Jerseys for Big, Tall, & Heavy Riders

Example.Com

Guest
SO I want to buy one of those TEAM Jerseys. It seems that XXL is equal to a size 45 (chest, or maybe
as big as 49"). I need a Double or Triple X American (52-56" Chest) and it'd be real nice if it was
a TALL also. Any place to buy this stuff in these sizes? or who actually MANUFACTURERS this stuff so
Companies (nashbar, Performance, Precaryous, etc) can put their LABEL on it??

somebody wrote:

> It seems that XXL is equal to a size 45 (chest, or maybe as big as 49"). I need a Double or Triple
> X American (52-56" Chest) and it'd be real nice if it was a TALL also. Any place to buy this stuff
> in these sizes? or who actually MANUFACTURERS this stuff so Companies (nashbar, Performance,
> Precaryous, etc) can put their LABEL on it??

Man, don't get took! Those things are foolish and homely even on Olympian physiques. And they're
expensive and plasticky to boot.

Your superior size is helping you to choose the righteous path and maintain your dignity by riding
in an appropriate shirt for the purpose: a 100% cotton t-shirt (with nothing printed on it).

Chalo Colina 4XLT

muscle, no fat, I assure you ;-) ) and I was able to find sizes there (ebay) that I could not find
anywhere else.

P.S.: Don't wear cotton. As the old saying goes, "Cotton kills". Go for a ride on a 100 degree F
day with cotton on and you will know what they meant.

"example.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> SO I want to buy one of those TEAM Jerseys. It seems that XXL is equal to a size 45 (chest, or
> maybe as big as 49"). I need a Double or Triple X American (52-56" Chest) and it'd be real nice if
> it was a TALL also. Any place to buy this stuff in these sizes? or who actually MANUFACTURERS this
> stuff so Companies (nashbar, Performance, Precaryous, etc) can put their LABEL on it??

>P.S.: Don't wear cotton. As the old saying goes, "Cotton kills". Go for a ride on a 100 degree F
> day with cotton on and you will know what they meant.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest that cotton has turned into a genetically modified, rabid, man-eating
fabric, these days there are fabrics which are a lot better than cotton for when you exercise.
Coolmax is one example, there are others.

Cheers, helen s :)

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On 26 Jun 2003 20:22:44 GMT, wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX <[email protected]> wrote:

>> P.S.: Don't wear cotton. As the old saying goes, "Cotton kills". Go for a ride on a 100 degree F
>> day with cotton on and you will know what they meant.
>
> Whilst I wouldn't suggest that cotton has turned into a genetically modified, rabid, man-eating
> fabric, these days there are fabrics which are a lot better than cotton for when you exercise.
> Coolmax is one example, there are others.
>
> Cheers, helen s :)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
> h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
> overdependence on money and fame
> ~~~~~~~~~~

While I agree that there are fabrics that are better than cotton, I've worn a lot of cotton during
rides in AZ, and I'm still alive and kicking. I still wear cotton in CT. Sure, it gets wet and never
dries, but there's the fun of it -- a nice wet shirt next your body, making it work harder.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

[email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

> P.S.: Don't wear cotton. As the old saying goes, "Cotton kills". Go for a ride on a 100 degree F
> day with cotton on and you will know what they meant.

I lived most of my life, and most of my cycling miles, in central Texas. Oftentimes each summer it
can go two months at a stretch before a day the temperature _doesn't_ reach 100F. I have ridden
literally tens of thousands of miles in such conditions.

I always wore a cotton shirt. Soaking it periodically with water (and keeping moving) was the best
way to stay relatively cool. No plastic shirt will hold moisture long enough for this effect to be
worthwhile.

Under sweaty conditions like that, plastic shirts also develop a deep-seated stink that
won't wash out.

And they're expensive and foolish-looking.

Chalo Colina

On 26 Jun 2003 12:36:18 -0700, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>P.S.: Don't wear cotton. As the old saying goes, "Cotton kills". Go for a ride on a 100 degree F
> day with cotton on and you will know what they meant.

