Jersey Shore Ride...or

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by NYRides, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you guys
    and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
    fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.

    If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern point
    near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a rail
    station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
    the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

    Tags:

  2. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

    Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
    bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
    Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
    Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to Trenton
    also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
    http://www.riverline.com/
    http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

    guys
    > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
    > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
    >
    > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    point
    > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    rail
    > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
    > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

  3. NYRides

    NYRides Guest

    Bill: You're just the guy I was hoping would respond! While I have your
    attention, what about a route that takes in the D&R Feeder from New
    Brunswick to Trenton, then a road route into Philadelphia?

    Tom M ([email protected])

    "Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
    > bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
    > Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
    > Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to Trenton
    > also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
    > http://www.riverline.com/
    > http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html
    >
    > "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    > > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    > > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

    > guys
    > > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
    > > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that

    closely.

    > > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    > point
    > > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    > rail
    > > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    > > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

    go
    > > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    > > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

  4. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

    Thanks, good seeing your posts, you get around quite a bit.
    Sure, the route that I gave to the East coast Greenway, not the pretties but
    doable until the path along the Delaware river is done on the Norfolk RR
    right away. http://www.billcotton.com/Bill cotton cue sheets.htm also
    on my web are cue from Philly to FT Lee that crosses the Delaware at
    Washington Crossing. Where the BicyclePA S route starts
    http://www.billcotton.com/bikepa_s_route.htm
    From Philly to the shore, I have several cues. Also to the DelMar sea
    Shores. using the Delaware Bicycle Route 1
    http://www.billcotton.com/delaware1.htm
    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bill: You're just the guy I was hoping would respond! While I have your
    > attention, what about a route that takes in the D&R Feeder from New
    > Brunswick to Trenton, then a road route into Philadelphia?
    >
    > Tom M ([email protected])
    >
    > "Bill Cotton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Cape May trains aren't carrying passenger at this time.. NJT buses has
    > > bicycle racks, maybe 100%. Atlantic City has NJT trains to Philly 30th
    > > Street train station for connection to Trenton. Or you can change in
    > > Lindenwold to the PATCO line to Camden, then use the River Line to

    Trenton
    > > also. http://www.njtransit.com/ http://www.bikemap.com/transit/de.htm
    > > http://www.riverline.com/
    > > http://www.nj.com/njtransit/agate.ssf?/njtransit/acl_w_mf.html
    > >
    > > "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]
    > > > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    > > > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

    > > guys
    > > > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although

    I'm
    > > > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that

    > closely.
    > > >
    > > > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    > > point
    > > > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    > > rail
    > > > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd

    say
    > > > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

    > go
    > > > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY.

    Or
    > > > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

  5. John Maher

    John Maher Guest

    I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
    the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
    rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
    completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
    John
    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    > daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

    guys
    > and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
    > fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
    >
    > If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    point
    > near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    rail
    > station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    > 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
    > the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    > should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

  6. JerZ Fox

    JerZ Fox Guest

    Answering two questions at once.

    First, the Jersey shore rides: Try www.bikehighway.com. Lotsa good cue
    sheets. Also Ride Guide South Jersey by Alex and Nancy May, 25 Short Bike
    Rides in New Jersey by Robert Santelli, 30 Bike Rides in New Jersey by Arline
    Zatz, or Coasting Along by Kurt B. Detwiler.

    As for rail stations, the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line leaves from Penn
    Station. The last stop is Bay Head, Ocean County.

    Second: I don't know of any multipurpose trails in Sandy Hook. There are the
    park roads (in the Santelli book) which are low traffic (on weekdays anyway)
    and flatter than yesterday's beer and quite scenic. Be sure to stop at
    Gunnison Beach for that all-over suntan :).

    You might be thinking of the Henry Hudson Trail, which runs about 10 miles from
    Aberdeen to Atlantic Highlands. It's currently being extended 12 miles
    southwest to Freehold and supposed to be ready next year. I also understand
    they're planning to extend it east to Sandy Hook. Check the Monmouth County
    parks website.

