Jesse's film tips

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.

This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.

Makes you want to move to Canada.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
>
> This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
> and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
>
> Makes you want to move to Canada.

Guy, I readily accept that the movie has some lessons for us all, but it is not factual, and a lot
of it was done for the cameras, so don't take it too seriously. Have you seen the original 1930s
version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"? Awesome.

> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

Yeah, interesting stuff. When I was over in Sacramento at the year end staying with girlfriend, I
got into a conversation with the guy who live opposite her. He's a retired cop and a friendly guy
<retired through bad health I think>, and was telling me about a bad incident with a coule of
pit-balls roaming their street and killing another dog in the 'hood'. Well this guy is really into
his 'pets'. Anyway, getting to the point - this guy arrived after the fatality had taken place,
seeing the dead dog in the mouth of one of the bit-balls, and because he didn't actually see it
happen, he refrained from 'taking action'. We all know what 'taking-action' means in this context.
So, anyway, regretting the lack of available firearms at the time, he has sorted this now by
*always* leaving his front door with his hand-gun safely tucked in his pocket - which he then
casually pulled out to show me. Humm, nice...

Showing me his 'kick-ass' motorbike, there also lies within the 'glove-compartment' a similar
pistol. And his gun-cabinet inside? 'Forget it'...as they say...jeeze...

I say this not for any reason as such, but just that there I was in Sacramento, in a very 'average',
maybe 'low-end' part of town and this seemingly regular guy has all this stuff. No big deal. What
the hell!!

Different world.

They really are an odd lot...but very kind of intriging all the same
:) Bless em.....I'd of thought a good flick to make these days would
be 'The Man with the Smoking Gun'. Ok, I'll get me coat...

Fantastic bike path in Sacramento though....60 mile round trip, up to Folsom lake and back, all
totally off road, beautifully smooth tarmac....you 'racing' dudes would love it.....but it has a
speed limit of 15 miles an hour!!!...tis California afterall....lol.

Time for bed.

bob

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> said:
> Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
>
> This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
> and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
>
> Makes you want to move to Canada.

I had the counter-argument played at me by the before-evening-session bloke on Radio 1. It's called
Avril Lavigne.

*urgh*

My indier-than-thou film of the year it has to be City Of God FWIW

"We knew that nobody from Sao-Paulo could be cool..."

Regards,

-L'il ze

PS On a biking note I was almost assasinated by a tree surgeon this morning. They really should
check who is coming before lopping branches off onto the road....

Not that I'm about to argue with someone wielding a chainsaw, having viewed the complete Evil Dead
canon many times

Geraint Jones wrote:

> Is there any cycling in it?

Fair point - but there is a good bit where he tries to get a police sergeant to arrest the people
responsible for the haze of pollution over Los Angeles which makes it impossible to see the
Hollywood Hills from a relatively short distance away. Plod was not interested, sadly, being more
committed to a "near drowning."

--
Guy
===

> Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
>
> This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
> and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
>
> Makes you want to move to Canada.
>
> Guy

To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of Beijing
Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
it.

news:[email protected]...

There's a whole festival for this genre! http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/main.html

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
>>
>>This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this film,
>>and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
>>
>>Makes you want to move to Canada.
>>
>>Guy
>

> To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
> Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
> it.

The Bicycle Thieves

Colin

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
> Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's
about
> it.

The Bicycle Thieves

and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for the sharing, usually
illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the manager had to make frequent bicycle trips.

See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0

Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would be fit and 2) his bike
must have been very strong!!

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for
the
> sharing, usually illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the
manager
> had to make frequent bicycle trips.
>
> See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0
>
> Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would
be
> fit and 2) his bike must have been very strong!!

cinema paradiso had a scene of this.

cheers, clive

In message <[email protected]>, Clive George <[email protected]> writes
>"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> and, according to my very old Haliwell, bicycling is a 'trade term' for
>the
>> sharing, usually illegally, of one print between two theatres -- the
>manager
>> had to make frequent bicycle trips.
>>
>> See -- all cyclists are criminals at heart :0
>>
>> Mind you, given the weight of half a dozen reels of 35mm film 1) he would
>be
>> fit and 2) his bike must have been very strong!!
>
>cinema paradiso had a scene of this.
Il Postino didn't but a bicycle plays a supporting role...
http://archives.obs-us.com/obs/english/films/mx/postino/toc.htm and
http://www.lone-star.net/literature/postino/
--
DP

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:29:30 +0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Today I are been mainly watching Bowling for Columbine.
>>>
>>>This is a mega-movie. The Western world is divided into two groups: those who have seen this
>>>film, and those who need to see this film. I laughed and I cried. Yes, really.
>>>
>>>Makes you want to move to Canada.
>>>
>>>Guy
>>

>> To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
>> Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
>> it.
>
>The Bicycle Thieves

Star Trek.

