Jersey Shore Ride...or

NYRides

Guest
I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you guys
and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.

If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern point
near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a rail
station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to Trenton
also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
http://www.riverline.com/
http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
> daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

guys
> and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
> fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
>
> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

point
> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

rail
> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

Bill: You're just the guy I was hoping would respond! While I have your
attention, what about a route that takes in the D&R Feeder from New
Brunswick to Trenton, then a road route into Philadelphia?

Tom M ([email protected])

"Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
> bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
> Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
> Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to Trenton
> also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
> http://www.riverline.com/
> http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html
>
> "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
> > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

> guys
> > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
> > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that

closely.

> > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

> point
> > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

> rail
> > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
> > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

go
> > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
> > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

Thanks, good seeing your posts, you get around quite a bit.
Sure, the route that I gave to the East coast Greenway, not the pretties but
doable until the path along the Delaware river is done on the Norfolk RR
right away. http://www.billcotton.com/Bill cotton cue sheets.htm also
on my web are cue from Philly to FT Lee that crosses the Delaware at
Washington Crossing. Where the BicyclePA S route starts
http://www.billcotton.com/bikepa_s_route.htm
From Philly to the shore, I have several cues. Also to the DelMar sea
Shores. using the Delaware Bicycle Route 1
http://www.billcotton.com/delaware1.htm
"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill: You're just the guy I was hoping would respond! While I have your
> attention, what about a route that takes in the D&R Feeder from New
> Brunswick to Trenton, then a road route into Philadelphia?
>
> Tom M ([email protected])
>
> "Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
> > bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
> > Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
> > Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to

Trenton
> > also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
> > http://www.riverline.com/
> > http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html
> >
> > "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
> > > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

> > guys
> > > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although

I'm
> > > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that

> closely.
> > >
> > > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

> > point
> > > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

> > rail
> > > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd

say
> > > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

> go
> > > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY.

Or
> > > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
John
"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
> daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

guys
> and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
> fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
>
> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

point
> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

rail
> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

Answering two questions at once.

First, the Jersey shore rides: Try www.bikehighway.com. Lotsa good cue
sheets. Also Ride Guide South Jersey by Alex and Nancy May, 25 Short Bike
Rides in New Jersey by Robert Santelli, 30 Bike Rides in New Jersey by Arline
Zatz, or Coasting Along by Kurt B. Detwiler.

As for rail stations, the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line leaves from Penn
Station. The last stop is Bay Head, Ocean County.

Second: I don't know of any multipurpose trails in Sandy Hook. There are the
park roads (in the Santelli book) which are low traffic (on weekdays anyway)
and flatter than yesterday's beer and quite scenic. Be sure to stop at
Gunnison Beach for that all-over suntan :).

You might be thinking of the Henry Hudson Trail, which runs about 10 miles from
Aberdeen to Atlantic Highlands. It's currently being extended 12 miles
southwest to Freehold and supposed to be ready next year. I also understand
they're planning to extend it east to Sandy Hook. Check the Monmouth County
parks website.

>I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
>the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
>rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
>completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
>John
>"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
>> daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

>guys
>> and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
>> fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
>>
>> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

>point
>> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

>rail
>> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
>> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
>> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
>> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

>Subject: Re: Jersey Shore Ride...or

reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.freenet.
de!news.shlink.de!news2.telebyte.nl!news.glorb.com!prodigy.com!newsmst01a.
news.prodigy.com!prodigy.co
>m!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr15.news.prodigy.com.POSTED!293c5630!

not-for-mail
>From: "John Maher" [email protected]
>Newsgroups: nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.rides

N[ZOE_AZNVO^\XGGNTCIRPIJH[@RQKBXLRZ@CD^HKANYV

Diana B., LPN
Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox

Money doesn't buy happiness.
Poverty doesn't buy anything.

I took a chance on this past Sunday and went to Sandy Hook. There is indeed
a pathway there for cycling. skating, running.....multipurpose. It is about
a seven mile loop and was an easy ride for this 71 year old. John
"JerZ Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

closely.

> >> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

> >point
> >> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

> >rail
> >> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
> >> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

go
> >> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
> >> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

> >Subject: Re: Jersey Shore Ride...or

> reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.freenet.
> de!news.shlink.de!news2.telebyte.nl!news.glorb.com!prodigy.com!newsmst01a.
> news.prodigy.com!prodigy.co
> >m!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr15.news.prodigy.com.POSTED!293c5630!

Jul

"John Maher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
> the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
> rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
> completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
> John

I don't know anything about a multipurpose path in Sandy Hook.

The last time we rode the 12-13 mile round trip loop through the park
was two years ago. It was a delightful ride even in the middle of
August. We had to share the road with the cars, but that was not a
problem. After you pass the beach area (rest rooms and water
available), the traffic is minimal.

We even rode south for another 6 miles out of the park and the ride
was pleasant even with all the summer traffic.

Lewis

From what I have been able to gather the path was under construction for a
couple years and just opened this past April. It is a very nice ride..
John
"Lewis Metzger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Maher" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't

know
> > the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
> > rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
> > completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
> > John

> I don't know anything about a multipurpose path in Sandy Hook.
>
> The last time we rode the 12-13 mile round trip loop through the park
> was two years ago. It was a delightful ride even in the middle of
> August. We had to share the road with the cars, but that was not a
> problem. After you pass the beach area (rest rooms and water
> available), the traffic is minimal.
>
> We even rode south for another 6 miles out of the park and the ride
> was pleasant even with all the summer traffic.
>
> Lewis

And the nice thing is that when you finish you can peel off your
clothes and go for a dip in the ocean at the clothes optional beach.

John Maher wrote:

> From what I have been able to gather the path was under construction for a
> couple years and just opened this past April. It is a very nice ride..
> John

They had just completed the last section a couple of weeks ago, and now
you can ride from the toll booth to the picnic area near the lighthouse
without interruption.
GH