Jesse's reading tips

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Today I are been mainly reading Unsafe At Any Speed by Ralph Nader. I can quite see why it put the
    cat among the pigeons when published....

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > Today I are been mainly reading Unsafe At Any Speed by Ralph Nader. I can quite see why it put the
    > cat among the pigeons when published....

    The wonderful Chevy Corvair?

    Does he also mention the Ford Pinto with the petrol tank that incinerated the passengers in the
    event of a rear ender? Fords bean counters reckoned the odd court case was cheaper than re-designing
    the Pinto!

    Pete

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:56:24 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The wonderful Chevy Corvair?

    's the one. And loads of other stuff - like hanging back on introducing disc brakes, ABS, seat
    belts, impact absorbing dashboards, collapsible steering columns.....

    >Does he also mention the Ford Pinto with the petrol tank that incinerated the passengers in the
    >event of a rear ender?

    I think that the book may predate the Pinto, but ICBW.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does he also mention the Ford Pinto with the petrol tank that incinerated the passengers in the
    > event of a rear ender? Fords bean counters reckoned the odd court case was cheaper than
    > re-designing the Pinto!

    You have to credit them with honesty about it though. When Ford first launched it the advertising
    line was "Driving a Pinto leaves you with a warm feeling" and they were right.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  5. > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > Today I are been mainly reading Unsafe At Any Speed by Ralph Nader. I can quite see why it put
    > > the cat among the pigeons when published....
    >
    > The wonderful Chevy Corvair?

    The Triumph Herald had a suspension pretty similar to the Corvair's. My ex-father-in-law's Herald
    inverted itself once in just the way Nader's book describes. My father-in-law was most surprised to
    find himself hanging upside down from his seat belt.

    Jeremy Parker