Giant

Bring me the headset of Alfredo garcia

Tim

> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
> > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
> > it.
>
> The Bicycle Thieves

How about:

Movies Bicycle (1997) Bicycle Clown, The (1958) Bicycle Flirt, The (1928) Bicycle Girl (1897)
Bicycle Hora (1968) Bicycle Parade on the Boulevard (1896) Bicycle Race, The (1920) Bicycle Safety
(1975) Bicycle Trick Riding, No. 2 (1899) Jitensha toiki (1990) ...aka Bicycle Sighs (1990)
(International: English title) Ladri di biciclette (1948) ...aka Bicycle Thief, The (1949) (USA)
...aka Bicycle Thieves (1948) (UK) Rower (1955) ...aka Bicycle (1955) Paced Bicycle Race, A (1897)
Beyaz bisiklet (1986) ...aka White Bicycle, The (1986) (International: English title) Boy on a
Bicycle (1965) ...aka Boy and Bicycle (1965) (UK) Columbia Bicycle Factory (1897) Shiqi sui de dan
che (2001) ...aka Beijing Bicycle (2001) (International: English title) ...aka Beijing Bicycle
(2001) (France) Zaczarowany rower (1955) ...aka Magical Bicycle (1955) Faulkner's Bicycle (1997) You
and Your Bicycle (1960) Selyaninut s koleloto (1974) ...aka Peasant On a Bicycle, A (1974)
(International: English title) ...aka óÅÌÑÎÉÎßÔ Ó ËÏÌÅÌÏÔÏ (1974) (Bulgaria: Bulgarian title:
original Cyrillic KOI8-R title) Kanarini podilato, To (1999) ...aka Canary Yellow Bicycle, The
(1999) (International: English title) One-Third Mile Bicycle Race (1897) Da otkriesh velosipeda
(1989) ...aka To Discover the Bicycle (1989) (Europe: English title) ...aka äÁ ÏÔËÒÉÅÛ ×ÅÌÏÓÉÐÅÄÁ
(1989) (Bulgaria: Bulgarian title: original Cyrillic KOI8-R title) Elefante y la bicicleta, El
(1995) ...aka Elephant and the Bicycle, The (1995) (Australia: literal English title) I'm No Fool
with a Bicycle (1955) Vélo de Ghislain Lambert, Le (2000) ...aka Ghislan Lambert's Bicycle (2000)
(International: English title) Jeffries Training on Bicycle (1899) Unique Race, A (1899) ...aka
Unique Race Between Elephant, Bicycle, Camel, Horse and Automobile, A (1902) (USA: copyright title)
Rudge and Whitworth, Britain's Best Bicycle (1902) TV-Movies Bicycle Corps: America's Black Army on
Wheels, The (2000) (TV) Elgar: Fantasy of a Composer on a Bicycle (2002) (TV)

Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com

Graham

On 30 Jan 2003 12:57:29 -0800, [email protected] (Graham Glen) wrote:

>> Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>

>> > To get this on topic - how about a list of films with bicycles in the titles. I can think of
>> > Beijing Bicycle, BMX Bandits and erm... that's about
>> > it.

<snip huge list>

>Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com

And there was me thinking you had a mind full of useless information.

One more:

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

Tim

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:02:55 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

>I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

I thought that was John McVie?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
<[email protected]> writes
>On 30 Jan 2003 12:57:29 -0800, [email protected] (Graham Glen) wrote:
>

><snip huge list>
>
>>Although I must admit I merely searched on imdb.com
>
>And there was me thinking you had a mind full of useless information.

I do have a mind full of useless information, it's just different useless information to that!

Graham
--
Graham Glen