Jersey sizing

leamcorp

Jul 7, 2007
Hi, I'm new and didn't know where to post this - sorry if its in a wrong section.

I have a question regarding jersy sizing. I typically wear a large T-shirt or workout shirt (wear medium or size 32 pants). The problem I'm having is that nothing seems to fit. When I try a large size, I can't even get it over my shoulder and XL isn't much better. I've also tried XXL and I did get it in, but it feel so tight that its uncomfortable.

Questions are,

1) Are they supposed to be that tight fitting?
2) Does anyone know where to get a atheretic cut jersey's (What I mean is that when I buy a suit, I typically buy atheletic cut suit and even then they have to decrease the pant size).

Currently I'm wearing UnderArmor type of shirts and it works fine (with sweat or wind resistance), but I always feel like odd one out because I'm not wearing a cycling jersey.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: forgot to add, I wear medium size cycling shorts. I could wear small size shorts, but the elastic band on the leg is too tight, so I went with medium.

I am far larger than the average cyclist (6'4" 285 lbs.) and I found a great company that specializes in Big and Tall cycling jerseys and shorts. I have a few of their jerseys and so far the quality seems to be pretty good.

Aerotech Designs

Thank you for the link, I'll definitely check it out.

I'm coming to a resigned conclusion that I'm probably not the model when they designed these cloths (I see most are slender on the magazine pics).

I am shorter than most at 5-7 but with a very wide shoulder/arm size. Further compounding the problem is my waist size, which is 32. Typically when I buy a suit, the size of jacket I buy comes with 36 to 40 pant, which makes it very difficult for any tailor to trim that much. These days, I just have my suit made (not much more than a off the rack price from my local tailor).

If anyone's built like me, let me know what you are wearing.

Cheers

Green Jello said:
I am far larger than the average cyclist (6'4" 285 lbs.) and I found a great company that specializes in Big and Tall cycling jerseys and shorts. I have a few of their jerseys and so far the quality seems to be pretty good.

Aerotech Designs

There is little to no standardization in cycling clothing sizing between brands. The Euro brands tend to run smaller in my experience. There are also varying styles of fit, and varying stretchiness of fabrics. I would ignore what size is printed on the jersey/shorts and go by what feels comfortable. I have everything from M-XL that fit me well in jerseys, depending on the brand and I am 5'10" tall and about 150 lbs. I am S-M in shorts/bibs, again depending on brand--actually just returned a pair of Giordana (M) bibs because the bib part was too short.

Typically I don't have a problem buying cloth when its seperates, but with cycling jersey, it was difficult. I've must tried on 20 different shirts from large (all of them felt like small), xl (felt like small to medium), xxl (felt like medium to slightly less than medium). They didn't have much choice at xxl size, so I've only tried on 2 shirts.

Even if xxl or xxxl worked, which I haven't found one yet, the problem now is the length and the fitment around my torso. With xxl, the length is now too long and flumpy around my torso area. I'd just wished they made something like UnderArmour like cut, which is wide at top and narrow around the waist.

I guess one other question I have is - do you care if one of the rider in your group looks odd because he isn't wearing a cycling jersey? I'm very self conscious about my appearance and it sort of matters to me.

John M said:
There is little to no standardization in cycling clothing sizing between brands. The Euro brands tend to run smaller in my experience. There are also varying styles of fit, and varying stretchiness of fabrics. I would ignore what size is printed on the jersey/shorts and go by what feels comfortable. I have everything from M-XL that fit me well in jerseys, depending on the brand and I am 5'10" tall and about 150 lbs. I am S-M in shorts/bibs, again depending on brand--actually just returned a pair of Giordana (M) bibs because the bib part was too short.

From what I gather, you have a muscular build with large chest/shoulders and small waist--and you are not that tall. As such, you may have difficulty getting a cycling specific jersey off the rack. You might consider getting some of those XXLs that fit across the chest/shoulders and having them taken in along the waist--kind of like what you probably have done with a suit jacket. Or look into a custom made jersey, where you find someone to make some, I don't know. UnderArmor is made for the football build types like yourself, plus its really stretchy fabric.

Personally, I don't care what anyone wears, as long as they are polite, follow the rules of the road, and ride safely (including wearing a helmet). UnderArmor with combat boots and cut-offs would be fine for me.

Personally, I don't care what anyone wears, as long as they are polite, follow the rules of the road, and ride safely (including wearing a helmet). UnderArmor with combat boots and cut-offs would be fine for me.[/QUOTE]

+1. If it works wear it. I see a lot of cyclist using UnderArmour or Reebok or any moisture wicking fabric that works. Personally, I like jerseys strictly for the pockets. They really save space in my seat bag. But that's about it. No other advantages over my other moisture wicking fabric.

rwinthenorth said:
Personally, I don't care what anyone wears, as long as they are polite, follow the rules of the road, and ride safely (including wearing a helmet). UnderArmor with combat boots and cut-offs would be fine for me.

+1. If it works wear it. I see a lot of cyclist using UnderArmour or Reebok or any moisture wicking fabric that works. Personally, I like jerseys strictly for the pockets. They really save space in my seat bag. But that's about it. No other advantages over my other moisture wicking fabric.[/QUOTE]Im using wal-mart brand "wicking" shirts, they work pretty nice. The champion long sleeve i have is much better, its around $40, my mom picked it up on clearance for 7 bucks! Also, Nike's dri-fit has come down in price, they have some very light weight t-shirts for 15-20 depending on if they are on sale.

when i lose weight, ill buy an actual cycling jersey for the pockets...they would come in SOO handy for bars/gels/wallet, etc.

Yes, UnderArmour (or Nike/Reebok or others) do stretch quite a bit, so its more form fitting than any cycle specific jersey's I've tried.

I'm not sure why I'm caught up on wearing right clothing (rather than riding skill or upgrading cycle parts) - but I do. Still I'll put it in back end of all my worries. I'll keep searching though. Thanks.

Jerseys are suppossed to be tight. Euro sizing is usually +1 size down from US; ie; a Euro XL fits like a US L. Also, there is a tighter race cut vs. a more relaxed recreational cut. Under Armour stuff is nice, but the big benefit of a cycling jersey is the stuff you can stow in the rear pockets.

Good Luck on finding something that fits. I am relatively new to the sport and only have two cycling jerseys, so sometimes I will wear my running shirts. They are made of some kind of wicking material. I think the brand is Hind. They fit great and are good when the weather is hot.

I sometimes wonder what the other cyclists think when they see me. The thought doesn't last long, cause I just blow by them and keep on riding. :cool:

I am 6' and weigh 195.

Here are some of the sizes I wear;

Shorts
Descente - Medium
Assos - Large
Pearl Izumi - Medium

Jerseys
Descente - Large
Assos - XXXL (XXL is skin tight)
Pear Izumi - Large

Bibs
Descente - Large
Assos - XLarge
Pear Izumi - Large

It seems like the Assos jersey's are VERY small in the shoulders and arms. The XXL fits fine in the torso & waist, but the shoulders and arms are way too tight.