    >I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
    >the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
    >rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
    >completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
    >John
    >"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]
    >> I'm feeling strong and healthy on the bike this year and I've been
    >> daydreaming about another multi-day trip this summer. A couple of you

    >guys
    >> and girls got me pretty psyched to do the Jersey shoreline, although I'm
    >> fully aware the available routes don't really hug the shore that closely.
    >>
    >> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    >point
    >> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    >rail
    >> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    >> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and go
    >> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    >> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

    >Subject: Re: Jersey Shore Ride...or

    reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.freenet.
    de!news.shlink.de!news2.telebyte.nl!news.glorb.com!prodigy.com!newsmst01a.
    news.prodigy.com!prodigy.co
    >m!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr15.news.prodigy.com.POSTED!293c5630!

    not-for-mail
    >From: "John Maher" [email protected]
    >Newsgroups: nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.rides

    N[ZOE_AZNVO^\XGGNTCIRPIJH[@[email protected]^HKANYV

    Diana B., LPN
    Diva Nurse

    The JerZ Fox

    Money doesn't buy happiness.
    Poverty doesn't buy anything.

  7. John Maher

    John Maher Guest

    I took a chance on this past Sunday and went to Sandy Hook. There is indeed
    a pathway there for cycling. skating, running.....multipurpose. It is about
    a seven mile loop and was an easy ride for this 71 year old. John
    "JerZ Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    closely.

    > >> If I only have 2-3 days, can somebody suggest a route from a northern

    > >point
    > >> near a rail station (I live on Long Island) to a southern point near a

    > >rail
    > >> station (preferably Cape May)? I don't want to kill myself, so I'd say
    > >> 50-60 miles a day is good. To make optimum use of the riding time and

    go
    > >> the furthest distance, I figured I would take the train back to NY. Or
    > >> should I take a train down to the southern end and ride my way back?

    > >Subject: Re: Jersey Shore Ride...or

    > reader.com!newsfeed.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.freenet.
    > de!news.shlink.de!news2.telebyte.nl!news.glorb.com!prodigy.com!newsmst01a.
    > news.prodigy.com!prodigy.co
    > >m!postmaster.news.prodigy.com!newssvr15.news.prodigy.com.POSTED!293c5630!

    Jul

  8. "John Maher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
    > the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
    > rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
    > completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
    > John

    I don't know anything about a multipurpose path in Sandy Hook.

    The last time we rode the 12-13 mile round trip loop through the park
    was two years ago. It was a delightful ride even in the middle of
    August. We had to share the road with the cars, but that was not a
    problem. After you pass the beach area (rest rooms and water
    available), the traffic is minimal.

    We even rode south for another 6 miles out of the park and the ride
    was pleasant even with all the summer traffic.

    Lewis

  9. John Maher

    John Maher Guest

    From what I have been able to gather the path was under construction for a
    couple years and just opened this past April. It is a very nice ride..
    John
    "Lewis Metzger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "John Maher" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't

    know
    > > the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
    > > rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
    > > completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
    > > John

    > I don't know anything about a multipurpose path in Sandy Hook.
    >
    > The last time we rode the 12-13 mile round trip loop through the park
    > was two years ago. It was a delightful ride even in the middle of
    > August. We had to share the road with the cars, but that was not a
    > problem. After you pass the beach area (rest rooms and water
    > available), the traffic is minimal.
    >
    > We even rode south for another 6 miles out of the park and the ride
    > was pleasant even with all the summer traffic.
    >
    > Lewis

  10. And the nice thing is that when you finish you can peel off your
    clothes and go for a dip in the ocean at the clothes optional beach.

    [email protected] (Lewis Metzger) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John Maher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I know I'm not answering the question here but that's because I don't know
    > > the answer. Please forgive the intrusion. Since the topic is about NJ
    > > rides does any one know if the multipurpose path at Sandy Hook has been
    > > completed and can it be used for cycling? Any info will be appreciated.
    > > John

    > I don't know anything about a multipurpose path in Sandy Hook.
    >
    > The last time we rode the 12-13 mile round trip loop through the park
    > was two years ago. It was a delightful ride even in the middle of
    > August. We had to share the road with the cars, but that was not a
    > problem. After you pass the beach area (rest rooms and water
    > available), the traffic is minimal.
    >
    > We even rode south for another 6 miles out of the park and the ride
    > was pleasant even with all the summer traffic.
    >
    > Lewis

  11. cc011

    cc011 Guest

    John Maher wrote:

    > From what I have been able to gather the path was under construction for a
    > couple years and just opened this past April. It is a very nice ride..
    > John

    They had just completed the last section a couple of weeks ago, and now
    you can ride from the toll booth to the picnic area near the lighthouse
    without interruption.
    GH