Jersey question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I have a jersey conundrum.

    I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
    couple of new short sleeved jerseys.

    Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:

    a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
    there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
    b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

    Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I have a jersey conundrum.
    <snip>

    I'm similar to you. I don't like the idea of being a walking advert (and often having to pay more
    for the privilege of being one!). I wear plain cycling tops, usually verging on the eye-pokingly
    bright side of the spectrum. They do give your face a strange greeny/yellowy glow in any photographs
    though :-\ In the end, go for one you like the look and fit of and sod what anyone else says (works
    for me) :)

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Mark
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I have a jersey conundrum.
    >
    >I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
    >couple of new short sleeved jerseys.
    >
    >Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
    >
    >a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
    > there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
    >b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    > place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.
    >
    >Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.
    >
    >Mark

    This isn't something that would bother me but, if you want to make a statement, buy a couple of
    Assos jerseys. Everyone knows that they cost a fortune! On the other hand, you could have made a
    different sort of statement by buying some of the excellent jerseys sold by Lidl a couple of weeks
    ago. Everyone knows they're cheap!
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. >On the other hand, you could have made a different sort of statement by buying some of the
    >excellent jerseys sold by Lidl a couple of weeks ago. Everyone knows they're cheap!

    Not cheap, Michael, not cheap. They are *excellent value* ;-)

    Cheers, helen s :)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > I'm similar to you. I don't like the idea of being a walking advert (and often having to pay more
    > for the privilege of being one!).

    Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than the
    US Postal & ONCE teams!

    Mark

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
    >
    > a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
    > there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
    > b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    > place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

    If you want to look like a cyclist but not a sandwich-board man take a look at Myra's photos on
    http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/photos.html for examples of how you can look the part without wearing
    trade jerseys.

    What is the real problem here? Are you having trouble finding cycling gear you like, or are you
    worried about being sneered at by poseurs? Why should you care what shallow people think about
    you anyway?

    BTW if you're going to do the mountains in a short sleeved vest you should also be thinking about
    arm warmers and light jackets that can be stuffed into your pockets. It can get mighty cold at the
    top and going down.

    --
    Dave...

  7. "> a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any
    > particular teams and there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of
    > my mind), and
    > b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    > place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

    Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one from a
    neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).

    Robert

  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one from
    > a neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).

    Where can you get them from?

    (My similar line of thinking re: US removed the USPS shirt from the list of jerseys to buy)

    Thanks,

    Mark

  9. "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a jersey conundrum.
    >
    > I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
    > couple of new short sleeved jerseys.
    >
    > Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
    >
    > a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for
    any
    > particular teams and there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of
    > my mind), and
    > b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I
    am).
    > But I'd feel out of place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.
    >
    > Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.
    >
    > Mark
    Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.

    Ken ;-)

  10. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Getronic Engineer wrote:

    > Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.
    >
    > Ken ;-)

    Nah - I dont see why. I wear a yellow jersey quite a lot. I thought hang on its the TdF leaders
    jersey and I'd look like a poser, but then I thought sod that, I may as well go for yellow as it is
    a high-vis colour, and a sensible colour to wear when on a bike. As I'm not trying to claim that
    either I won the tour de France or that I'm a pro cyclist I couldnt really give a toss if other
    people are saying that.

    Maybe if I had a carbon fibre trek and a USPS yellow jersey it would be another matter!

    :)

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  11. Getronic Engineer wrote:

    > Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.

    You can often pick up last years "yellow jerseys" very cheaply so if you have the strength of legs
    or strength of character to wear them you can get good quality shirts for a snip.

    --
    Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

  12. "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one
    > > from a neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).
    >
    > Where can you get them from?
    >
    > (My similar line of thinking re: US removed the USPS shirt from the list of jerseys to buy)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    You can get the UK jersey from impsport - they are on the web. But probably not the best thing to
    wear in France. My favourites are the old woolen ones which crop up every now and then on e-bay. But
    really you can just walk into any bike shop and see what they have - they are about 20 quid. Another
    option would be to find a large shop - Carrefour or Go-Sport or Decathlon while you are in france
    and buy a plain jersey or two from there. Finally there's always good old Ron Hill. His stuff seems
    to be everywhere, and is the epitome of nondescriptness.

    HTH SteveP

  13. In message <[email protected]>, stephen pridgeon
    <[email protected]> writes
    >You can get the UK jersey from impsport - they are on the web. But probably not the best thing to
    >wear in France.

    Does anyone really have any evidence that things have got so bad between Britain and France that one
    shouldn't wear a national shirt or, I suppose, open one's mouth? Are Brits getting mugged on the
    streets of Paris?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  14. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    "Chris Gerhard" <[email protected]_btclick.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Getronic Engineer wrote:
    > >
    > > Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.
    > >

    > You can often pick up last years "yellow jerseys" very cheaply so if you have the strength of legs
    > or strength of character to wear them you can
    get
    > good quality shirts for a snip.
    >

    > --
    > Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

    I hadn't thought of that. I have a yellow jersey (two, in fact). I'm assuming I'm so bad at cycling
    that despite wearing yellow, there's NO-ONE that'd be under any impression that I'm even half-way
    entitled to be wearing a yellow jersey, OR wearing it to make out I'm an astonishingly accomplished
    roadie....

    Velvet

  15. <snip> Are Brits getting mugged on the streets of Paris? </snip>

    Yep...have you *SEEN* the price of a cup of coffee over there! :p

    Regards,

    ---------------------------
    Peter Connolly UK

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
    > there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
    > b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    > place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

    c) train a lot and wear an old t-shirt and jeans while you blow them all away on the climbs ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  17. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Why not get a jersey from your local club or shop?

    > Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
    > > there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
    > > b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
    > > place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.
    > >

    > c) train a lot and wear an old t-shirt and jeans while you blow them all away on the climbs ;-)
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    > adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    > Bernard Shaw

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:04:26 +0100, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone really have any evidence that things have got so bad between Britain and France that
    >one shouldn't wear a national shirt or, I suppose, open one's mouth? Are Brits getting mugged on
    >the streets of Paris?

    Hi Michael

    I read in a recent Daily Mail that a new French restaurant has just opened in the US, in Utah, IIRC.
    Their advertising slogan runs along the lines of "We're so French, we hate ourselves."

    It's all very pathetic, IMO, albeit rather funny, as is the way that the White House now calls
    "French Fries" "Freedom Fries". IMO, they're called chips.

    I assume the biggest cycling race in the world will now be referred to as the Tour of Old Europe,
    subdivsion the country formerly known as France.

    James

    PS Guy isn't here at the moment so I don't need to say sorry for reading the Mail.
    PP I'd better apologize to Myra just in case.

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  19. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than the
    > US Postal & ONCE teams!

    My daughter's a big Barbie fan (the doll, not Klaus), and thinks I should get a Team Deutsche
    Telekom jersey - a nice shade of pink.

  20. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 14 Apr 2003 07:41:09 -0700, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

    >"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than
    >> the US Postal & ONCE teams!
    >
    >My daughter's a big Barbie fan (the doll, not Klaus), and thinks I should get a Team Deutsche
    >Telekom jersey - a nice shade of pink.

    Or ONCE. (Pink again this year, I think). I've got too fat ^W^W^W^W My old one appears to
    have shrunk.

    Tim