Jersey question

JTEK

Jul 26, 2004
Ok, I don't know if this is a stupid question (probably is) but are you suppose to wear stuff under your jersey? I'm a newb to cycling and I just got my first jersey. I know on TdF they didn't wear anything under them, but do most people wear something underneath to keep them cleaner?

JTEK said:
Ok, I don't know if this is a stupid question (probably is) but are you suppose to wear stuff under your jersey? I'm a newb to cycling and I just got my first jersey. I know on TdF they didn't wear anything under them, but do most people wear something underneath to keep them cleaner?
Hi there

I dont really care for what you're "supposed" to do, but if the weathers warm then I wear a short sleeve without anything underneath, this makes best use of the wicking qualities of the jersey. If its cold I wear enough layers of technical fabrics that all help with the wicking process.
Theres no point in wearing clothing in such a way to keep it clean.. wear it and wash it.

Hi,

Wear what you want I say, ive been wearing team jersey/bibs for the last few months and wear nothing underneath other than some underwear that i wear normaly. When it comes to the summer months you dont want to ply on the layers as you will only end up getting overheated. Only the other day i went out in a jersey that was made from a slighty thicker material than normal as my normal jersey needed a wash, and I really got hot.

First of all, as stated, wear what you want! In practical terms, cycling clothes are generally made of materials that are specifically designed to breath and release perspiration very quickly. And in the case of shorts/bibs, the chamois is designed to be against your skin. So if you really want the clothing to perform the way it was designed, wear nothing underneath.

I agree with the others about wearing what you want. Although wearing the jersey with nothing underneath will make you cooler on those hot days and as it goes into spring and the weather starts to cool down, but not enough for long sleeves, a singlet or t-shirt underneath can be great to stop you from getting chilled. Whatever feels comfortable.