Googling it up, every one of the "cotton kills" references I find refer very specifically to COLD
days, not warm. Specifically, to the fact that when wet (with sweat or rain) and cold/windy, you go
into hypothermia easily. In hot conditions, on the other hand, when the trick is not so much to stay
warm but to cool off as much as possible, cotton should be the most suitable rather than the least.
Not terribly scientific study there suggests that cotton cools you off even more than going naked:

http://www.losalamos.org/lasar/lafb/cotton_kills.htm

Jasper

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I always wore a cotton shirt. Soaking it periodically with water (and keeping moving) was the best
> way to stay relatively cool. No plastic shirt will hold moisture long enough for this effect to be
> worthwhile.

Depends on the humidity. In dry enough heat, cotton is more comfortable, but as soon as evaporation
rate falls behind sweat rate, it gets less comfortable than the better synthetics.

> And they're expensive and foolish-looking.

Yeah, but you can get Coolmax Alta t-shirts for $10 or so, look just like cotton, work much better
in high humidity.

Yeah, and the whole time you are soaking wet and miserable (at least I was when I wore cotton when
it was hot). I know that the saying is actually referencing cold weather, but I would bet that the
"cooling" provided by cotton in hot weather is minimal when compared to something like, say, a
cool-max t-shirt that doesn't "look stupid".

There are many technical fabric options infinitely better (i.e. more comfortable) than cotton for
sweat management that are not cycling jerseys per se. If chalo wants to stew in his own sweat, that
is fine with me, but I prefer to stay dry.

Look into MTB jerseys or cool-max tees. Outlets like Sierra Trading Post will sell you one for under
$10 and I will guarantee (in a rhetorical sense) that you will find them infinitely more comfortable
than cotton.

App

news:<[email protected]>...

On 27 Jun 2003 13:50:21 -0700, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>Yeah, and the whole time you are soaking wet and miserable (at least I was when I wore cotton when
>it was hot). I know that the saying is actually referencing cold weather, but I would bet that the
>"cooling" provided by cotton in hot weather is minimal when compared to something like, say, a
>cool-max t-shirt that doesn't "look stupid".

>There are many technical fabric options infinitely better (i.e. more comfortable) than cotton for
>sweat management that are not cycling jerseys per se. If chalo wants to stew in his own sweat, that
>is fine with me, but I prefer to stay dry.

Anything that doesn't get wet can't provide the cooling effect that something that does get wet
does. Unless it wicks all the transpiration to the outside, leaving none on the inside, but on said
outside it is allowed to evaporate and the cooling effect is transferred back to inside. I don't
know of any of those.

Jasper

"example.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> SO I want to buy one of those TEAM Jerseys.

Glad to see you want to become a real cyclist!

Wearing the proper kit separates us roadies from the herd. Check out www.probikekit.com

Once you get it right you will realize just how lame and worthless those types are, you know the
ones, they ride around in those cheap tee shirts that shout " look, I shop at Wal-Mart and don't
give a damn about myself".

Stay away from those lamers. They're just background noise, we are what's happening out on the road.

People with low self-esteem will always try to bring us, the elite, down a peg or two.

The attitude of a lamer freddy out on a hybrid bike wearing a stupid cotton shirt is the very same
attitude of those creeps in Central Park who swarmed that jogger and nearly killed her, and that is
- those cotton shirters see a top roadie like me, a guy who is at the top of his sport and it makes
them feel inadequate, all they can do is talk trash and criticize our kit.

We know, they really deep down wish they could look the look, and ride the ride, but for reasons of
their own they go on living like ****.

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> writes:

> We know, they really deep down wish they could look the look, and ride the ride, but for reasons
> of their own they go on living like sh** [my editing; this is a family ng -- TK].

Maybe you can help me with my current "look" problem.

When I'm cruisin' along the retail/trendy strips, I'm wont to pull-over, and walk my bike on the
sidewalk as I peer in the shop/bistro/boutique windows to see what they've got.

When doing so, I've got this habit of kicking the near pedal around so it goes behind my calf, so it
doesn't whack me, and I don't step on the dangly toe strap. Trouble is, sometimes I accidentally
kick it so hard, it /does/ whack me, right in the shin. So now I've got this ladder of scabs up my
right shin.

With all those wounds, I just can't shave around there. So howz 'bout if I just shave my left leg?
Maybe a pair of Dayton Black Beauties would provide some armour against that type of injury?

Matter of fact, I've considered talking to them about cookin' up a touring shoe -- y'know, with the
steel shank in the sole 'n all that.

I still like my VP pedals -- even tho' they bite, sometimes.

cheers, & East End salutations, Tom