Jesse's film tips

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.

    This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.

    Makes you want to move to Canada.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. but we have better gun laws here

  3. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This is a mega-movie.

    Is there any cycling in it?

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >
    > This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    > and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >
    > Makes you want to move to Canada.

    Guy, I readily accept that the movie has some lessons for us all, but it is not factual, and a lot
    of it was done for the cameras, so don't take it too seriously. Have you seen the original 1930s
    version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"? Awesome.

    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  5. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    Yeah, interesting stuff. When I was over in Sacramento at the year end staying with girlfriend, I
    got into a conversation with the guy who live opposite her. He's a retired cop and a friendly guy
    <retired through bad health I think>, and was telling me about a bad incident with a coule of
    pit-balls roaming their street and killing another dog in the 'hood'. Well this guy is really into
    his 'pets'. Anyway, getting to the point - this guy arrived after the fatality had taken place,
    seeing the dead dog in the mouth of one of the bit-balls, and because he didn't actually see it
    happen, he refrained from 'taking action'. We all know what 'taking-action' means in this context.
    So, anyway, regretting the lack of available firearms at the time, he has sorted this now by
    *always* leaving his front door with his hand-gun safely tucked in his pocket - which he then
    casually pulled out to show me. Humm, nice...

    Showing me his 'kick-ass' motorbike, there also lies within the 'glove-compartment' a similar
    pistol. And his gun-cabinet inside? 'Forget it'...as they say...jeeze...

    I say this not for any reason as such, but just that there I was in Sacramento, in a very 'average',
    maybe 'low-end' part of town and this seemingly regular guy has all this stuff. No big deal. What
    the hell!!

    Different world.

    They really are an odd lot...but very kind of intriging all the same
    :) Bless em.....I'd of thought a good flick to make these days would
    be 'The Man with the Smoking Gun'. Ok, I'll get me coat...

    Fantastic bike path in Sacramento though....60 mile round trip, up to Folsom lake and back, all
    totally off road, beautifully smooth tarmac....you 'racing' dudes would love it.....but it has a
    speed limit of 15 miles an hour!!!...tis California afterall....lol.

    Time for bed.

    bob

    >Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >
    >This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    >and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >
    >Makes you want to move to Canada.
    >
    >Guy
    >===
    >** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    >dynamic DNS permitting)
    >NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  6. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> said:
    > Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >
    > This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    > and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >
    > Makes you want to move to Canada.

    I had the counter-argument played at me by the before-evening-session bloke on Radio 1. It's called
    Avril Lavigne.

    *urgh*

    My indier-than-thou film of the year it has to be City Of God FWIW

    "We knew that nobody from Sao-Paulo could be cool..."

    Regards,

    -L'il ze

    PS On a biking note I was almost assasinated by a tree surgeon this morning. They really should
    check who is coming before lopping branches off onto the road....

    Not that I'm about to argue with someone wielding a chainsaw, having viewed the complete Evil Dead
    canon many times

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:

    > Is there any cycling in it?

    Fair point - but there is a good bit where he tries to get a police sergeant to arrest the people
    responsible for the haze of pollution over Los Angeles which makes it impossible to see the
    Hollywood Hills from a relatively short distance away. Plod was not interested, sadly, being more
    committed to a "near drowning."

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    > Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >
    > This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    > and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >
    > Makes you want to move to Canada.
    >
    > Guy

    To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of Beijing
    Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
    it.

    news:[email protected]...

    There's a whole festival for this genre! http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/main.html

  10. Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >>
    >>This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
    >>and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >>
    >>Makes you want to move to Canada.
    >>
    >>Guy
    >

    > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
    > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
    > it.

    The Bicycle Thieves

    Colin

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
    > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's
    about
    > it.

    The Bicycle Thieves

    and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for the sharing, usually
    illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the manager had to make frequent bicycle trips.

    See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0

    Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would be fit and 2) his bike
    must have been very strong!!

  12. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for
    the
    > sharing, usually illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the
    manager
    > had to make frequent bicycle trips.
    >
    > See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0
    >
    > Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would
    be
    > fit and 2) his bike must have been very strong!!

    cinema paradiso had a scene of this.

    cheers, clive

  13. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Clive George <[email protected]> writes
    >"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for
    >the
    >> sharing, usually illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the
    >manager
    >> had to make frequent bicycle trips.
    >>
    >> See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0
    >>
    >> Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would
    >be
    >> fit and 2) his bike must have been very strong!!
    >
    >cinema paradiso had a scene of this.
    Il Postino didn't but a bicycle plays a supporting role...
    http://archives.obs-us.com/obs/english/films/mx/postino/toc.htm and
    http://www.lone-star.net/literature/postino/
    --
    DP

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> This is a mega-movie.
    >
    > Is there any cycling in it?

