Jersey question

Mark

Guest
I have a jersey conundrum.

I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
couple of new short sleeved jerseys.

Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:

a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.

Mark

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have a jersey conundrum.
<snip>

I'm similar to you. I don't like the idea of being a walking advert (and often having to pay more
for the privilege of being one!). I wear plain cycling tops, usually verging on the eye-pokingly
bright side of the spectrum. They do give your face a strange greeny/yellowy glow in any photographs
though :-\ In the end, go for one you like the look and fit of and sod what anyone else says (works
for me) :)

Have fun!

Graeme

In message <[email protected]>, Mark
<[email protected]> writes
>I have a jersey conundrum.
>
>I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
>couple of new short sleeved jerseys.
>
>Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
>
>a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
> there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
>b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
> place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.
>
>Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.
>
>Mark

This isn't something that would bother me but, if you want to make a statement, buy a couple of
Assos jerseys. Everyone knows that they cost a fortune! On the other hand, you could have made a
different sort of statement by buying some of the excellent jerseys sold by Lidl a couple of weeks
ago. Everyone knows they're cheap!
--
Michael MacClancy

>On the other hand, you could have made a different sort of statement by buying some of the
>excellent jerseys sold by Lidl a couple of weeks ago. Everyone knows they're cheap!

Not cheap, Michael, not cheap. They are *excellent value* ;-)

Cheers, helen s :)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> I'm similar to you. I don't like the idea of being a walking advert (and often having to pay more
> for the privilege of being one!).

Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than the
US Postal & ONCE teams!

Mark

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
>
> a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
> there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
> b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
> place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

If you want to look like a cyclist but not a sandwich-board man take a look at Myra's photos on
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/photos.html for examples of how you can look the part without wearing
trade jerseys.

What is the real problem here? Are you having trouble finding cycling gear you like, or are you
worried about being sneered at by poseurs? Why should you care what shallow people think about
you anyway?

BTW if you're going to do the mountains in a short sleeved vest you should also be thinking about
arm warmers and light jackets that can be stuffed into your pockets. It can get mighty cold at the
top and going down.

--
Dave...

"> a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any
> particular teams and there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of
> my mind), and
> b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
> place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one from a
neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).

Robert

> Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one from
> a neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).

Where can you get them from?

(My similar line of thinking re: US removed the USPS shirt from the list of jerseys to buy)

Thanks,

Mark

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a jersey conundrum.
>
> I'm probably going on holiday in June to France to do some cycling up mountains. I also need a
> couple of new short sleeved jerseys.
>
> Having had a look online, I find myself lost between:
>
> a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for
any
> particular teams and there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of
> my mind), and
> b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I
am).
> But I'd feel out of place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.
>
> Probably an odd subject to raise. I dunno.
>
> Mark
Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.

Ken ;-)

Getronic Engineer wrote:

> Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.
>
> Ken ;-)

Nah - I dont see why. I wear a yellow jersey quite a lot. I thought hang on its the TdF leaders
jersey and I'd look like a poser, but then I thought sod that, I may as well go for yellow as it is
a high-vis colour, and a sensible colour to wear when on a bike. As I'm not trying to claim that
either I won the tour de France or that I'm a pro cyclist I couldnt really give a toss if other
people are saying that.

Maybe if I had a carbon fibre trek and a USPS yellow jersey it would be another matter!

:)

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

Getronic Engineer wrote:

> Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.

You can often pick up last years "yellow jerseys" very cheaply so if you have the strength of legs
or strength of character to wear them you can get good quality shirts for a snip.

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Howsabout getting a 'national' jersey they're pretty plain on the whole and you could get one
> > from a neutral country (a stars and stipes might not be the best choice for a French holiday).
>
> Where can you get them from?
>
> (My similar line of thinking re: US removed the USPS shirt from the list of jerseys to buy)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

You can get the UK jersey from impsport - they are on the web. But probably not the best thing to
wear in France. My favourites are the old woolen ones which crop up every now and then on e-bay. But
really you can just walk into any bike shop and see what they have - they are about 20 quid. Another
option would be to find a large shop - Carrefour or Go-Sport or Decathlon while you are in france
and buy a plain jersey or two from there. Finally there's always good old Ron Hill. His stuff seems
to be everywhere, and is the epitome of nondescriptness.

HTH SteveP

In message <[email protected]>, stephen pridgeon
<[email protected]> writes
>You can get the UK jersey from impsport - they are on the web. But probably not the best thing to
>wear in France.

Does anyone really have any evidence that things have got so bad between Britain and France that one
shouldn't wear a national shirt or, I suppose, open one's mouth? Are Brits getting mugged on the
streets of Paris?
--
Michael MacClancy

"Chris Gerhard" <no_spam@not_btclick.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Getronic Engineer wrote:
> >
> > Steer clear of yellow unless you're really that good.
> >

> You can often pick up last years "yellow jerseys" very cheaply so if you have the strength of legs
> or strength of character to wear them you can
get
> good quality shirts for a snip.
>

> --
> Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

I hadn't thought of that. I have a yellow jersey (two, in fact). I'm assuming I'm so bad at cycling
that despite wearing yellow, there's NO-ONE that'd be under any impression that I'm even half-way
entitled to be wearing a yellow jersey, OR wearing it to make out I'm an astonishingly accomplished
roadie....

Velvet

<snip> Are Brits getting mugged on the streets of Paris? </snip>

Yep...have you *SEEN* the price of a cup of coffee over there! :p

Regards,

---------------------------
Peter Connolly UK

Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> a) getting a team jersey, which doesn't appeal to me (no preference for any particular teams and
> there's the "walking advert!" taunts which are always lurking in the back of my mind), and
> b) getting a plain jersey, so others will think I'm an amateur (which I am). But I'd feel out of
> place as probably everyone else will be wearing team stuff.

c) train a lot and wear an old t-shirt and jeans while you blow them all away on the climbs ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

Why not get a jersey from your local club or shop?

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:04:26 +0100, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone really have any evidence that things have got so bad between Britain and France that
>one shouldn't wear a national shirt or, I suppose, open one's mouth? Are Brits getting mugged on
>the streets of Paris?

Hi Michael

I read in a recent Daily Mail that a new French restaurant has just opened in the US, in Utah, IIRC.
Their advertising slogan runs along the lines of "We're so French, we hate ourselves."

It's all very pathetic, IMO, albeit rather funny, as is the way that the White House now calls
"French Fries" "Freedom Fries". IMO, they're called chips.

I assume the biggest cycling race in the world will now be referred to as the Tour of Old Europe,
subdivsion the country formerly known as France.

James

PS Guy isn't here at the moment so I don't need to say sorry for reading the Mail.
PP I'd better apologize to Myra just in case.

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than the
> US Postal & ONCE teams!

My daughter's a big Barbie fan (the doll, not Klaus), and thinks I should get a Team Deutsche
Telekom jersey - a nice shade of pink.

On 14 Apr 2003 07:41:09 -0700, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

>"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> Is there a team that consistently finishes at the bottom of the list? They'd need support than
>> the US Postal & ONCE teams!
>
>My daughter's a big Barbie fan (the doll, not Klaus), and thinks I should get a Team Deutsche
>Telekom jersey - a nice shade of pink.

Or ONCE. (Pink again this year, I think). I've got too fat ^W^W^W^W My old one appears to
have shrunk.

Tim