Jersey Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
> selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

The French are pacifists, remember? On the other hand, if a Frenchman were to wear to a "France
rules" jersey through the southern USA, there is a good chance he would be shown some real "southern
hospitality".

IMHO, unless you're some sort of missionary, you're better off visiting foreign countries low key.
Let the locals meet you as a person, not a stereotype.

>I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
>selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

I think it would be a faux pas, and you aren't likely to get much sympathy. On the other hand my
predictions are often wrong, and you might be welcomed with open arms.

By all means try it and report back.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

>I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
>selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?

My guess is that it would just reinforce their opinion of American's.

My guess is though that you aren't really going, this is just a troll.

Jon Isaacs

I second the opinion this guy is trolling. BTW, watch the tour on TV, going there just helps support
their economy.

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
> >selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?
>
> My guess is that it would just reinforce their opinion of American's.
>
> My guess is though that you aren't really going, this is just a troll.
>
> Jon Isaacs

Raymo853 <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand

Well, you would certainly make Fabrizio very, very angry, (imagine the Martian from Bugs Bunny
cartoons saying "You are making me very, very angry!") because that jersey is a fashion crime of the
highest order. I think you would be in more danger in that jersey on your local racers' training
ride than in France. Don't come near my wheel wearing that, or you'll be getting a bidon of
salbutamol-laced Extran upside your head.

In article <[email protected]>, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> writes:
> I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wea this jersey Nashbar is

Just treat the ppl as the regular, dignified human beans you, I and they are, and you'll be okay.
Don't condescendingly call everybody "Gar-Sawn", or chug-a-lug the wine. Show a little appreciation.
Smile a lot, and charm them with that open-faced, boyish, American friendliness. Then, at worst,
they'll regard your jersey with mild bemusement, if at all. Most likely, you'd just surprise 'em
with your unexpected niceness.

Okay, I guess I now sound like a Canadian sucking-up to Americans. But I've lived awhile, and I've
seen what I've seen. And from what I've experienced, Americans are a very friendly, out-going and
people-loving bunch of people ... albeit in a rather rough-cut, down-to-earth, yet charming way.

IMO though, the American Gov't is so Machiavellian, it might as well be the Hudson Bay Company, or
the Canadian Parliament.

But governments are no indicator of the qualities of the people pver which they rule. I hope not
anyways, or else Canadians would be a bunch of close-minded, closed-eyed, money-grubbing,
back-stabbing, gutless sheep who don't know whether to **** or go blind.

Don't think about governments. Just think about *people*, who are pretty much the same all over the
world, regardless of their governments.

So, wear your jersey, and be the nice guy you are.

Make friends. Maybe buy 'em some Miller Genuine Drafts.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Raymo853 wrote:
>

I think that they should make a "Go Postal" jersey instead. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Whenever I visit a foreign land for a holiday, I bear in mind *I* am the foreigner whilst there, so
it's up to me to adhere to local customs, etc., and in effect, act as an ambassador for *my*
country. If it were me, I wouldn't wear that jersey - unless I took some sort of perverse liking to
taking an action which may well annoy my hosts, which could result in my holiday no longer being
enjoyable.

Good manners costs very little - indeed, it saves you the price of wearing something that *might*
make you seem like the caricature of the loud-mouthed, arrogant American abroad. Of course, you
probably aren't that caricature, but why come across as that? Nearly every American I've met in
person is a rather nice person, but "American abroad" does have the caricature of being loud-mouthed
and arrogant - so why not do you bit to dispell the caricature. Of course, you could be trolling ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

OK guys, I would never wear that Trashbar jersey regardless of where I am going. I think it is
offensive.

On the Canadian flag jersey issue, I have had many EU friends rant about how that hate Canadians
since they always make sure to cover themselves with the maple leaf and their second or third
sentence upon meeting someone mentions they are Canadian.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:KYNua.529914$OV.499951@rwcrnsc54...
> "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to wear this jersey Nashbar is
> > selling, do you think I would make some folks angry?
> >
>
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sk
> u=9034&brand
> >
>
> Personally, if I were going to France this summer, I'd get a maple leaf jersey, then the waiter
> might not spit in my soup.

Fri, 9 May 2003 10:06:18 -0400, <[email protected]>, "Raymo853"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On the Canadian flag jersey issue, I have had many EU friends rant about how that hate Canadians
>since they always make sure to cover themselves with the maple leaf and their second or third
>sentence upon meeting someone mentions they are Canadian.

So as not to be mistaken for yankees covered in maple leaves hoping to pass themselves off
as canucks.

I play "spot the yank" at the grocery store when I notice license plates from the US in the parking
lot. Even before opening their mouths, they're obvious to an experienced observer in quite
unflattering ways.
--
zk

I would be interested to know how you can spot the Yanks. I'm going to France next month, and would
prefer to blend in.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]>

> I play "spot the yank" at the grocery store when I notice license plates from the US in the
> parking lot. Even before opening their mouths, they're obvious to an experienced observer in quite
> unflattering ways.
> --
> zk

Fri, 09 May 2003 18:20:11 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Joe Nordic"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I would be interested to know how you can spot the Yanks. I'm going to France next month, and would
>prefer to blend in.
>
>Joe

Cheap shoes, tacky polyester clothes, gaudy jewellery and fat asses.
--
zk

There is no way I would buy this jersey.

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to
wear
> >this jersey Nashbar is selling, do you think I would make some
folks
> >angry?
>
> My guess is that it would just reinforce their opinion of
American's.
>
> My guess is though that you aren't really going, this is just a
troll.
>
> Jon Isaacs

And it was Mayor Bloomberg's statement on that that made me decide to go.

"Mike Hilb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:yVFua.35054$A%[email protected]...
> I second the opinion this guy is trolling. BTW, watch the tour on TV, going there just helps
> support their
economy.
>
> "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >I am going to France this summer to watch the tour. If I were to
wear
> > >this jersey Nashbar is selling, do you think I would make some
folks
> > >angry?
> >
> > My guess is that it would just reinforce their opinion of
American's.
> >
> > My guess is though that you aren't really going, this is just a
troll.
> >
> > Jon Isaacs
> >
>

In article <[email protected]>,
"Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> writes:

> I would be interested to know how you can spot the Yanks.

The talent for eating while afoot seems to be unique to Americans. Whether it's big, soft,
mustard-dipped pretzels (yum), ice cream cones, pizza-by-the slice, roast turkey joints,
hot-brine-dipped pastrami sandwiches, or whatever -- if you see somebody stuffing their face while
walking down the sidewalk, chances are, they're American.

I acknowledge some certain things are best eaten while standing -- like drippy jelly doughnuts, or
hot dogs with enough mustard on 'em. Shoes are generally easier to clean than pants. But _walking_
and eating is an whole other level.

cheers, Tom

--