,
    provided the courts and the boys in blue do the needful. So be friendly but firm with the plod and
    hope that the clueless f**kwit cager bastard has his goolies
    - er, licence - removed.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. I hope the driver has his goolies fester.

    Glad you aren't too badly hurt.

    *hugs* helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > When I was in the A&E, I felt reasonably OK. After all, I had only a gashed elbow and a few sore
    > ribs. BTW, I never damage the ribs on my left side. Why is that?

    Probably because you always fall to the right?

    > However, over the past few hours I've begun to have a very stiff neck. Stiff = bloody painful and
    > rather creaky.

    If you can spare the time I would go back to casualty or to your GP. Apart from the remote
    possibility that you have a more serious injury than you realise it might be a Good Thing for the
    full extent of your injuries to be a matter of record.

    > Bearing in mind that the car was an estate, and so had quite a chunk of car behind that point, I'm
    > glad that I was riding at only five miles per hour or so. I'd guesstimate the Merc was speeding at
    > between seven and ten MPH.
    >
    > Maybe Paul Smith does have a point re the more speed the safer. Nah!!!

    It's one of those cagers who doesn't see or hear a thing. He or she probably did not see you in the
    first place, did not realise they'd hit you, did not hear you bang the car, did not hear the
    shouts, probably would not have noticed if a helicopter had landed on their roof, and is patently
    unfit to drive.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    --
    Dave...

  15. >I hope the driver has his goolies fester.

    And if the driver is a she, I hope she has her bits dry up, whither & fall apart.

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  16. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:58:14 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    [SNIP my own stuff]

    You can tell you've fallen off a bike when everything hurts the following day.

    Also, you can tell it's a sunny bank holiday weekend when two cars racing each other round a
    roundabout both "were forced" to slam on their brakes and passenges in both cars shouted f******
    w***** at the well behaved cyclist (not me - I was having a quaffing some coffee at a café) and did
    the correct hand signal exactly at the same time.

    Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes, Contestants in a suicidal race.

    Anyway, thanks for the kind messages everyone.

    James

  17. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 23 May 2003 04:38:23 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> When I was in the A&E, I felt reasonably OK. After all, I had only a gashed elbow and a few sore
    >> ribs. BTW, I never damage the ribs on my left side. Why is that?
    >
    >Probably because you always fall to the right?

    Correct, Dave. As a kiddie, I never ripped the left knee of my trousers; it was always the right
    side. Also as I was and am rubbish at soccer, I ended up being a goalkeeper. If the opposition
    forwards had only known that a shot to my left would almost certainly have resulted in a goal my
    school sides woud have faired far more badly. Strangley, I never had problem when playing rugby. I
    could kick, pass and tackle equally well on both sides.

    >If you can spare the time I would go back to casualty or to your GP. Apart from the remote
    >possibility that you have a more serious injury than you realise it might be a Good Thing for the
    >full extent of your injuries to be a matter of record.

    I shall pop back on Tuesday - after the bank holiday. I only visited the A&E because the police lady
    suggested I did so. My reasoning, like yours, Dave, was to have it put on record that I'd been
    banged about a bit. At the time (Thursday) my only "injury" was a gashed elbow - the right elbow,
    naturally.

    >It's one of those cagers who doesn't see or hear a thing. He or she probably did not see you in the
    >first place, did not realise they'd hit you, did not hear you bang the car, did not hear the
    >shouts, probably would not have noticed if a helicopter had landed on their roof, and is patently
    >unfit to drive.

    I gave the car an almighty smack as I fell so, IMO, the driving away was down to one of two reasons.
    Either the driver thought I was about to attack him/her or he/she was truly getting away from the
    scene as quickly as possible.

    >Hope you feel better soon!

    Ta, Dave.

    James

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 23 May 2003 12:00:02 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >>I hope the driver has his goolies fester.
    >
    >And if the driver is a she, I hope she has her bits dry up, whither & fall apart.

    <G>

    Helen

    You truly are an evil woman. I can feel an ELO song coming on.

    James

  19. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:17:48 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >'Ere, just been to your site, not sure which was more gruesome, the foot repair job or Guys
    >'tache :)

    Yuk. I'd forgotten that adult material was there.

    >(is that your foot on the piccie?)

    No. It belongs to another kite flyer who had a slight accident.

    James

  20. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> When I was in the A&E, I felt reasonably OK. After all, I had only a gashed elbow and a few
    > >> sore ribs. BTW, I never damage the ribs on my left side. Why is that?

    When I got knocked off I had almost no immediate pain whatsover, however it gradually came on and
    after four hours I was bedridden and spent a very painful night. I had already visited my GP on the
    advice of the police and visited again 2 days later. He explained that the reason I hurt all over
    was due to the G forces involved.

    Pete