Jersey Choices

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raymo853, May 8, 2003.

  1. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
    > selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

    The French are pacifists, remember? On the other hand, if a Frenchman were to wear to a "France
    rules" jersey through the southern USA, there is a good chance he would be shown some real "southern
    hospitality".

    IMHO, unless you're some sort of missionary, you're better off visiting foreign countries low key.
    Let the locals meet you as a person, not a stereotype.

  3. >I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
    >selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

    I think it would be a faux pas, and you aren't likely to get much sympathy. On the other hand my
    predictions are often wrong, and you might be welcomed with open arms.

    By all means try it and report back.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
    >selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

    My guess is that it would just reinforce their opinion of American's.

    My guess is though that you aren't really going, this is just a troll.

    Jon Isaacs

  5. Mike Hilb

    Mike Hilb Guest

    I second the opinion this guy is trolling. BTW, watch the tour on TV, going there just helps support
    their economy.

  6. Raymo853 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
    > selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?
    > http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand

    Well, you would certainly make Fabrizio very, very angry, (imagine the Martian from Bugs Bunny
    cartoons saying "You are making me very, very angry!") because that jersey is a fashion crime of the
    highest order. I think you would be in more danger in that jersey on your local racers' training
    ride than in France. Don't come near my wheel wearing that, or you'll be getting a bidon of
    salbutamol-laced Extran upside your head.

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]u.edu>, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> writes:
    > I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wea this jersey Nashbar is
    > selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

    Just treat the ppl as the regular, dignified human beans you, I and they are, and you'll be okay.
    Don't condescendingly call everybody "Gar-Sawn", or chug-a-lug the wine. Show a little appreciation.
    Smile a lot, and charm them with that open-faced, boyish, American friendliness. Then, at worst,
    they'll regard your jersey with mild bemusement, if at all. Most likely, you'd just surprise 'em
    with your unexpected niceness.

    Okay, I guess I now sound like a Canadian sucking-up to Americans. But I've lived awhile, and I've
    seen what I've seen. And from what I've experienced, Americans are a very friendly, out-going and
    people-loving bunch of people ... albeit in a rather rough-cut, down-to-earth, yet charming way.

    IMO though, the American Gov't is so Machiavellian, it might as well be the Hudson Bay Company, or
    the Canadian Parliament.

    But governments are no indicator of the qualities of the people pver which they rule. I hope not
    anyways, or else Canadians would be a bunch of close-minded, closed-eyed, money-grubbing,
    back-stabbing, gutless sheep who don't know whether to shit or go blind.

    Don't think about governments. Just think about *people*, who are pretty much the same all over the
    world, regardless of their governments.

    So, wear your jersey, and be the nice guy you are.

    Make friends. Maybe buy 'em some Miller Genuine Drafts.

    cheers, Tom