    I think he meant the mega cycling movie, Bowling Along to Columbine :)

    Tony

  16. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:29:30 +0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
    >> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
    >>>
    >>>This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this
    >>>film, and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
    >>>
    >>>Makes you want to move to Canada.
    >>>
    >>>Guy
    >>

    >> To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
    >> Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
    >> it.
    >
    >The Bicycle Thieves

    Star Trek.

    Giant

    Bring me the headset of Alfredo garcia

    Tim

  17. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    > Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

    > > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
    > > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
    > > it.
    >
    > The Bicycle Thieves

    How about:

    Movies Bicycle (1997) Bicycle Clown, The (1958) Bicycle Flirt, The (1928) Bicycle Girl (1897)
    Bicycle Hora (1968) Bicycle Parade on the Boulevard (1896) Bicycle Race, The (1920) Bicycle Safety
    (1975) Bicycle Trick Riding, No. 2 (1899) Jitensha toiki (1990) ...aka Bicycle Sighs (1990)
    (International: English title) Ladri di biciclette (1948) ...aka Bicycle Thief, The (1949) (USA)
    ...aka Bicycle Thieves (1948) (UK) Rower (1955) ...aka Bicycle (1955) Paced Bicycle Race, A (1897)
    Beyaz bisiklet (1986) ...aka White Bicycle, The (1986) (International: English title) Boy on a
    Bicycle (1965) ...aka Boy and Bicycle (1965) (UK) Columbia Bicycle Factory (1897) Shiqi sui de dan
    che (2001) ...aka Beijing Bicycle (2001) (International: English title) ...aka Beijing Bicycle
    (2001) (France) Zaczarowany rower (1955) ...aka Magical Bicycle (1955) Faulkner's Bicycle (1997) You
    and Your Bicycle (1960) Selyaninut s koleloto (1974) ...aka Peasant On a Bicycle, A (1974)
    (International: English title) ...aka óÅÌÑÎÉÎßÔ Ó ËÏÌÅÌÏÔÏ (1974) (Bulgaria: Bulgarian title:
    original Cyrillic KOI8-R title) Kanarini podilato, To (1999) ...aka Canary Yellow Bicycle, The
    (1999) (International: English title) One-Third Mile Bicycle Race (1897) Da otkriesh velosipeda
    (1989) ...aka To Discover the Bicycle (1989) (Europe: English title) ...aka äÁ ÏÔËÒÉÅÛ ×ÅÌÏÓÉÐÅÄÁ
    (1989) (Bulgaria: Bulgarian title: original Cyrillic KOI8-R title) Elefante y la bicicleta, El
    (1995) ...aka Elephant and the Bicycle, The (1995) (Australia: literal English title) I'm No Fool
    with a Bicycle (1955) Vélo de Ghislain Lambert, Le (2000) ...aka Ghislan Lambert's Bicycle (2000)
    (International: English title) Jeffries Training on Bicycle (1899) Unique Race, A (1899) ...aka
    Unique Race Between Elephant, Bicycle, Camel, Horse and Automobile, A (1902) (USA: copyright title)
    Rudge and Whitworth, Britain's Best Bicycle (1902) TV-Movies Bicycle Corps: America's Black Army on
    Wheels, The (2000) (TV) Elgar: Fantasy of a Composer on a Bicycle (2002) (TV)

    Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com

    Graham

  18. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 30 Jan 2003 12:57:29 -0800, [email protected] (Graham Glen) wrote:

    >> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
    >

    >> > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
    >> > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
    >> > it.

    <snip huge list>

    >Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com

    And there was me thinking you had a mind full of useless information.

    One more:

    I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

    Tim

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:02:55 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

    I thought that was John McVie?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  20. Graham Glen

    Graham Glen Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 30 Jan 2003 12:57:29 -0800, [email protected] (Graham Glen) wrote:
    >

    ><snip huge list>
    >
    >>Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com
    >
    >And there was me thinking you had a mind full of useless information.

    I do have a mind full of useless information, it's just different useless information to that!

    Graham
    --
    Graham Glen