Jerky Spinning

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
Newbie here ,trying to get in the spinning groove, but how do I turn my rotations into smoothness? Eventually I start jerking in my saddle when my legs try to keep up with the pedals....Help please

Thanks

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
keydates said:
Do you have toe-clips or clipless pedals?

I'm riding on clipless pedals which I've only been riding for a few weeks now.

str8shooter

Jul 15, 2004
Do you have a computer with a cadence counter on it? Sounds like you may be spinning too fast, if so drop down to the next gear.

I'm pretty new to the spinning method. I experience the same bouncing or jerking in the saddle when I get up over 105 rpm. I just shift it to the next gear and the rpm's drop and all smooths out.

Fwiw I have a Cat Eye Astrale 8 computer with a cadence counter on my bike. For a computer that costs less than $40 Its a good training aid.

Good Luck

Glowingrod

Oct 3, 2004
str8shooter said:
Sounds like you may be spinning too fast Good Luck

Sounds right if you're just starting out. A good spin takes time a muscle training. That cadence counter will definately help, I'd recommend slowing your spin if you find yourself jerking when you've spun the gear your in up to speed, the practice of keeping that slower smoother spin for as long as possible will teach your legs the muscle memory to smoothly up your cadence. If you gear each time you've spun up a gear you may end up working too hard too fast and won't be able to keep that next gear spinning too long at all.
If you've a velodrome available, try it, more fun than a barrel of....stuff

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks. Sounds just like what I need. Don't knwo why I didn't think of it. Thanks.
James